300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about ASP hiring process

I have a question about drug use and how bad my past could or will affect my future dream of becoming a Trooper. I will try to make this short and to the point. I am currently deployed in Iraq and would like to join the Asp when I return home in a few months. One of my issues comes from reading some of the post. I make it no secret that before I joined the military 4 yrs. ago I had some dealings with drugs. I have tried several and even done marijuana for a period of time. I have never lied about what I did in the past for that has help me to become the person i am. Someone I am not ashamed to be. When it comes to the Polygraph and Background investigation I’m afraid my past will disqualify me. I have a friend that is an ASP officer and has told me that the marijuana won’t be an issue but I wonder how bad the rest will affect me. I also wonder if having him put in a good word for me will really do any good. All I am looking for is an honest answer from someone who really knows if I should give it up and just move on or if I have shot. I really weather not waste my time if I have no chance. I was hoping that the military and the length of time that has past since I have had anything to do with drugs would redeem me somewhat anyways.

Originally posted by cla2000 View Post
    I have a question about drug use and how bad my past could or will affect my future dream of becoming a Trooper. I will try to make this short and to the point. I am currently deployed in Iraq and would like to join the Asp when I return home in a few months. One of my issues comes from reading some of the post. I make it no secret that before I joined the military 4 yrs. ago I had some dealings with drugs. I have tried several and even done marijuana for a period of time. I have never lied about what I did in the past for that has help me to become the person i am. Someone I am not ashamed to be. When it comes to the Polygraph and Background investigation I’m afraid my past will disqualify me. I have a friend that is an ASP officer and has told me that the marijuana won’t be an issue but I wonder how bad the rest will affect me. I also wonder if having him put in a good word for me will really do any good. All I am looking for is an honest answer from someone who really knows if I should give it up and just move on or if I have shot. I really weather not waste my time if I have no chance. I was hoping that the military and the length of time that has past since I have had anything to do with drugs would redeem me somewhat anyways.
    First off, what kind of drugs are you talking about, and how long ago did you do them?

Comment

If you took any hardcore drugs, (cocaine,meth,LSD,heroine) within at least the past 5 years, you'll probably be dq. They might even go back further.

Comment

well marijuana was 4yrs. ago cocaine and ecstacy i only tried once and didn't like it so i never tried it again was 6yrs ago. I realize how bad i must look but i was young and ever one makes a mistake and at the time i really wasn't thinking about what i might want to do later in life. yes i realize that is no excuse. I just hate that it may ruin my chances now.
        Last edited by cla2000; 09-07-2008, 02:32 PM.

Comment

Your best bet is to contact a recruiter from ASP and find out from that person. All you can do is try and see. If they turn you down you can look at applying with city departments that may not be as strict in the hiring process.

Comment

Well I appreciate the feedback and I will defiantly take the advice.

Comment

cla2000

I would be very suprised if you were hired at all. I'm just telling you like it is. ASP is not going to go near you and neither will LRPD or NLRPD. I would bet that none of the larger departments in the state will.

I would suggest working at a smaller department and establish a good work history and try again later.

good luck

Comment

When I was at ALETA we were covering a unit on drug use and the insturctor asked the class of 85 if anyone had ever used concaine. Two raised their hand.
                Last edited by ArkansasFan24; 09-09-2008, 02:20 PM.

Comment

Like I said I would suggest a smaller department. I suppose there are exceptions to every rule.

Comment

Going in to take my polygraph this morning....a little nervous

Comment

how did your poly go...I hear they can take up to four hours

Comment

It went well. I passed. Now I'm just waiting on the background investigator to contact me so i can send in more paper....and to get the official word as to when the next troop school will begin.
                        I got there at 8 and I left right at lunch.

Comment

does anyone know what type of questions will be asked during the oral interview with the board?

Comment

Were you told what "board" you would be interviewing with? Particularly what members of the department you would be in front of?

Comment

No, I havn't been told anything, other than what is on the hiring process list...."Arkansas State Police Applicant Interview Board", which is followed by an interview with the Director.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3612 users online. 167 members and 3445 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X