300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Traffic question for someone in DPS

Not sure if this is actually DPS or city... but...

If I were to come up to one of those ramp meters entering the freeway... do I really have to stop if there is no traffic on the ramp and traffic on the freeway is moving at normal speeds? Would any of you DPS ofc's give me a ticket for this?

My reasoning is... If I have to come to a complete stop and then accelerate back to speed to enter the freeway as to not slow traffic on the main line... aren't I defeating the purpose of the meters? Also, it uses a lot more gas to stop and then go again for no reason... not to mention the polution that is creates!

I see a lot of people do it and was wondering what the law was on it... i'm thinking you are going to say red light=red light... but you have to admit that I have a good point, right

Why don't they have sensors that read the freeway speed and ramp traffic, and just stay green?

I was pulled over for this about three weeks ago.... apparently you do need to stop. haha
    ------------------------------------------------------------
    Legum servi sumus ut liberi esse possimus.

La Juda, Los Chotas, La Placa =
    -------------------------------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by RRA640 View Post
      Not sure if this is actually DPS or city... but...

If I were to come up to one of those ramp meters entering the freeway... do I really have to stop if there is no traffic on the ramp and traffic on the freeway is moving at normal speeds? Would any of you DPS ofc's give me a ticket for this?

My reasoning is... If I have to come to a complete stop and then accelerate back to speed to enter the freeway as to not slow traffic on the main line... aren't I defeating the purpose of the meters? Also, it uses a lot more gas to stop and then go again for no reason... not to mention the polution that is creates!

I see a lot of people do it and was wondering what the law was on it... i'm thinking you are going to say red light=red light... but you have to admit that I have a good point, right

Why don't they have sensors that read the freeway speed and ramp traffic, and just stay green?
      1. Yes, you have to stop.

2. The meters are there to limit the amount of traffic entering the highway at any one time in steps. This way, you won't have traffic all jumbled up and trying to merge on to the highway at the same time.

3. Sensors are a good idea, but just setting the meters to work during rush hour is a bit cheaper, I'd prefer a sensors though, which they do have at some ramps, but not all.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

You can be cited for either failure to stop for a red light or failure to obey a traffic control device. That's what I would cite anyway.

Your reasoning is the same as not stopping at a 4-way stop sign because you perceive no traffic around you. No matter what, you have to stop.

Comment

On the same subject but a different angle.

I was joining the freeway through one of those ramps.

the lights were still off. Everyone in front of me was joining just fine because the lights were off. No one was stopping because the lights were off.

Then BAAAMMMM!!!!!! Red Light.

Had to slam on my brakes. Everyone behind me almost rammed into me because they did not see the Red lights come on until I slammed on my brakes.

Oh well. At least I stopped.

Comment

Let me pose it a different way... when approaching the light, it switches from green to red to green... if I adjust my speed so I cross that line in the second that it is green... is that ok?

G-UnitAZ - I don't think you can compare this to a stop sign at an intersection. That type of traffic control is to prevent a crash from cross traffic. These ramp meters only purpose is to space the vehicles so that they merge smoother in to traffic. My opinion is that it actually has the reverse affect when the mainline is traveling at high speed and you have slow vehicles trying to build enough speed to merge in a short distance. That's just my opinion, but rules are rules and I'll continue to abide by them.

Thanks all!

Comment

The best way to find out for sure it to do it, get caught and go to civil traffic court to see how the judge views it. It depends on the nature of the violation.

As for me personally, I would not stop someone who slowed their speed waiting for the green. However, if someone disregarded the red light and blatantly went through it, I would probably cite 28-644A1 (failure to obey traffic control device).

Comment

Originally posted by G-UnitAZ View Post
                The best way to find out for sure it to do it, get caught and go to civil traffic court to see how the judge views it. It depends on the nature of the violation.

As for me personally, I would not stop someone who slowed their speed waiting for the green. However, if someone disregarded the red light and blatantly went through it, I would probably cite 28-644A1 (failure to obey traffic control device).
                Thanks UnitAZ! I don't think i'll be doing any experimenting

Comment

Originally posted by RRA640 View Post
                  Let me pose it a different way... when approaching the light, it switches from green to red to green... if I adjust my speed so I cross that line in the second that it is green... is that ok?
                  yes, as long as you are not slowing your speed enough to block traffic behind you.
                  "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

I have investigated collision for people who have tried to do this,I will always cite them under reasonable and prudent. Unless the person is a physics professor or engineer, I dont think they should try to time the light. The fact that a collision occurred would indicate it is not reasonable or prudent. I know I wish ADOT would just put up a sign saying stop required when meter light operating would clear most of the confusion regarding these lights.
                    Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

Originally posted by AZtribesman View Post
                      I have investigated collision for people who have tried to do this,I will always cite them under reasonable and prudent. Unless the person is a physics professor or engineer, I dont think they should try to time the light. The fact that a collision occurred would indicate it is not reasonable or prudent. I know I wish ADOT would just put up a sign saying stop required when meter light operating would clear most of the confusion regarding these lights.
                      Just to be clear... i'm only talking about the method of timing the green with speed only when there aren't other cars on the ramp.

Comment

I read your post and unless you have eyes all the way around your head, I stand by my post.
                        Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

Originally posted by AZtribesman View Post
                          I read your post and unless you have eyes all the way around your head, I stand by my post.
                          I hear ya!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3053 users online. 143 members and 2910 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X