Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

10yr. exp. looking to move from Mo. to Az. any suggestions on Dept. to apply and live

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 10yr. exp. looking to move from Mo. to Az. any suggestions on Dept. to apply and live

Hey guys looking to make a change and move from Mo. to Az. Got 10yrs. experience, and looking to get out of this humidity and winters. Want to work for department with several different units, and oppurtunities. I saw Tucson pays good, and looks like good department. If someone could help out I would appreciate it.

Also looking to find out where is a good place to live in AZ? Any area where cops live, or affordable housing.

Thanks.

As far as where to live ... totally depends on what you're looking for. I would break AZ down into Metro Phoenix area, (center of state) Tucson area (southern) and then Flagstaff/Prescott (Northern)

We have a state wide DPS (like state troopers) and county sheriffs, the most famous of whom is Joe Arpaio (pink handcuffs and green bologna guy on TV

Biggest department is Phoenix ~ 3500 or so cops. Hired about 1000 new officers in past 4 years and still going. Within the phoenix metro area are smaller departments (Tempe/Chandler/Gilbert/Glendale/Avondale/Surprise)

MCSO (maricopa county sheriff office) covers the Phoenix metro area but I think you have to work the jails for a few years before you can work patrol, and the $$ is not the best.

All housing seems affordable to me, coming from a major East coast city, but then again, if housing in MO is cheap, it might not look the same. Around here you can get a 2 bedroom apt in a nice area for about 1000/mo and probably find a 3/2 1800 ft house for around 225K in a nice area.... much less if you want to live on the outskirts and drive 30-45 mins to work, or much much higher if you live in Prescott or Northern AZ.

The most active areas crime-wise are in the West and South precincts of Phoenix. Phoenix requires that you put in 3 years in patrol before you can move to a specialty assignment, but there are a bunch to choose from.

Can't help you with Tucson ... it's kind of on its own down there, but you had better 'habla' the further south you get. Phoenix proper has a sizeable population of illegals.

Comment

Got you on the housing. Where i live is 30 min. out of St.louis , and i have a 1700 sq. house, 3 bdrms, 2.5 baths. paid 176 for it. so where i live you cn get clue on cost of houses.

Want to come to AZ for the weather, and to do more in my law enforcement career. the departments here that are big pay less then 40000. i make more than that now, and can't take pay cut while living here. ONly 2 big departments close to my current location with different units . Just want to try a little of everything, and at this time just stuck being a patrolman. Already did 10yrs. in patrol, and now ready for something new.

Thanks for helping

Comment

I wouldn't want to live in Tucson and I even have some family down there. I guess it's just a personal thing because growing up in the Phoenix area my entire life as a child and going to ASU you learn to hate Tucson and UofA.
        There are only two good things I can think of about Tucson.....lower house prices and lower gas prices compared to Phoenix.

Comment

DPS seemed like the best "fit" for my family and I. We really are a family. The brotherhood reminds me alot of the Corps. We are a statewide agency...so you can move all over the state (if you are into that) and you can do anything within the agency from patrol to investigations, SWAT, to Air. All under one umbrella (retirement) without changing depts- PLUS!!!!! take home car (couple $K in gas/time). I lateralled from just north of you so feel free to send me more ???'s if you want. From what I can see, DPS may not be top in $$$ right now, but is definately the top to work for.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies
          Be brave and upright, that GOD may love thee
          Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death
          Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong"

Comment

what type of dept are you with now? Sounds like a small town.

I'm not LEO, but I would suggest Chandler, Gilbert, or Tempe in that order, if you like city work, and live in the southeast valley. Our DPS is a great dept too!

Most agency's in the valley have all the units you will find in any big department, but some don't have full time SAU.

Comment

FYI Tuscon is not out of state lateral friendly, they want you to start all over againand go thru their academy.

Comment

Originally posted by Integraautox View Post
                I wouldn't want to live in Tucson and I even have some family down there. I guess it's just a personal thing because growing up in the Phoenix area my entire life as a child and going to ASU you learn to hate Tucson and UofA.
                There are only two good things I can think of about Tucson.....lower house prices and lower gas prices compared to Phoenix.
                Good god man, what brings you to just hate it...is it the size in comparison??? Don't hate us southern brothers down here too much man or else you'll have me feeling bad b/c I'm not up there in the big city

Now I see Tucson Police pays 45,000 and Pima County 42,000 compared to the majority of PD's up north paying average of 57,000. Is there much of a pay difference when you look at the cost of living??

Tucson Police Department
                07/27/08 : Applied
                09/27/08 : Written Test 89/100
                09/28/08 : PT Test Finished Top 3 In Group A
                09/29/08 : Oral Board I Must've Done Well
                10/03/08 : Eligibility Rank #3 Of 51 Remaining
                10/13/08 : Polygraph Passed
                10/15/08 : BI Initiated

Arizona Highway Patrol
                08/18/08 : Applied
                10/13/08 : Withdrawn

Pima County Sheriffs
                10/25/08 : PT Test
                10/25/08 : Written Test
                10/27/08 : Oral Board

"An Arizona Law Enforcement Hopeful"

Comment

Originally posted by jshawn View Post
                  Now I see Tucson Police pays 45,000 and Pima County 42,000 compared to the majority of PD's up north paying average of 57,000.
                  The majority of PHX agencies do not start new officers at 57k.

Comment

Originally posted by tzbv2p View Post
                    The majority of PHX agencies do not start new officers at 57k.
                    Maybe I was reading the different sites incorrectly; I'll have to look again. By chance do you know the difference in cost of living, does it pretty much make it even pay between here and Phoenix. Okay I see that PPD says it starts out at 48,000 so that's not too much more than down here. Money is definitely not my primary reason for seeking a career in LE but at the same time I have to make sure I can raise my family decently.
                    Last edited by jshawn; 08-05-2008, 09:51 PM. Reason: Found Correct Info.

Tucson Police Department
                    07/27/08 : Applied
                    09/27/08 : Written Test 89/100
                    09/28/08 : PT Test Finished Top 3 In Group A
                    09/29/08 : Oral Board I Must've Done Well
                    10/03/08 : Eligibility Rank #3 Of 51 Remaining
                    10/13/08 : Polygraph Passed
                    10/15/08 : BI Initiated

Arizona Highway Patrol
                    08/18/08 : Applied
                    10/13/08 : Withdrawn

Pima County Sheriffs
                    10/25/08 : PT Test
                    10/25/08 : Written Test
                    10/27/08 : Oral Board

"An Arizona Law Enforcement Hopeful"

Comment

Originally posted by Daledog210 View Post
                      Got you on the housing. Where i live is 30 min. out of St.louis , and i have a 1700 sq. house, 3 bdrms, 2.5 baths. paid 176 for it. so where i live you cn get clue on cost of houses.
                      Expect double this price for a comparable home in a decent neighborhood.
                      -918-

Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. James 3:18

Clinging to my guns and religion since 1975

Comment

DPS ? Department of Public Safety? Or is it like Highway Patrol. My current department has about 55 officers. Just not much movement any were. Once your in the det. bureau your there till retirment or promotion. Small traffic unit, 1 guy in county drug unit, and 1 guy in detached dea. Just not alot of big depts. in missouri it seems.

thanks for the info. guys.

Comment

I read in tucson website that if you do get hired laterly they pay you based on experience. And from what i read it would be 72000 starting. I know it's probably b.s., but does anyone actually know?

Comment

Originally posted by Daledog210 View Post
                            DPS ? Department of Public Safety? Or is it like Highway Patrol. My current department has about 55 officers. Just not much movement any were. Once your in the det. bureau your there till retirment or promotion. Small traffic unit, 1 guy in county drug unit, and 1 guy in detached dea. Just not alot of big depts. in missouri it seems.

thanks for the info. guys.
                            http://www.azdps.gov/

Comment

Last edited by Ritchie; 10-17-2008, 01:18 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5941 users online. 334 members and 5607 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X