300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sense of humor

I was running radar at 0700 on Friday morning. I noticed a man on a bicycle riding against the flow of traffic on the sidewalk when there were bike lanes present. Since I was in a part of town known for warrants riding bicycles, I decided to stop and talk to the guy, but if he was clear he would just recieve a warning.

The guy was a complete adam-henry and nearly talked himself into a ticket. Unfortunately, the warrant gods were not smiling on me. I was polite and professional, even when he told me I stopped him because I was profiling him. Yes, I thought I was definately looking for a guy carrying a 12 pack of miller on a bike at 0700 hours. (And yes, he also was released from County Jail last week. Even though he did everything in his power to get ticket, I did not give him one. He told me he understood that riding against the flow of traffic and riding on a sidewalk when there is a bikelane was illegal by city code. I give him the its for his own safety speech. He said that he would rather walk his bike and his beer down the road, than cross the street to obey the law. Have a nice day...

I drove off and turned down a side street to flip a u-turn to go back to my radar spot. I come back to the street, and there is my boy, riding his bike again on the sidewalk against the flow of traffic.

I stopped him and wrote him a city code ticket. I found great humor in the double stop and actually writing a guy who blantantly did not care for anything I just told him. My wife found the humor in it too. One member of my family thought I was totally in the wrong. The question is...would you all have written him a ticket?

If I even bthered to stop him in the first place, then yeah, a ticket's in order. These types think cops are just BSing them & to write 'em reinforces why we're there. Maybe next time he'll listen --- you just made the next cop that stops him life's easier..........

Comment

why wouldn't you have stopped him? i thought the mission was to protect human life and proterty by enforcing state laws. am i wrong?

Comment

at 0700 hours code -7 hasnt even digested yet....too early

Comment

Did he give you the...

"Shouldn't you be going after the REAL criminals?"

Comment

Originally posted by sgt0704 View Post
            why wouldn't you have stopped him? i thought the mission was to protect human life and proterty by enforcing state laws. am i wrong?
            At 0700hrs there's potentially bigger, more serious traffic crimes to look for than a bicyclist. Plus at that hour we're usually chasing the radio answering burglary calls from the night before.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
              At 0700hrs there's potentially bigger, more serious traffic crimes to look for than a bicyclist. Plus at that hour we're usually chasing the radio answering burglary calls from the night before.
              That was my thought. I was wondering where the OP was from if he had time to sit still at 0700.
              -918-

Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. James 3:18

Clinging to my guns and religion since 1975

Comment

I am the first to admit, that was the slowest morning that I had ever had. Nothing was going down and 3rd shift was going 10-7. I was running radar to try and prevent the collisions that normally occupy my morning from occurring.

Yeah, I did get the "why aren't you after real criminals" line. It just happened to come from someone in my family who has never agreed with my choice of careers.

Thanks for all the replies.

Comment

Originally posted by FlyByWire View Post
                  Did he give you the...

"Shouldn't you be going after the REAL criminals?"

I wonder if he was the same passenger I had at 2100 that claimed to be getting profiled and ranting and raving... he talked his driver into a ticket for no plate light as well....
                  " I want your name and badge number" -him
                  "don't worry, you'll have it shortly"

good times.

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies
                  Be brave and upright, that GOD may love thee
                  Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death
                  Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong"

Comment

From a citizen... YES you should have written the ticket! You gave him a chance... isn't that your job? I think you handled it perfectly. You gave him a break on the first stop to obey the laws, which could have protected him from getting hit, or someone else from getting hurt.

Comment

I was never a big cite guy, I would have only stopped him if he looked like scumbag, burglar or tweeker. I would have probably asked him for consent to search and ran the bicycle for stolen through NCIC. Dont think I would have gave him a ticket.

Comment

Burrrpppp

Sorry about my bad attitude jgilts..... Didn't mean to be such a a-hole.. but you gotta understand, I had only finished 6 of by 12 bottles of breakfast....
                        Last edited by asullivan; 08-13-2008, 05:38 PM. Reason: same o'l same o'l
                        Originally posted by mookster
                        Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
                        Originally posted by CityCopDC
                        I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
                        Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
                        I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
                        -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4653 users online. 255 members and 4398 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X