Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Couple Of Questions For You AZ LawDawgs!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Couple Of Questions For You AZ LawDawgs!

#1 For anyone that has watched "The Academy" what are the differences between it and SALEATC and/or ALEA? (E.G: #1 The specific ways that the class sgt. has to dismiss the class, give instructions, etc. #2 Role-Playing, I noticed a vid for NYPD where they did scenarios via a simulator verses actual people, #3 Can't remember more ATM)

#2 What Dept. does everyone work for here in AZ or is that something better left not mentioned?

#3 Seems like being up in the Phoenix area is the place to be for opportunities to get in! Has anyone here lived and/or worked in both Phoenix & Tucson who could give a good opinion of the two?

Tucson Police Department
    07/27/08 : Applied
    09/27/08 : Written Test 89/100
    09/28/08 : PT Test Finished Top 3 In Group A
    09/29/08 : Oral Board I Must've Done Well
    10/03/08 : Eligibility Rank #3 Of 51 Remaining
    10/13/08 : Polygraph Passed
    10/15/08 : BI Initiated

Arizona Highway Patrol
    08/18/08 : Applied
    10/13/08 : Withdrawn

Pima County Sheriffs
    10/25/08 : PT Test
    10/25/08 : Written Test
    10/27/08 : Oral Board

"An Arizona Law Enforcement Hopeful"

1. I think SALETC and ALEA both share certain aspects of "The Academy". Some things are different/better.....some things not so much.

2. In the South Eastern Arizona region, the best municipal/county type agencies are TPD and PCSO imo. Both have pluses and minues, but TPD has better pay and benefits. PCSO has take home rides. As far as the PHX, I dunno....maybe Chandler PD?

3. Tucson and PHX are different beasts altogether. Better pay in the PHX valley, but way more traffic and a slightly higher cost of living. Tucson is more laid back, but gets its share of violent crime.

Comment

Phx is far less "military" than the show, although the accountibility is similiar. We run scenarios all the time using "actors" often veteran officers and the Advanced Training Unit is quite good. It's not at all out of the question to due CQB scenarios at the Patrolman level, something military veterans may appreciate. Personally I'd like to see a more "stress" Academy here, but that decision isn't mine to make. We do have a FATS system for "shoot/don't shoot" scenarios every officer must pass yearly so overall for Partolmen it's pretty thorough.........

Comment

I went to ALEA five years ago. The "Academy" is very similar. One thing not done at ALEA is there is no class sergeant. Officially everyone in the class is equal and no one and we worked it out as a team. Not following one leader. We did have squad leaders for formation who we unofficially went to with class issues. then we had an unofficial class leader who took any issues or questions to staff. But there was nothing official like the "Academy". Our staff dismissed us and gave us direction. I see somethings on the "Academy" I liked better then ALEA and other things I dont.

Comment

My academy was nothing like this. after each day, the class guys went out to get drunk. I would love to attend a academy that has direction and control

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys (wish there were some others that replied) I'm excited and just can't wait til September/October (when all the testing starts) I truly hope I make it as I can't see myself doing anything else anymore. If I have to I'll even settle for ASUPD, TIAPD, or a security position until I get in.

Tucson Police Department
            07/27/08 : Applied
            09/27/08 : Written Test 89/100
            09/28/08 : PT Test Finished Top 3 In Group A
            09/29/08 : Oral Board I Must've Done Well
            10/03/08 : Eligibility Rank #3 Of 51 Remaining
            10/13/08 : Polygraph Passed
            10/15/08 : BI Initiated

Arizona Highway Patrol
            08/18/08 : Applied
            10/13/08 : Withdrawn

Pima County Sheriffs
            10/25/08 : PT Test
            10/25/08 : Written Test
            10/27/08 : Oral Board

"An Arizona Law Enforcement Hopeful"

Comment

Originally posted by cardsfan77 View Post
              My academy was nothing like this. after each day, the class guys went out to get drunk. I would love to attend a academy that has direction and control
              I was thinking the opposite
              ...Did you call the Boys in Blue or the Man in Tan?

Comment

The TV show and the real thing are totally different. Watching the show is motivating, but when actually running 11 miles you have to motivate yourself. While you are in the academy, it goes very slow... once you are done it seems it was over way too fast. It took me a while to realize that I was done, understand that I could go out for lunch anywhere I wanted, and decide for myself when I wanted to take a break. I was "academy institutionalized" for a while.
                "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3993 users online. 175 members and 3818 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X