300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Little Help, please?

Well, I've been retired about 2 years now, joined the Reserves when I retired, figuring it would cure the "itch", but not quite. After a heart-to-heart with the wife she figured going back to work as a full-time LEO wouldn't be too bad so long as I was happy. SOOO, does anyone know of an agency (size doesn't matter) that's looking for a 30 year veteran that's dieing to work K9? Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

What will this do to your retirement. Will it stop and you go back into the system until you retire again, or are you looking for an agency that is under a different pension system?
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Essentially, I'd be starting a whole new retirement account -- not inlike what happens with Fed. employees. ( at least that's what I was told)

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
        Essentially, I'd be starting a whole new retirement account -- not inlike what happens with Fed. employees. ( at least that's what I was told)
        YOud go into the teachers or state retirement fund
        You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

I could live with that. I'm just getting bored

Comment

I am sure this forum doesn't help at all either, makes the itch, itchier! I wish I knew of one. I am sure that there are plenty of small agencies that would love some experience in thier depts but that would mean a move for you. Try DPS.
            -Protect human life and property by enforcing
            state laws, deterring criminal activity, assuring the safety of the motoring public on Arizona’s
            highways and providing vital scientific, technical and operational support to other criminal
            justice agencies.

Comment

Well, that's the thing --- me & the wife want to move (too crowded here) so that's not an issue, hell, I'll even go out of state and having worked for a big & small Dept. I don't have a problem with either

Comment

Would you consider a nice, cushy admin job?

Position: Assistant Police Director (non sworn)

Deadline: 07/07/2008

Salary: $81,584 - $130,353 D

Qualifications: As the Assistant Police Director assists the Police Chief in developing new goals, new deployment plans, and new strategies to meet the ever-increasing service demands of the Department, the ideal candidate must be an effective oral and written communicator with superior administrative and organizational skills. A Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Management or related field and two years of experience as a manager or administrator within a criminal justice environment is required.

Responsibilities: The City of Glendale, AZ (population 250,000), the commercial and educational center of the northwest Phoenix metropolitan area is seeking an Assistant Police Director. The Glendale Police Department employs 425 sworn officers and 167.5 civilian employees. The Department is organized into three functional bureaus: Patrol, Support, and Administration.

The Assistant Police Director oversees the Administration Bureau, comprised of the Administrative Services Division (Training Unit, Personnel Management Unit, Quality Assurance & Accreditation, Court Officers, Community Services Unit, and Municipal Security Staff), and the Technical Services Division (Communications Unit, Records & Callback Unit, and Detention & Property Unit). The Assistant Police Director also oversees the Public Safety Volunteer Program and the Budgets & Grants staff. The Administration Bureau is comprised of 174.5 FTE employees, including 64 sworn and 110.5 FTE civilian personnel. The Assistant Police Director assists in the development and oversight of the Department budget ( 78 million FY 08-09).

For more information, contact:
                Stuart Satow
                241 Lathrop Way
                Sacramento,CA 95815
                Phone: (916)263-1401
                Fax: (916)561-7205
                Email: resumes@cps.ca.gov
                How To Apply: To be considered for this exceptional career opportunity, submit resume and cover letter with current salary and four work-related references by Monday, July 7, 2008 to: Stuart Satow CPS EXECUTIVE SEARCH 241 Lathrop Way Sacramento, CA 95815 Phone: 916-263-1401 Fax: 916-561-7205 Email: resumes@cps.ca.gov Website: www.cps.ca.gov/search
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Hemi- pack it in! Sir ,you've done the work-I'm sure you have the "itch",but there is sooo much to do and NOW you have "free time";unless you go to a tawny suburb,why put yourself back into the "muck"????!! I know you have skills ,and probably could be more effective,without the political /admin B.S. as an academy instructor,or in an investigations position(maybe with an insurance company,or a state specialized unit ) I've seen so many former instructors and seniors NOt live past 10 yrs after retiring ( one of my favorite Sgts got cancer and died 5 yrs after pulling the "pin") I hate to be negative,and I have enjoyed your comments and posts-even the advice you put out,but it seems that going out and "knuckledragging" is below you now.Maybe its just the way that my Dept and our sister dept treats older patrol officers( they idol worship "90 day wonder" cops who can't even spell "probable cause" over the older and more experienced)

good luck in whatever you do-but I'm sure your experience and skills are better used in higher positions,like what L-1 posted...........
                  "we're americans ! We don't quit because we're wrong, we just keep doing it wrong UNTIL it turns out Right"...

Comment

Guys I appreciate all your advice & responses and yes, in some ways perhaps I am over the hill but when you've done something this long it's awfully hard to sit back. I don't feel my age, still work-out & run and generally have a good time. But LE was good to me & I'm thinking I'd like to carry on. Hell yeah, I'd take an admin job --- it's better than nothing!

Comment

30 years?

why not become an FTO and teach the younger folk?

That is a lot of knowledge that is worth its weight in gold.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchie View Post
                        That is a lot of knowledge that is worth its weight in gold.
                        What I wouldn't give for a few shift's worth of "teaching".

Hemi, I respect the hell out of your posts here on the forum and always look forward to your insight. I'm sure you'd make an invaluable asset to any agency that is smart enough to bring you on.

Good Luck.
                        -918-

Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. James 3:18

Clinging to my guns and religion since 1975

Comment

Many in our dept retire and get rehired as "120 day wonders". They are assigned to the courts.

Other depts officers retire and come to ours to double dip.

You will be a cop until the day you die. Having that itch is not bad as we are programed from our date of hire. Doing something different after retirement is the key. Many grow their hair long and have full beards.

What DOAcop said was true..it's time to enjoy retirement..you certainly earned it. Many don't make the 5 year mark. We have diehards who will work until they fall down dead. Why not enjoy life?

Whatever you decide..I wish you well.
                          This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

hemicop, Are you with the Phoenix Reserves? Don't they have the ability to get you into the K-9 community?

Comment

After my father in law retired from the fire department he got on with a local middle school and works security making $16/hr. He loves it, it keeps him busy and he gets the summers off. He lives in Sierra Vista which is where we (my wife and I) both hope to end up. Not too big, but still have everything you need. Like Flagstaff. I grew up in a town of 3500 people in NE AZ. I agree that it is too crowded here. That is why we like Maricopa. Once I start with DPS I will have no real reason to live the city. Here is the Sierra Vista website. Great place to retire and beautiful weather.

http://www.ci.sierra-vista.az.us/cms...=20&Itemid=145
                              -Protect human life and property by enforcing
                              state laws, deterring criminal activity, assuring the safety of the motoring public on Arizona’s
                              highways and providing vital scientific, technical and operational support to other criminal
                              justice agencies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6767 users online. 288 members and 6479 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X