300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix PD Questions

This is for anyone who works for Phoenix PD. How do you like working for the Department? How many calls do individual officers usually take in a day? Are you allowed to work out during your shifts? Do you get free or discounted meals at restaurants? Do most police cars have two officers? Thanks

Originally posted by 111987 View Post
    This is for anyone who works for Phoenix PD. How do you like working for the Department? How many calls do individual officers usually take in a day? Are you allowed to work out during your shifts? Do you get free or discounted meals at restaurants? Do most police cars have two officers? Thanks
    After 28 years & in light of Valley growth, I'd look at other Depts. But to answer your questions, calls can range from 5 or 6 in the Tatum Ranch area on 3rd shift to 20+ in places like Maryvale, It depends on the time of year & shift you're assigned. work-out during shift? Sorry, no. Discounted meals? Operations Orders prohibit ANY gratuitiies from anyone, so if you accepted it you're subject to discipline. Most officers don't ride 2-man units due to procedure & lack of manpower.......

Comment

Hemi covered your questions but with his usual 'glass is half empty' point-of-view....

His answers are on the money though - no meals/coffee discounts, no work outs on duty, and your daily activities depend on your shift/area.

I would go to 25-30 calls a day working second shift weekends in S Phoenix.

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
        After 28 years & in light of Valley growth, I'd look at other Depts. But to answer your questions, calls can range from 5 or 6 in the Tatum Ranch area on 3rd shift to 20+ in places like Maryvale, It depends on the time of year & shift you're assigned. work-out during shift? Sorry, no. Discounted meals? Operations Orders prohibit ANY gratuitiies from anyone, so if you accepted it you're subject to discipline. Most officers don't ride 2-man units due to procedure & lack of manpower.......
        Why look to other depts? I just go hired and am curious what to expect.

Comment

Originally posted by AzLaw_E View Post
          Why look to other depts? I just go hired and am curious what to expect.
          I thought you got picked up by Buckeye?
          Did Phoenix pick you up as well?

Comment

"glass 1/2 empty"? that's about right....... Anyway, my point is, there ARE other agencies in the Valley with better pay, better morale, better supervisors, better opportunities for advancement mainly because the "good 'ol boy" network isn't as prevelent ( refer to latest PLEA recap article)and faster growing surrounding cities.
            So why join PHX PD? Better training, better (but not perfect) screening of applicants and a more urban environment if that's what you like to work in. I did 28 yrs as a full-time LEO with them & still, when I retired joined the Reserves simply 'cause I enjoyed it. What "newbies" are getting into (since you asked) are tightening restrictions, green management (due to DROP depleting veteran managers) and a Dept. that can't figure out whether to enforce laws or keep the citizenry happy ( remember Cheif Harris's policy on illegals).

Comment

How do you like working for the Department?
              -I like it.
              How many calls do individual officers usually take in a day?
              -From the start of shift until the end of shift.
              Are you allowed to work out during your shifts?
              -if work out means chasing someone in 100F+ weather, yes. Well, I guess you can workout in your 30 minutes + 15 minutes paid lunch break
              Do you get free or discounted meals at restaurants?
              -No
              Do most police cars have two officers?
              -Depends in your squad. My Lt prefers our squad to ride 2-man unit

Comment

Originally posted by geek4life View Post
                How do you like working for the Department?
                Are you allowed to work out during your shifts?
                Well, I guess you can workout in your 30 minutes + 15 minutes paid lunch break

MOU says this is a no-no for sworn hourly workers, but if you can do it and get away with it, I suppose you could.

Comment

What are some of the bad things about PHXPD? (I know it will vary depending on the person). I'm thinking about applying and I'm coming out of NYS.
                  "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

I work for PPD on a civilian basis and I have nothing but positive things to say about the department. Once I graduate ASU on May 9 I'm doing my PAT the next day to continue the hiring process to become a sworn officer. (I've done the written already)

Comment

Originally posted by John2008 View Post
                      What are some of the bad things about PHXPD? (I know it will vary depending on the person). I'm thinking about applying and I'm coming out of NYS.
                      Having been born & raised in NYC & influenced by some really good NYPD officers, I think I'd be safe in saying law enforcement out West is different than back East. Here it's a job & the comraderie isn't as strong as back East, so that'll take some getting used to. Here the Unions are no where near as strong as there, supervisors here have a superiority complex & a "us vs. them" attitude. Favoritism is rampant. What is considered good police work there, could be construed as working in the "gray area" of law enforcement here, which will get you a supervisor generated invewstigation. Many Depts. here aren't as large as ones back East so advancement opportunities may not be what you expect. Out here is more conservative which I think is a "minus", but that's only my opinion. PHXPD has a VERY strong "good 'ol boy" network & if you're not a certain religion it can be hard to go anywhere. The Union (PLEA) is a paper tiger that really doesn't take a strong stand for its officers, IMO. I was told I had to be able to "get along" with Management if I wanted to become a Union Rep. In short would I apply for PHXPD NOW? I don't think so........

Comment

Originally posted by hemicop View Post
                        Having been born & raised in NYC & influenced by some really good NYPD officers, I think I'd be safe in saying law enforcement out West is different than back East. Here it's a job & the comraderie isn't as strong as back East, so that'll take some getting used to. Here the Unions are no where near as strong as there, supervisors here have a superiority complex & a "us vs. them" attitude. Favoritism is rampant. What is considered good police work there, could be construed as working in the "gray area" of law enforcement here, which will get you a supervisor generated invewstigation. Many Depts. here aren't as large as ones back East so advancement opportunities may not be what you expect. Out here is more conservative which I think is a "minus", but that's only my opinion. PHXPD has a VERY strong "good 'ol boy" network & if you're not a certain religion it can be hard to go anywhere. The Union (PLEA) is a paper tiger that really doesn't take a strong stand for its officers, IMO. I was told I had to be able to "get along" with Management if I wanted to become a Union Rep. In short would I apply for PHXPD NOW? I don't think so........
                        thank you for all the info.
                        "Why you harassing me?"

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchie View Post
                          I thought you got picked up by Buckeye?
                          Did Phoenix pick you up as well?
                          I'm at a point where i can pick between the two. Phoenix gave me the final job offer yesterday but buckeye will probably call me sometime next week for there final offer. Just don't know where to go.

Comment

think about chosing the city with better economics to ensure your future.

Comment

Originally posted by AzLaw_E View Post
                              I'm at a point where i can pick between the two.
                              nice place to be.
                              let us know what you decide.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3768 users online. 240 members and 3528 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X