300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question on conditional job offer

So once you recieve a conditional job offer from a agency should you stop applying/testing with other agencies? I asked because I recieved a conditional today, but I still need to do the physc and med eval for this agency. Yet I have interviews and so on with other agencies. Also what about accepting multiple conditional offers? I have only recieved one, but have a feeling this other agency that I have been testing with will be offering me one soon. So if anyone could shed some light on the whole conditional job offer thing I would appreciate it. Thanks
    "If you are a Warrior Legally Authorized To Carry A Weapon And You Step Outside Without A Weapon, Then You Become A Sheep, Pretending That The Bad Man Will Not Come Today. No One Can Be On 24/7 For A Lifetime. Everyone Needs Down Time. But If You Are Authorized To Carry A Weapon, And You Step Outside Without It, Just Take A Deep Breath And Say This To Youself...'baaa'"

***lt. Col. Dave Grossman***

My take on it is that a conditional job offer is a necessary step on the department's part, because the next stages of the hiring process involve gathering a lot of personal/medical/psych info from you. I think because of privacy laws and the like, before that level of intrusion is considered acceptable by an employer, a 'conditional offer of employment' needs to be extended.

Unless you really want to work for a particular department, why would you withdraw from other processes... you're the applicant, they're the employer. I don't think you owe anyone anything at this point. Leave all the apps in and make your decision when you know how many job offers you've got locked up...

Comment

IMO, I would continue in the process with all the agencies that you are applying to. That is what I did before I got in. I dropped out by respectfully calling each agency and telling them I had accepted a position with another agency when I had passed ALL the testing and was given a job offer that had an academy date attached. The problem you might run into by accepting a single conditional offer when there are other steps to do (psych and medical) is that if something happens for this agency in one of those two steps and they drop you, you have already burnt some bridges with the agencies that might have given you a chance.
      Those who say something "can't" be done are usually being passed up by somebody "doing" it.

Comment

I would advise against withdrawing from the other agencies just yet. Remember your offer is "conditioned" on your passing the psych and medical. As you've no doubt learned from your time on o.com, psychs can be unpredictable. Five may say you are fine and one may say you are coo coo for cocopuffs. Similarly, medicals are occasionally quirky. Even then, once you pass your medical, the department could find itself in a last minute budget or other legal crisis it didn't count on that delays the appointment of new hires inedfinately. Until the day comes that you are actually sworn in, I would keep on testing with everyone.
        Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Thank you all for your quick replies. I pretty much feel the same way that you all do. I just wanted to make sure it wouldn't look bad on my part if I continued testing with other agencies. Thanks again
          Last edited by LoKii; 01-02-2008, 03:35 PM.
          "If you are a Warrior Legally Authorized To Carry A Weapon And You Step Outside Without A Weapon, Then You Become A Sheep, Pretending That The Bad Man Will Not Come Today. No One Can Be On 24/7 For A Lifetime. Everyone Needs Down Time. But If You Are Authorized To Carry A Weapon, And You Step Outside Without It, Just Take A Deep Breath And Say This To Youself...'baaa'"

***lt. Col. Dave Grossman***

Comment

If you are lucky enough, you can get accepted by all of the ones you applied to. then you can pick and choose which one you want best.

Comment

I had 3 conditionals before I got hired...
              "Too many times, too many times payin' the price, just for the thrill" - Tesla

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8094 users online. 426 members and 7668 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X