300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Wall

I tested for Phoenix when they were here in Michigan. The only part they could not test us on was the 6' block wall because there was not one there. I will be headed to AZ in June for my next phase and part of that will be to scale the wall.
    My question is ... how many chances to scale the wall do we get? Since we just do not have any block walls around here, I just have not been able to practice that. I have done my 6' wooden privacy fence in my yard.. ha ha but I know it is not the same. Do we get to practice first? Being female I really want to show them I can do this!
    Livin' the dream baby!

When I took the phx physical they used a wood fence not a brick one. They gave people several tries to get over the wall.

Comment

You will have several chances to try and get over it within reasonable time.

Comment

Any tips on how to get over the wall? I am 5'2" and to be honest I am concerned about this wall because its taller than me!!!
        Last edited by angela1434; 05-30-2007, 03:19 PM. Reason: not paying attention to what I am typing!

Comment

I would say you find a 6 foot wall and practice, build up your leg muscles, upperbody. Find out what works best for you. Your best bet is to jump high, grab on the top and flip one leg over. Wish I could be more help but being 6'2" I never put much thought into this event, until now. Good luck*

Comment

ehh if you a girl they let you try till you give up basically but i havent seen them ever not hire a girl just becasue of the wall.

if your 5'2 6ft wall shouldnt be a issue 10 inches higher

I'm 6'3 i can get over a 10ft wall. 3 ft 9 inches higher

Comment

Originally posted by OverCharged View Post
              ehh if you a girl they let you try till you give up basically but i havent seen them ever not hire a girl just becasue of the wall.
              That is true, but eventually you have to get over the wall at the end of the academy otherwise you will not get the badge.

Comment

Thanks. I am just happy I get a few tries. I can get over the 6' wood fence and the 6' chain link so I hope it is not much different than that. I was just worried about my grip on top. With the wood and the chain i have something to grab onto and I don't know how my grip will be on the block wall.
                Guess I'll find out!
                Livin' the dream baby!

Comment

you really cant climb it with your foot you gotta either be able to pull your body wgt over or swing a leg over.

dont plan on slimbing it like your would a rock wall aka wood fence or chain link fence you wont find a toe grip.

most girls are taught to swing kick a leg over top and pull self over form what i have seen.

Comment

If you are having trouble just jump as high as you can and get as much of your body on the ledge as you can. If anything just do a frontflip when you are there. May not look pretty but over a wall is over a wall. :-)

Comment

When I tested I saw several people who couldn't make it and the graders really didn't care, probably because they will teach you in the acadamy exactlly how they want you to go over it so really don't put too much strain into the wall work on the run, push-ups, and your sit-ups those are what disqualifies people not the wall.

Comment

I'm a 5'6" female, and have used two ways to get over the wall. Which was actually way easier than I thought it would be...made it even on the first try, so don't psyche yourself out

Hopefully this will make sense! What works best for me is to grab hold of the top of the wall, then jump a little and kick a leg up, catching the top of the wall with the side of my foot...then pull myself up from there. It helps give you more leverage to pull yourself up if you sort of work the inside of the "up" leg onto the top of the wall, as well as the arm on the same side as the "up" leg. You're mostly pulling yourself up with one side of your body. You wind up at the top almost in a split position, with the "up" leg hanging over the front side of the wall. Then just swing that back leg over and hop down. Btw, I always wind up with some bruising on the inside of my "up" leg and wrist, no matter what.

The other way is to take a couple steps running start, grab the top of the wall...and sort of scramble up as if trying to dig your toes in the face of the wall, pulling yourself up with both arms.

Remember that whichever way you get over, don't turn your back at any time - stay facing forward. And in AZ, especially if it's sunny out (which it usually is), always check the wall first to see how hot the cement is before you try to make it over! It's pretty easy to burn the back of your thigh if you're going over it in shorts on a summer day

Comment

Hi gonnatry, what day of the week did you take the test in michigan, I took it on the sat test date. You should be fine on the wall. Just use your upper body to get your leg high enough then as soon as you get your leg over it your golden.
                          5th Class IMPD Process

Written Exam - Passed
                          Initial Physical - Passed
                          Oral Interview - Passed
                          Polygraph Exam - Passed
                          Med/Psych Exam - July 11th
                          Interim Physical -

Comment

Great tips everyone
                            Reiland- Think I am going to try it just like you said, and try not to psyche myself out (Glad it is not just me.. you should see the bruises after practicing on the wooden fence.. yikes! ha ha).
                            Haber- I tested on that Friday. Going to Phoenix for my oral board, poly, etc. on the 19th! I am SO excited. What about you?
                            Livin' the dream baby!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6113 users online. 365 members and 5748 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X