300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any thoughts on Mesa PD?

I currently work for a Sheriff's Office in NE Florida, I am looking into relocating to Arizona, even though I have never been there, and yes, you can call me crazy! After doing some research online, I found that Mesa PD has a pretty good lateral package, so I applied about 3 weeks ago. My plan is to spend some time in the area when I have to visit to complete the agility test, I plan on spending a few days checking out the area and if for some reason I don't like it at least I haven't spend too much time into it, but I am sure I will love it. I would like to hear from you Arizonians and get your 2 cents about the state, Mesa PD and anything else you would like to add, I want to hear the good and the bad. Even though I applied with Mesa PD, I think I would like to live somewhere else, maybe somewhere where I can see the mountains! any thoughts on that?
    Thanks! ;-)
    Angela

I wouldn't bother with Mesa, the department has no money, its the largest city in the country without property tax and when I went down there to apply I could definitely tell. They are really understaffed and really really lacking in the equipment field. They did just get a new chief about a year ago, so maybe things are turning the corner, but I was not impressed with their communication abilities, I passed everything with flying colors and then just got the FU letter for no apparent reason like 2 months later. The officers that I met were very nice and professional, but I was not impressed with the department itself. Mesa definitely has lots of crime, they have some very nice areas and some huge slum areas, but go for it and see what happens!

Comment

If you like the snow, mountains, hunting, fishing and the mountain man atmosphere, go to Flagstaff/Williams PD in Northern Arizona. Williams pays higher starting 6/07 and another increase in 7/07. Starts around 48,000.
      Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

DetectorAZ:
        I just googled both of those departments and I they appear to be small departments, in smaller cities which is what I am trying to stay away from. I am looking for a bigger department that will afford me more opportunities for growth. Looking into Flagstaff's website, I didn't see anywhere any information for lateral moves, does everyone have to go through the same process? do you know?
        Seems like is quite beautiful in northern Arizona!
        Thanks for your response!

Angela

Comment

Flagstaff does have a lateral program, and you need to check with a BI in Human Resources. They are all in the office with Coconino SO. Both are big departments (Coconino CSO and Flagstaff) as far as action and ability to progress upwards. Williams is a small department that is busy during the tourist season and dead from Jan to May. Hope that helps
          Honesty Pays, Dishonesty Costs, ARE YOU IN DEBT

Comment

I am going to look into it! thank you very much DetectorAz !

Comment

Why not go with DPS www.azdps.gov ??? That's the highway patrol for you Eastcoasters... We're state wide, have a good lateral program and are undermanned everywhere in the state so you can pick where you want to go!

Mesa is a great city, i grew up here and just purchased my second home here, however the city is broke and the department is broke also.
              "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

Omega17632:
                It appears that DPS is a great organization, however, I am not interested in just writting tickets and working crashes and that's unfortunately for me the problem with DPS. As far as their lateral program, they require 3 years on patrol, I have 3 years but only 1 of those on patrol and the rest on investigations, so that would bring the starting salary way too low for me.

Let me ask you, when you say the city is broke, how does that affect the PD? they are still hiring right? I understand they would not be looking at getting new cars and equipment, but what are the other ramifications of the city having no money?

Angela

Comment

Angela,

The city is not broke, and the Mesa Officer I know is not at all unhappy. The city has budget problems, but they keep hiring cops at competative wages, the helicopters (both of them) are still flying, etc...

Every department in this metro area is understaffed right now.

I recommend you try to come over and check Mesa PD for yourself and make your own determination. I will wager you will be pleased with what you see.

Comment

Thank you AZWannabe! I appreciate your reply.

Angela

Comment

Originally posted by angela1434 View Post
                      Omega17632:
                      It appears that DPS is a great organization, however, I am not interested in just writting tickets and working crashes and that's unfortunately for me the problem with DPS. As far as their lateral program, they require 3 years on patrol, I have 3 years but only 1 of those on patrol and the rest on investigations, so that would bring the starting salary way too low for me.
                      What they really mean is three years a sworn Officer, be it in patrol or Criminal Investigations. You would start out at Officer II making 51k, not the lower Officer I pay scale.
                      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Mesa PD is a quality organization, but last I heard, they had over a dozen guys trying to lateral into just our agency alone, and that's not counting PHX PD, Glendale, Surprise, Tempe etc.. I'm not 100 percent sure what the problem is, but something must be going on.
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

AZLawDawg:
                          Thanks for your replies, I surely appreciate the information.

Angela

Comment

Although I am new to LE in general, I went through DPS pre-academy in July and my orientation class had two or three Mesa PD laterals. I remember them saying that more laterals would be moving out of Mesa as the Department deteriorates.
                            Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

Angela,

Look into Peoria PD. A little smaller then Mesa. About 170 Sworn, 250 total PD employees. Two stations with a third on the way.

We have a very easy lateral process. Once hired laterals have a shorter 10 week FTO program. 5k bonus. Peoria is 176 square miles. Peoria is in Maricopa county reaches ten miles into Yavapai County. Has the states second largest lake and plenty of mountain views. Also the home of the Vistancia master planned community.

www.peoriaaz.com

www.vistancia.com

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4703 users online. 227 members and 4476 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X