300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lateral Transfer from AZ DOC

I was wondering if someone is working as a Sergeant with the AZ Dept. Of Corrections or with the MCSO (prisons) and if he wishes to move to any of the city PDs, would he move to the same rank of Sergeant, or would he have to go through the recruiting process, followed by the academy, and then finally starting all over as a police officer again,? Or is there is a test that you would have to take? Are you even eligible to move from the DOC to a city PD?

What is the process like? Is lateral transfer a possibility at all?

Thanks

Coming from DOC, you'd most likely have to start all over again. It is doubtful that your rank would carry over from non-sworn to sworn.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

DOC and Detention are "civilian" positions. If you make the decision to go to a Sworn position, you start at the bottom all over again. Are there laterals? From one civilan poistion to another, yes. From a civilan position to a sworn poition, no.
      "In GOD we trust... All others are run through NCIC."

Comment

You will start off brand new just like the rest of us did. You should, however, be able to transfer over most of your retirement. I worked seven years in DOC and was able to get back 5.7 of it when I started with DPS. What prison do you work at?

Comment

These posts are correct. DOC/Detention Officers are not the same POST qualification. You would have to go through an academy and start a fresh in any AZ agency. A couple of Metro Area PDs have detention officers of their own like Tempe and Scottsdale. You might be able to get a ranked position there if they have them.
          Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

Thanks for the responses guys. I am not into Law Enforcement yet. But I love a career in LE, and I would do anything to be a Law Enforcement Officer, especially a Federal one.

The biggest hurdle in my path is that I am a Lawful Permanent Resident and not a citizen. Therefore I am not eligible for most police agencies. MCSO and DOC, however, accept applications from LPRs like me, for the position of a Detention/Corrections Officer. Since I still have 2-3 years to go before I am eligible to file for naturalization, I wanted to know what I could do to gain some valuable experience, so I thought this might be a good way to go. It is a little disappointing to know now, that my experience might really not help me at all, if and when I do decide to try and move to the position of a Sworn officer, or a Federal position.

I am also planning to enroll in a Masters Program in Criminal Justice and also learn another foreign language. Anybody has any ideas for me on what the best way is for me to chart my career path? I am 30 years old.

-Thanks
            Last edited by wildestkabs; 05-19-2007, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Have you considered the military...it will certainly help with LE and I think it speeds up naturalization.
              Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

Hey I lateraled from AZ DOC to local PD. Oh wait I was a Sworn Investigator (Peace Officer) with DOC.

Yeah buddy a lateral from the DOC rank and file to a police department is not possible. However if your looking to become a Peace Officer look into DOC Investigations. If hired you may be sent to ALEA and become sworn. Much like I did several of us left DOC after becoming sworn and went to local PDs. I had seven years with DOC and 5.5 years of my CORP transferred into PSPRS.

Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Mgrif View Post
                  Hey I lateraled from AZ DOC to local PD. Oh wait I was a Sworn Investigator (Peace Officer) with DOC.

Yeah buddy a lateral from the DOC rank and file to a police department is not possible. However if your looking to become a Peace Officer look into DOC Investigations. If hired you may be sent to ALEA and become sworn. Much like I did several of us left DOC after becoming sworn and went to local PDs. I had seven years with DOC and 5.5 years of my CORP transferred into PSPRS.

Good Luck
                  Thanks for the response. I looked into their website and one of the minimum qualifications is that you must be a U.S. citizen. So I guess that avenue is closed for me as well.

But I will keep trying.

Comment

I do have a suggestion. You may want to start at MCSO as opposed to DOC if you want to untimately become an LEO. You can use it as a stepping stone to become a Deputy within that agency once you get your citizenship.

We have someone from CCSO that Started at DOC, moved over to the Coshise County Jail, and now he's in the Police Academy to become a deputy. The Agency sent him to S.A.L.E.T.C. shortly after he got his citizenship. They like to hire from within if they already see a good work ethic.

Comment

Hi Shazam, thanks for your rely. I thought about that path but am not sure right now. I have around 3 years to go before I can apply for citizenship and I thought that since I ultimately want to be an LEO, why should I wait for 3 years? Why should I not proactively relocate to a state that DOES hire permanent residents as police officers, and save myself all that time?

Anyway, that is what my thought process is right now.

Comment

Are there states that allow for that?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2848 users online. 164 members and 2684 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X