Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another employment question

Hello,

I am aware that there are a multitude of threads pertaining to potential applicants and there eligibility far a career in law enforcement but I figured one more could not hurt. That being said, here is my case...

I am a 22 year old college student who currently resides in Oregon while attending school at Western Oregon University. I will be relocating to Tucson this summer to attend U of A but I would like to apply to the Tucson Police Department. Like everyone else in this world I have had my set backs but was curious if my particular actions would disqualify me from becoming a police officer.

Positives include:

No problems with the law (tickets, arrests, anything)

Strong GPA of a 3.5 (Education ranging from Philosophy to Mathematics and earning a place on the Honor Role, Deans List, and Presidents List)

Positive work experience (Never late and always receive glowing reviews)

Good interpersonal skills (Working in a library at a circulation desk allows me to practice positive interactions with the public)

Good references (Including one from my Uncle who is a detective in Maryland, also the reason why I would like to become a police officer)

Negative:

Between the age of 19-20 I smoked a fair share of marijuana (more than 20 times)

Now I have read that if a person has smoked marijuana more than 20 times in there life time they are automatically disqualified, is this true for the whole nation, state of Arizona, and/or the Tucson Police Department.

Any feedback would be great and if I could get some feedback from someone that has had some experience with the Tucson police department that would be awesome.

Thank you,

Dennis

I'm almost positive every city in AZ would disqualify you for using marijuana more then 20 times. The AZPOST standards say an applicant can't have used it more then 20 and I think every agency has to abide by that

Comment

no marijuana within the last 3 years

Comment

This was simply copied and pasted from the Arizona POST website... Should anwser all your questions, and then some! Keep in mind, ALL AZ Agencies MUST follow these guidelines, and MAY enforce STRICTER guidelines.

R13-4-105. Minimum Qualifications for Appointment

A. Except as provided in subsection (C) or (D), a person shall meet the following minimum qualifications before being appointed to or attending an academy:

1. Be a United States citizen;

2. Be at least 21 years of age; except that a person may attend an academy if the person will be 21 before graduating;

3. Be a high school graduate or have successfully completed a General Education Development (G.E.D.) examination;

4. Undergo a complete background investigation that meets the standards of R13-4-106. A person may begin an academy before the results of the fingerprint check are returned. However, the academy shall not graduate the person and the Board shall not reimburse the academy for the person's training expenses until a qualifying fingerprint check return is obtained;

5. Undergo a medical examination that meets the standards of R13-4-107 within one year before appointment. An agency may make a conditional offer of appointment before the medical examination. If the medical examination is conducted more than 180 days before appointment, the person shall submit a written statement indicating that the person's medical condition has not changed since the examination;

6. Not have been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona;

7. Not have been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces;

8. Not have been previously denied certified status, have certified status revoked, or have current certified status suspended;

9. Not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale marijuana;

10. Not have illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the past three years;

11. Not have ever illegally used marijuana other than for experimentation;

12. Not have ever illegally used marijuana while employed or appointed as a peace officer;

13. Not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale a dangerous drug or narcotic;

14. Not have illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic, other than marijuana, for any purpose within the past seven years;

15. Not have ever illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic other than for experimentation;

16. Not have ever illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic while employed or appointed as a peace officer;

17. Not have a pattern of abuse of prescription medication;

18. Undergo a polygraph examination that meets the requirements of R13-4-106, unless prohibited by law;

19. Not have been convicted of or adjudged to have violated traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles with a frequency within the past three years that indicates a disrespect for traffic laws or a disregard for the safety of other persons on the highway;

20. Read the code of ethics in subsection (F) and affirm by signature the person's understanding of and agreement to abide by the code.
        "In GOD we trust... All others are run through NCIC."

Comment

Thank you sirs. Given the information above I do believe that I need to at least wait a year to apply. As for the definition of experimenting, I honestly believe that my actions fall into that category, I was by no means a pot head nor was I excessive in my use of marijuana. I can only hope that the Tucson Police Department does not apply a specific number of times a person is allowed to smoke marijuana.

In light of the fact that I will have some hurtles to over come, would you agree that taking actions to becoming a volunteer with the police department would be advantageous towards my chances of being hired?

Thank you,

Dennis

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3117 users online. 150 members and 2967 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X