300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Considering Scottsdale PD

I need some advice about applying at SPD.

First, the good about me:

-Steady, long term employment history

-Excellent driving record

-Excellent credit history

-No arrest record

-Physically fit

Now, the debatable:

-I'm 36

-My employment history is that of a bartender

-I've used my credit card to gamble online

And, the bad:

-Drug use--Pot coke, and exctasy, as recently as 2 years ago. Some excessive drinking.

I'm not proud of my drug abuse, or my drinking, for that matter. I am proud of being clean and sober, however, and Ifeel like I've gained perspective and maturity to the point where if I'm given the opportunity to serve as a police officer, I would feel blessed, and I would give 100% every minute of every day on the job. I'm smart, fit, articulate, clean cut and I have a good reputation. My question is two-fold: If I am forthright about my drug use during the initial interview, will i simply be DQ'd, and if so, is resorting to lying on the polygraph useless? I want the job, and feel like I can excel at it if given the chance. Is there anything particular to the Scottsdale hiring proccess that might allow some leeway as it pertains to drug related indiscretions? Simply put, is there any way around this? Thanks.

Well if your even considering the thought of lying on the polygraph and background packet then being a police officer isn't the right job for you. Honesty is one of the major things police departments look for in applicants. Now lets say you decide to be honest about everything then I'd say No you don't have a chance with Scottsdale Police Department. I did some ride alongs and a volunteer position with them a few summers ago and they are very strict on their background policies. You can't have used marijuana more then 10 times in your life. Also when talking to a detective in their departments he said they don't like applicants having tried marijuana at all after the age of 21. Almost all other drugs are an auto DQ, they say a few times are ok but to be honest most departments still won't consider you if you have used anything else, especially just two years ago when you were in your thirties. I'd try to look for a new line of work if I were you.

Comment

I'm a Scottsdale officer. The previous poster isn't exactly correct on the specifics, but he/she has the gist correctly.

I don't see any problems with your disclosure until you got to your drug use. That's going to sink you. You could always talk to a recruiter, but I don't think you'll make it through backgrounds.

If you're even considering being less than truthful on the poly, you should probably look into another line of work. Seriously, man, your integrity is the only thing you have on this job. If you'd sacrifice it just to get the job, well, I don't think you're cut out for this line of work. No offense intended.
      d

Comment

I don't see you really having a chance at being a cop in Arizona, due to your drug use. The minimum standards for AZPOST are no marijuana within three years, no other drugs within seven years, and no use other than for experimentation, which by AZPOST standards means no more than 20 uses of marijuana total and no more than 5 uses since age 21, and for any other drug it is more than 5 times total and 1 time since age 21.

I also agree with the other posters, if you're thinking about lying on your poly or background then this job is not for you.
        1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

Its a safe bet that just about every agency in the Valley would immediatly disqualify you based on your past drug use. As far as even considering trying to go on through and try to lie on the polygraph, you should know better. Integrity is a non-renewable commodity and simply posing that question is a direct hit to your integrity. Police work is not for you.

Comment

Thanks for taking the time guys. You all basically confirmed my expectations. I guess I'm kind of like the horse that can't even get to the starting gate...Oh well. Take care, and remember that there are so many civilians who, althought they may not show it, really appreciate the work you guys do. Keep it up, and God bless.

M

Comment

Originally posted by thirdgod View Post
              AZPOST standards means no more than 20 uses of marijuana total and no more than 5 uses since age 21, and for any other drug it is more than 5 times total and 1 time since age 21.
              oh oh.

What about trying a bottle of steroids.
              The bottle contained 30 tablets. the instructions were 2-3 tablets daily.
              That is a whole 10-15 times
              This was way back in 1989

should I just give up testing and look for another career?
              Last edited by Ritchie; 05-10-2007, 11:30 PM. Reason: changed from botcle to bottle

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchie View Post
                oh oh.

Ritchie,

Dont even start with the "giving up" crap! You sound like a really good guy from all your posts and you seem to really want this. Just remember to be 100% honest about everything. I am thinking you are good though... 1989 was a long time ago. In terms of drug usage that is.
                "In GOD we trust... All others are run through NCIC."

Comment

This was simply copied and pasted from the Arizona POST website... Should anwser all your questions, and then some! Keep in mind, ALL AZ Agencies MUST follow these guidelines, and MAY enforce STRICTER guidelines.

R13-4-105. Minimum Qualifications for Appointment

A. Except as provided in subsection (C) or (D), a person shall meet the following minimum qualifications before being appointed to or attending an academy:

1. Be a United States citizen;

2. Be at least 21 years of age; except that a person may attend an academy if the person will be 21 before graduating;

3. Be a high school graduate or have successfully completed a General Education Development (G.E.D.) examination;

4. Undergo a complete background investigation that meets the standards of R13-4-106. A person may begin an academy before the results of the fingerprint check are returned. However, the academy shall not graduate the person and the Board shall not reimburse the academy for the person's training expenses until a qualifying fingerprint check return is obtained;

5. Undergo a medical examination that meets the standards of R13-4-107 within one year before appointment. An agency may make a conditional offer of appointment before the medical examination. If the medical examination is conducted more than 180 days before appointment, the person shall submit a written statement indicating that the person's medical condition has not changed since the examination;

6. Not have been convicted of a felony or any offense that would be a felony if committed in Arizona;

7. Not have been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces;

8. Not have been previously denied certified status, have certified status revoked, or have current certified status suspended;

9. Not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale marijuana;

10. Not have illegally used marijuana for any purpose within the past three years;

11. Not have ever illegally used marijuana other than for experimentation;

12. Not have ever illegally used marijuana while employed or appointed as a peace officer;

13. Not have illegally sold, produced, cultivated, or transported for sale a dangerous drug or narcotic;

14. Not have illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic, other than marijuana, for any purpose within the past seven years;

15. Not have ever illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic other than for experimentation;

16. Not have ever illegally used a dangerous drug or narcotic while employed or appointed as a peace officer;

17. Not have a pattern of abuse of prescription medication;

18. Undergo a polygraph examination that meets the requirements of R13-4-106, unless prohibited by law;

19. Not have been convicted of or adjudged to have violated traffic regulations governing the movement of vehicles with a frequency within the past three years that indicates a disrespect for traffic laws or a disregard for the safety of other persons on the highway;

20. Read the code of ethics in subsection (F) and affirm by signature the person's understanding of and agreement to abide by the code.
                  "In GOD we trust... All others are run through NCIC."

Comment

oh oh.

Alright Ritchie, I did some digging for you because you seem serious about the job hunt and honest about what you've got going against you. According to AZPOST, "Prior to 1989, steroids were basically unregulated by state law; in 1989, steroids were classified a “prescription only” drug;
                    and finally, on January 1, 1994, steroids were classified in A.R.S. §13-3401 as a “dangerous drug.” Keeping with this evolutionary journey, the Board views
                    steroid use as follows:
                    1. Use before 1989 is irrelevant to the AZ POST rule concerning drug use;
                    2. Use between 1989 and 1994 is unlawful conduct if done without a prescription, and can be considered under the abuse of prescription medication rule;and
                    3. For uses after January 1, 1994, steroids shall be considered a “dangerous
                    drug,” and the 7-year window applies and the drug will be included into
                    the aggregate lifetime limit of 5 uses of dangerous drugs.

Per A.A.C. §R13-4-105, Minimum Qualifications for Appointment, the Board has predetermined certain drug use to be experimental - steroid use is no
                    exception. When an agency head wishes to appoint a peace officer whose pre-employment use of steroids exceeds the Board’s presumption for experimentation, the agency head may have the Board review the use for a determination of experimentation. In such cases, the agency head must petition the Board as outlined in A.A.C. §R13-4-105.C. as follows:
                    C. An agency head who wishes to appoint a person whose illegal use of marijuana or a dangerous drug or narcotic drug is presumed to be not for experimentation under this section shall petition the Board for a determination that, given the unique circumstances of the person’s use, the use was for experimentation. The petition shall:
                    a. Specify the type of illegal drugs used, the number of uses, the age at the time of each use, and the method by which the information came to the agency’s attention, and any attempt made to verify the accuracy of the information. Those factors may include:
                    b. The duration of usage,
                    c. The motivation for use,
                    d. The time lapse since the last use,
                    e. How the drug was obtained,
                    f. How the drug was ingested,
                    g. Why the applicant stopped using the drug, and
                    h. Any other factor the agency head believes is relevant to the Board’s determination."

My source for this info was the May 2004 AZPOST newsletter. So basically, if it was BEFORE 1989, you're off the hook, just tell them about it. If it was DURING 1989, the agency will have to apply for a waiver for you deeming your steroid use "experimental", just like they would if you admitted abusing prescription drugs. From reading the meeting minutes of the last several AZPOST board meetings, the Board is pretty good about granting agency requests for waivers, I guess they figure that if the agency thniks you're good enough to hire and wants a waiver, they know what they're doing. Hope this helps, and good luck.
                    1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

You guys are the freakin BEST !!!!!!!!!

I was really nervous there.

But looking at those dates, I think I am safe.
                      1989 was a wrong date.
                      I graduated 1990
                      Therefore I was thinking that I was a junior in 1989 and I tried it when i was a Junior
                      But that thinking is wrong since a school year is technically spent in two different years.

I graduated 1990 Which means Senior year was August 1989 - May/June 1990
                      Junior year was August 1988 to May/June 1989

and I tried it while going out for football season in my Junior year. which makes it August 1988..................... WHEW !!!

Okay gonna go work out. I am not out yet. Thanks a whole bunch guys. Ya'll made my week
                      Last edited by Ritchie; 05-11-2007, 11:45 AM.

Comment

I'm also seriously considering Scottsdale PD. I'm currently putting my app to get in for testing. Don't drink and never done drugs

Comment

Originally posted by thirdgod View Post
                          Alright Ritchie, I did some digging for you because you seem serious about the job hunt and honest about what you've got going against you. According to AZPOST, "Prior to 1989, steroids were basically unregulated by state law; in 1989, steroids were classified a “prescription only” drug;
                          and finally, on January 1, 1994, steroids were classified in A.R.S. §13-3401 as a “dangerous drug.” Keeping with this evolutionary journey, the Board views
                          steroid use as follows:
                          2. Use between 1989 and 1994 is unlawful conduct if done without a prescription, and can be considered under the abuse of prescription medication rule;and
                          3. For uses after January 1, 1994, steroids shall be considered a “dangerous
                          drug,” and the 7-year window applies and the drug will be included into
                          the aggregate lifetime limit of 5 uses of dangerous drugs.

Per A.A.C. §R13-4-105, Minimum Qualifications for Appointment, the Board has predetermined certain drug use to be experimental - steroid use is no
                          exception. When an agency head wishes to appoint a peace officer whose pre-employment use of steroids exceeds the Board’s presumption for experimentation, the agency head may have the Board review the use for a determination of experimentation. In such cases, the agency head must petition the Board as outlined in A.A.C. §R13-4-105.C. as follows:
                          C. An agency head who wishes to appoint a person whose illegal use of marijuana or a dangerous drug or narcotic drug is presumed to be not for experimentation under this section shall petition the Board for a determination that, given the unique circumstances of the person’s use, the use was for experimentation. The petition shall:
                          a. Specify the type of illegal drugs used, the number of uses, the age at the time of each use, and the method by which the information came to the agency’s attention, and any attempt made to verify the accuracy of the information. Those factors may include:
                          b. The duration of usage,
                          c. The motivation for use,
                          d. The time lapse since the last use,
                          e. How the drug was obtained,
                          f. How the drug was ingested,
                          g. Why the applicant stopped using the drug, and
                          h. Any other factor the agency head believes is relevant to the Board’s determination."

My source for this info was the May 2004 AZPOST newsletter. So basically, if it was BEFORE 1989, you're off the hook, just tell them about it. If it was DURING 1989, the agency will have to apply for a waiver for you deeming your steroid use "experimental", just like they would if you admitted abusing prescription drugs. From reading the meeting minutes of the last several AZPOST board meetings, the Board is pretty good about granting agency requests for waivers, I guess they figure that if the agency thniks you're good enough to hire and wants a waiver, they know what they're doing. Hope this helps, and good luck.
                          Unfortunately, I am finding out that not every department knows the above.
                          Some consider it an automatic DQ.
                          Some consider it a prescription no matter what.
                          some of the background investigators know what is going on...... unfortunately the people who forward them our paperwork does not always know. Which means our paperwork does not even get to the background investigator.

I have now printed out a copy of the newsletter and will include it with every background I turn in from now on.

Comment

some of the background investigators know what is going on...... unfortunately the people who forward them our paperwork does not always know. Which means our paperwork does not even get to the background investigator.

I have now printed out a copy of the newsletter and will include it with every background I turn in from now on.

Keep in mind Ritchie, that this is only the AZPOST standard. Agencies are free to have higher standards than AZPOST. Also, I'm hearing that steroid usage is kind of a "hop topic" item right now for agencies. An academy classmate of mine was removed from the academy halfway through for past steroid usage. He was honest about it during his background, his agency knew about it and hired him anyway, but AZPOST shot him down. He is eligible to reapply in a few years.

You've got a PM also.
                            1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

Hey Ritchie
                              I have been reading the notes on this topic, and the only thing that i would say Always tell the truth,and stay the course. When they ask you about your pass tell everything in regards to the topic. All of these guy's as well as myself have been asked the same questions. The biggest mistake you can make is not to go after your dream. If being a cop is what you want? THEN GO FOR IT!!!

Wishing you the best in your endevers......

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3330 users online. 222 members and 3108 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X