Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Any input on my chances with a AZ department.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any input on my chances with a AZ department.

I am looking to apply with MCSO, DPS, or Phoenix PD in the next 6 months and was wondering what you guys think my chances are and also any input you could give to help me out in this process. I'll start off with the bad. When I was 17 years old I was charged with a Class I misdemeanor of attempted theft. I was charged as a juvenile, did 10 hours of community service and paid restitution to the victim. Long story short I was driving my car and my friend jumped out and riped some emblems off of a car and they got my license plate number. I took full responsibilty for my actions and paid restitution to the victim and admired to everything. My records have been expunged once I turned 18. Since then I have tried to get my life together to try and pursue a career in law enforcement. I'm 21 years old and graduating in a semester or two from ASU with a 4 year degree in justice studies with a minor in communications. I have completed the Gilbert citizens police academy, doing an internship with the Phoenix PD in the crime analyze lab this summer and next fall, done countless community service activities with the boys and girls club and other organizations. Had steady jobs, all with good references, up until the last year and half because I decided to focus on school. have great credit, and have good references (1 which is a police officer in the valley). I know my juvenile record is a massive set back but i'm just wondering whether it will completely stop me from getting a job as a police officer. I was thinking of applying sometime in oct/nov when i'm 22, because I’ll be just shy of my degree and will finish it up by the time I go through the 2-3 month hiring process. Any input or officers with suggestions within local departments that could help me out would be greatly appreciated. I'm getting lots of negative support from my family and fiance saying I'll never get hired and it's not for me. (mainly because they want me making more money) but use the excuse of my juvenile record. There is nothing more that I want in my life then this and I just want to be sure that there is a chance. Sorry for such a long post.
    Last edited by Integraautox; 05-03-2007, 04:40 AM. Reason: typo

Based on what you have posted here, not knowing about AZ, I don't see where you'd have an issue.

There has been some time between your juvenile arrest and now, also, your job history, references, and education may speak for themselves in regards to your steady character. The fact that you are disclosing an arrest from an expunged record speaks to integrity as well. All this in response to what you've disclosed.

If you really want this, then stop worrying about your family. Once they see how dedicated you are to this, they quite possibly will stop the nagging and start supporting your dream.
    Last edited by 2Lucky; 05-03-2007, 07:28 AM. Reason: typo

Comment

I say give it a shot, but don't be surprised if you get turned down the first few times. I'm in a similar situation, with some "juvenile indescretion" on my record. I've been trying on and off for about 5 years now, and am currently in the final stages of the hiring process for a city PD. Don't give up, whatever you do. Your juvy record doesn't completely disqualify you, but many agencies may want more time to have passed before they hire you, especially considering it was a crime of dishonesty (theft). Good luck bro.
      1*

Ten dash eight!

Comment

If that one issue is all there is I would be more concerned with your age than your past. I would go ahead and apply and see what happens.

Comment

I would not worry too much about the juvenile offense. Keep in mind it has not been very ling since it happened and expect questions like "Are you still friends with your accomplice?". If it is an issue then a few years 2-3 would most likely overcoime it. A good college background will help because it shows self discipline. Be aware that the BI will talk to your family and if they get a sense that you won't get support from your family it may look bad. You will need the help and support of your family in order to be successful in this career. If you are already having problems with your fiance, then what happens when the pressure really begins?

Give it some thought and good luck...go for DPS!
          Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

Thanks for the comments guys. I don't hang out with any one I went to highschool with and after that event which was in my junior year of high school. I stopped talking to that group of friends right after it happened and made new friends. As far as the support thing goes I'm sure that once they see me start applying and getting serious about it they'll accept it. I was also thinking about self sponsering myself through GLEA out at glendale community college to get AZPOST certified. Do you think this will help my chances or would it be a waste of time and money? When I start applying it will be about 6 years since the time my juvenille record occured. I just hope it all works out. Also is it worth trying to become a reserve officer with Phoenix PD or another agency or is that the same process as becoming a full time officer? I'm just trying to think of ways to show maturity and how much I want this.

Comment

I have a ride along with the Gilbert Police Department at 6pm. I'm really excited and counting down the minutes until I get to make the drive over there in rush hour. I completed their Citizens Academy and after talking to several officers there I think Gilbert is one of my top choices if I can get on with them in the future. Everyone is really friendly at there department and they have an almost brand station. I know it's harder to get on with a smaller department but I think I will apply with them first and see how it goes especially since I have a few contact within the department now.

Comment

Originally posted by Integraautox View Post
                mainly because they want me making more money.
                Hey.. Are you and I related? Or have our families been talking to each other?

Anyway mine was negative at first. But now that they know I want nothing else and there is NOTHING they can do..... they are supportive now. And if they are not supportive, at least they keep their mouths shut because I have not heard a thing.

Wifey has been suportive from the start.
                Mother has been too.
                So has cousin who wants to be one too. He gave up med school so he can chase the dream of becoming a cop.

Comment

What are the chances of a person going to AZ for the testing and everything and pass and be put into an Academy ? I would hate to make the trip 2000 miles, pass the tests and the exams and not get a spot......What department is the most likely to not waste an out of state apps time and money?.....I just want to make sure I apply at the right department so I wouldnt be going down there for nothing. I wish I could apply at more than just one department, but not enough time or money haha....the reason I ask in this way is because them are the kinds of departments I have come across here at home.......(get your hopes up ....blow some smoke up your a** and nothing comes out of it)

Thank you for the help!

Comment

Originally posted by WesternBound28 View Post
                    What department is the most likely to not waste an out of state apps time and money?
                    To be honest, it's up to you and not the department. I think if your honest, upfront and don't have a shady past then you will be fine. Every department in the country wants qualified people, so it's really up to you. If you come out and lie or try to hide something they will see right through it.

I know the hiring process is long and tedious, I'm 3/4 of the way through myself and can't wait until it's over. Every department spend tons of $$$ on unqualified people just to weed them out. So if you decide to make the trip, make it worth your time and lay your cards on the table, you will thank yourself for it. Good Luck and never give up if it's your passion.

Comment

Originally posted by WesternBound28 View Post
                      What are the chances of a person going to AZ for the testing and everything and pass and be put into an Academy ?

Thank you for the help!
                      Fordman is right. It is basically up to the applicant. A lot, if not all, of the agencies here do have a process for speeding up the testing of out of state applicants.

Just don't look to getting into the academy within a couple of weeks.

Originally posted by FordMan View Post
                      I'm 3/4 of the way through myself and can't wait until it's over.
                      Well I hope it is with one of the valley agencies and not out of state. No I don't want you to stay so you can be miserable. I just meant it is obviously hard to find good qualified people. Hate to lose the good guys to another state.

Comment

Well I hope it is with one of the valley agencies and not out of state. No I don't want you to stay so you can be miserable. I just meant it is obviously hard to find good qualified people. Hate to lose the good guys to another state.
                        Although I do appreciate the kind words we are not staying in AZ. The process is much easier and faster here but I really don't like living here. I hope the LE things works out but if not, I have the engineering degree to fall back on, we'll have to wait and see.

Thanks again and good luck to you.

Comment

Integraautox, just a few quick notes. It appears that you have gone to great lengths to rectify your situation, which will only shine a positive light on you. Everyone makes mistakes, especially in their youth. Utilize your contacts that you have made in law enforcement, i.e. citizens police academy and otherwise. Don't focus on the past or let your significant others bring you down. I went through the same thing and looking back to what I listened to is quite humbling.

One important thing to keep in mind. In the process, the psych evaluator is most likely going to ask if your wife and family are on board with you being in law enforcement. Be ready to justify your needs/wants over their's. In closing, you are young, so set yourself up for success early. I can guarantee that life will not look the same when you are thirty. Keep doing what you are doing and don't look back, but most of all just be patient.

Comment

In AZ you are not required to be perfect...it helps, but is not required. In AZ you ARE required to honest in your paperwork and on your interviews. THat being said, be honest and you should have no problems...good luck
                            You cant arrest me...I know my Commandments!!

Comment

thanks for all the positive comments! I can't wait to start testing and hopefully get hired on with a department in the Phoenix area. I did my ride along with Gilbert last night and it was awesome. Started at 5:30 and ended at 2ish. We responded to a theft call, assisted a k-9 officer search a car and arresst the driver for a warrant and suspended license, went to a missing person juvenille call that ended up taking a little over and hour b/c the mom knew where the kid was so we went to the place and got him. After a search request by his mother we found marijuana and a pipe on him (he's only 13) so we arrested him and took him in. After that we pulled over a few speeders but let them go with warnings after searching their cars. (the officer I was riding with loves looking for drugs and was good at it) then we got to respond code 3 to a pedestrian that was hit by a car. We were the first people on scene and had to help the victim until the firetruck and ambulance arrived. Then we responded to a few other assistant calls. At the end of the shift we sat looking for cars to pull over with possible drugs in them and the 5th car that passes us we pull over for not having a license plate light. Well endeds up the driver has an ounce of weed on him, a pipe, and a bong. The passenger also had a felony warrant for his arrest. I have to say after doing this ride along I have never wanted to be a police officer more in my life. It was a lot of fun and truely exciting. I can't wait to start the process once I get my degree. Sorry for such a long post.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3300 users online. 142 members and 3158 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X