Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Phoenix PT?

Hey Everyone.

I live in Michigan, but plan to make the trip to AZ in Sep for my first set of tests. My brother who also lives in Michigan and works as a Corrections officer plans to make the trip to AZ for a change of pace and to make the move to the road. We were power lifters who, but now we are trainning to become runner. We were wondering what a normal day of PT is like at the Phoenix Academy. And are the standards to pass the Academy the same as they are to get in? The Academy I was going to attend here in Michigan (West Shore Community College) their longest run they do all year is one mile..and at the end of their two year program you are MCOLES certified and also have your AS Degree.? Thanks for all the info

gotta do a mile and a half in 12.45 just to get past the phx pt test if your a guy.

the academy runs about 3-5 miles 2 or 3 times a week on avg. somtimes more sometimes less. 8-9 mile final run at end of academy.

academy has loosend its stance on kicking people who dont keep up but it seems to be a sgt to sgt basis on how tough they are about it.

Comment

Over, you had an 8 - 9 mile final run? Damn, we had a 13 mile final run.
      "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

whats the point of a run like that?

Comment

Well all I can do is give it my all.

But at the end of a run like that..... everyone will swear I was crawling..... I on the other hand would think that I was running.

LOL.... i hope they have the EMTs close behind.

Comment

Originally posted by Mystikal View Post
            whats the point of a run like that?
            It's not a timed/graded run or anything, it's more like a final team building run up the mountain.
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Westernbound, since I too was making the move from Michigan to Phoenix I had the same questions as you. Keep in mind that ALEA in located at the base of South Mountain and the majority of those 3-5 mile runs are through trails that are on South Mountain. Rarely will you go on a run that is flat trhoughout. Also, if you end up with a Class Sgt. loke I had, if you get dinged during inspection, expect trail runs as punishment. That menans you come in before the academy is set to begin, and you have to run the mountain trail behind the academy. As a bonus, since everything is based on integrity, you have to run with a partner so they can confirm you finished the run, and if no one else was scheduled for punishment, someone has to run with you anyways... which means someone in your class who wasnt in trouble ends up being punished anyways. ....Ahhh the academy, good times all around. My suggestion to you is run on a treadmill at the steepest incline for longer and longer distances in order to build a tolerance.

Comment

Originally posted by AZLawDawg View Post
                It's not a timed/graded run or anything, it's more like a final team building run up the mountain.

HOLY SH*T....13 miles UP THE MOUNTAIN!?!? Dude, tell me there are some sort of 'walking break'....lol

Comment

Running

I split my time between running on a track and South Mtn. I have a friend time me while running on the 1.5 mi track/push/sit ups. Slowly but surely I'm able to do more with the push/sit ups. I devote 3 days a week running at South Mtn 3-4 mi to keep a balance. Just have to avoid those rattlers, seem 4 so far.

Comment

Running will make you better at running. You just need to put the time in, and the results will come. Start with whatever distance/time you can, and keep increasing it.

My class never just hit the trail and ran for 4 miles. There were always a couple of breaks to do push-ups, sit-ups and flutterkicks. The mountain run during the last week was pretty cool. We ran up the switchbacks, and the van was waiting at the top with water. Then the van leapfrogged and met us at the 2/3 point and busted out some krispy kremes

I was just down at ALEA for module, and we did some trail runs during lunch.

Comment

thanks everyone

Thanks everyone for the info. Theres not many Mts here in West Michigan but we don't suffer from a lack of trails to run....I knew I should have it the trails and track more than the weights lol.....If anyone has more info and advice I will be greatly thankful...

Comment

Excellent

Running is good for everything. I've added flutterkicks to my list. Good exercise tip!

Comment

Originally posted by AZLawDawg View Post
                          Over, you had an 8 - 9 mile final run? Damn, we had a 13 mile final run.
                          I can dig out the paper for the exact quote if anyone wants, but when I was out for Tempe, they gave us a paper on "What to expect physically at ALEA". The paper outlines it briefly, and then at the bottom it says something along the lines of "all recruits must complete a 13 mile run at the end of the academy. The pace of this run is to be kept at 9minutes/mile for the entirety"

It doesn't actually say 9 minutes/mile, it has a maximium time limit, and if you do the math, it works out to about 9:13/mile

Comment

Nice

Thats wonderful to know......A guy who is 260 lbs running 13 miles....and thats a Must even if you excel in every other aspect of the academy and have college prior to attending?...Come on guys you need to give me better news than what your telling me with the running....

Comment

Originally posted by WesternBound28 View Post
                              Thats wonderful to know......A guy who is 260 lbs running 13 miles....and thats a Must even if you excel in every other aspect of the academy and have college prior to attending?...Come on guys you need to give me better news than what your telling me with the running....
                              You're talkin to a guy who is 180 pounds, and will have a bachelors degree in a month... Takes all sizes and shapes. You'll probably woop my *** in DT, but I'll outrun you in the long runs.

Stop psyching yourself out, just go in with an attitude of "f**k it, I can do this, and if I can't I'm going to drop dead trying".

And start running.

Now.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3394 users online. 218 members and 3176 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X