300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on a GUN ????

I have been trying to get myself in shape to hopefully to test for GLENDALE,PEORIA and PHOENIX later in JUNE or JULY. My question is what would be a GOOD handgun to purchase so I can start shooting and where besides BEN AVERY is there a shooting range? I was looking at the Springfield Armory XD 40. Does anybody think that this gun is a good choice or would there be another gun that I might want before something like this? I have shot a gun only a couple of times with my DAD who has just retired after 33 years with Chicago. Also does anybody have a GOOD GUN shop that they would go to and where I shouldn't go?
    Don't Think About The Pain, But Think ABout The Gain!

Hey Az-Hopeful

Relax man you don't need to go out and purchase a pistol if you have not even tested yet. It is better to go to the Academy without prior firearms experience. But if you really want to start take a pistol/rifle course through NRA or AZ Fish & Wildlife. Chances are the department will issue you a Glock Model chambered for a .40 Smith & Wesson.
    Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

Buckeye http://www.orgsites.com/az/buckeye-hills/

scottsdale http://www.scottsdalegunclub.com/

shooter's world / AZTAC = Indianschool west of I-17
      http://www.azshootersworld.com/
      3828 N 28th Ave
      Phoenix AZ 85017
      602-728-0900
      They have some of the best prices in firearms.

here is a link to a whole bunch of shooting ranges.
      52 of them http://gunwebsites.com/Shooting_Areas.php

Last edited by Ritchie; 04-24-2007, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Bro I agree with the Tribesman, RELAX

Dont worry about shooting. You will pick up bad habits if you start shooting yourself. Let the academy train you.

Work on your running and test with an agency. All the agencies you mentioned will give you a glock most likely in either a 9mm, 40S&W, or 45.

Comment

I will agree with the others about relaxing but...

If you are going to purchase one anyways, I would suggest Lone Wolf Guns for the firearm and it would depend on where you live for the range. If you are in the east valley there is Rio Salado. West and north have Ben Averey and central has the one at south mountain (next to ALEA).

Comment

Since most of the departments are issuing Glock handguns that would probably be the best way to go. They are good guns and relatively cheap.

Comment

I think I will either go take some firearm lessons from somewhere or just hold off on the purchase of a handgun. I appreciate all the input and NEVER really thought about picking up any BAD habitits with shooting a GUN. I live off the 101 and 67th Ave if anybody knows where there might be a place to go that offers lessons on how to shot and take care of a GUN and whatever else maybe invovled? Also another question that I have is that do patrolman/woman like or dislike when they have ride a longs? I was going to try an take a ride a long with Peoria in the next couple of weeks and I know that PHOENIX doesn't offer the program unless you are in the process of being hired, and I don't know if GLENDALE even has it. I have been on a couple of ride a longs with my brother back in IL. and really enjoyed it, I enjoyed it so much that this is why at the age of 38 I have decided to change my career path. I just hope that I'm not to old and that I will get on a GOOD force somewhere out here.
              Don't Think About The Pain, But Think ABout The Gain!

Comment

here is an idea.

Wait to see who hires you.

Then whatever they issue... buy a smaller version same caliber, for back up.

but that is just me.

Comment

What does DPS issue their Officers?

Comment

they issue SIG.

I checked out the prices..... yikes.

wish they issued glocks. they are cheaper AND My finger is the safety.

When a firearm has a safety, I always find myself trying to fire with the safety on. In other words I ALWAYS forget to turn the safety off. Just imagine if someone opens up on me and I lose the few extra seconds trying to fire with safety on.

the only firearms with safeties in my home are the shotguns and the wifes Ruger P95. The rest are glocks and revolvers.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchie View Post
                      they issue SIG.

I checked out the prices..... yikes.

wish they issued glocks. they are cheaper AND My finger is the safety.

When a firearm has a safety, I always find myself trying to fire with the safety on. In other words I ALWAYS forget to turn the safety off. Just imagine if someone opens up on me and I lose the few extra seconds trying to fire with safety on.

the only firearms with safeties in my home are the shotguns and the wifes Ruger P95. The rest are glocks and revolvers.
                      Sigs dont have safties.
                      sigpic

Comment

that is good to know.... thanks

Comment

Originally posted by a320az View Post
                          Sigs dont have safties.

My Sig Sauer makes me want to touch myself in the privacy of my own home, but that's just me.

Glock doesn't have safety either iirc.

Comment

Originally posted by MesaHopeful View Post
                            My Sig Sauer makes me want to touch myself in the privacy of my own home, but that's just me.

Glock doesn't have safety either iirc.
                            I need to rephrase that. Sigs dont have "external" safties. And yes, neither do Glocks.
                            sigpic

Comment

Ritchie, there may be hope for you yet AZ-Hopeful, like most on here, I would hold off on that gun purchase until a dept. brings you on and issues you their weapon. The weapon you are issued is the one you will take to the academy and you will become intimate with it, but not the way Mesa-hopeful is...funny though

The bad habits comment is very real unless you are trained by a professional, because there is so much to learn from a form, function, and tactical standpoint. Keep in mind also that anything you carry as a off duty firearm or back up, you will have to qualify with, so you must be comfortable with it. As Ritchie states, it would be of a smaller caliber also for concealment purposes. Believe me, once you get on at a department there will be all kinds of gunbuffs to get advice from on what models are best. Personally, Glock .40 is the smoothest I have ever fired. I have shot Colt, Beretta, S&W, H&K, and Sig Sauer's, which all have different feels to them.

Concentrate on your testing and prepare yourself mentally for that. Your weapon of choice will be THE last thing on your mind when you are in the presence of multiple commanding officers in the oral boards. Keep a good attitude and use this forum to help, but don't let that replace going out there and making good quality contacts. Take it one step at a time and use that wisdom you have acquired over the last 38yrs,because that will benefit you immensely....Good Luck!!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2688 users online. 139 members and 2549 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X