300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZ DPS Questions

I live in the state of Washington and my wife is from Arizona. I have always wanted to be part of a state organization and was wondering how you all like working for AZ DPS?

Are the Sgt, Lt's, and Captains always on your rear or do they let you use your discretion?

Do you have your own state academy? or do you go to the same academy as county and city?

How long is the academy?

Do you like the pay?

Is their good hunting in Arizona ? (I have to ask! It's a big help in deciding!)

I read on another post that you basically get to pick where you would like to start out (If there is an opening in that area) whats a good area to live if you like the mountains, trees, water, and good hiking?

Last (for this post,, I may have more annoying questions) I saw that you have an aviation department, is it only helicopter or are there fixed wings?

thanks guys!!!

i am not an officer yet so i cant tell you about that part. But the Academy is with other county and city. Its called ALEA. I believe the lenght is 19 weeks. I am from Colorado and know what you mean. Flagstaff is a good place to look at. It has mountain ranges and is beautiful.
    Thats a start i am sure the other guys will fill you in on everything else.

Comment

Originally posted by kramco
      I am from Colorado and know what you mean.
      I remember someone saying that. can't put a face with it at the moment.

Oh well I will see you on the other side one day.

Comment

Originally posted by Ritchie
        I remember someone saying that. can't put a face with it at the moment.

Oh well I will see you on the other side one day.
        Did we test together for DPS?

Comment

Originally posted by CragCrawler
          I live in the state of Washington and my wife is from Arizona. I have always wanted to be part of a state organization and was wondering how you all like working for AZ DPS?

Are the Sgt, Lt's, and Captains always on your rear or do they let you use your discretion?

Do you have your own state academy? or do you go to the same academy as county and city?

How long is the academy?

Do you like the pay?

Is their good hunting in Arizona ? (I have to ask! It's a big help in deciding!)

I read on another post that you basically get to pick where you would like to start out (If there is an opening in that area) whats a good area to live if you like the mountains, trees, water, and good hiking?

Last (for this post,, I may have more annoying questions) I saw that you have an aviation department, is it only helicopter or are there fixed wings?

thanks guys!!!
          I don't work for DPS but I know quite a few people that do including command staff.

It will depend on who your Sgt. is really, some let you be proactive and others not so much.

DPS sends their recruits to ALEA (Az Law Enforcement Academy), you can google them for more information including an online video.

Academy is basically 18 weeks, could be 19 if you are there during the holidays.

The pay for DPS is average for the area but I hear they are getting a raise in the next year or so to keep pace with others getting one now and in the near future.

Hunting is pretty good here if you can get drawn for it. Elk and deer for the most part, you can hunt mountain lions, black bear and others.

If you want the mountains, I would say Flagstaff would be the place *if you can get it*. I don't know if it is still as hard as it used to be to get assigned there and the cost of living is a bit higher than most of the state.

DPS has both fixed wing and helicopters.

Comment

Hey Crawler,

I know a DPS Officer from the Washington State Police that jusrt went through DPS Advanced Basic. If you are already certified and have been a LEO for a while then you may be able to lateral from out of state without going through ALEA. I am a ALEA recruit right now but I met several out of state laterals in the last AB intake. Call Human Resources....
            Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

thanks tribesman and to all who posted.

Unfortunately I am not sworn into law enforcement yet. I have volunteered with a department for the past two years to get some experience.

Does anyone know if the DPS is accredited by the CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies)? Doesn't really matter just curious.

Does the DPS have their own dispatch, or does it work with local dispatch centers?
              Last edited by CragCrawler; 04-20-2007, 07:48 PM. Reason: another question

Comment

[QUOTE=CragCrawler]thanks tribesman and to all who posted.

Unfortunately I am not sworn into law enforcement yet. I have volunteered with a department for the past two years to get some experience.

Does anyone know if the DPS is accredited by the CALEA (Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies)? Doesn't really matter just curious.

Does the DPS have their own dispatch, or does it work with local dispatch centers?[/QUOTE

I don't work state I am municipal but I know that DPS is CALEA certified and they also have their own dispatch.

Comment

Will DPS allow you to pick one of the testing dates they have listed or do they assign you?

I am coming from out of state and would like to plan ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by CragCrawler View Post
                    Will DPS allow you to pick one of the testing dates they have listed or do they assign you?

I am coming from out of state and would like to plan ahead.
                    You should be able to pick. Just call Hr and tell them that you are out of state. I put my app. in January to get in the February test. But since you are out of state you might need more than a month to get out here and everything.
                    Good luck!!!

Comment

Originally posted by kramco View Post
                      i am not an officer yet so i cant tell you about that part. But the Academy is with other county and city. Its called ALEA. I believe the lenght is 19 weeks. I am from Colorado and know what you mean. Flagstaff is a good place to look at. It has mountain ranges and is beautiful.
                      Thats a start i am sure the other guys will fill you in on everything else.
                      ALEA is 18 weeks, 19 if you go over a holiday (I think someone said that already)
                      MCSO Academy is 20 weeks, but you come out with Rifle/Taser training, and training on one of the new breathalizer thingy-ma-bobbers. Alot of the agencies in the valley are buying recruit space at MCSO just so they can get people through the academy in larger numbers.

Comment

hiring process

How long is the hiring process for DPS?

Comment

Crag,

The process length dpends on you mostly. If you come down here and test for the physical and pass you go right to the written test that day. If you pass that, you will be given a choice for QAB review within 24-48 hours because you are out of state. They get priority. So that may only take two or three days. After that you are ranked by three scores...your QAB and written tests are factored along with any veteran's points. After being ranked you will be asked to fill out your background paperwork and return it asap. From then it is the waiting game. Depending on your score and no DQ items on your paperwork you may wait 1-4 months. I waited three months before I was called for the polygraph exam. Then everyhting starts happening really fast. Your background check will depend on the number of jobs/school/age/crimes/traffic/credit issues you have.
                          Well first, life dealt you a bad hand, then you decided to double down.

Comment

Great elk hunting

Crag, the Elk in AZ are huge.Tons of big Bulls if you know where to look. Cows you can find daily. I grew up in a small town called Sedona, AZ. Did quite abit of hunting growing up there. The Elk, Mule Deer, Deer and Turkey are all really good hunting. If you are just a sport hunter there is an endless supply of Javelina and Coyote also, I,m a shoot-it-eat-it hunter so I cant help much with the smaller game animals. Good dove hunting too.

Comment

Originally posted by jetvette1 View Post
                              ...I,m a shoot-it-eat-it hunter so I cant help much with the smaller game animals. Good dove hunting too.
                              I am a shoot-it-eat-it hunter as well. I once went quail hunting with a friend who invited me, and after I shot a bird I walked up to it and said "What am I going to get off that?" I figured I would have to shoot a whole mess of em just to feed my family one meal. That was that for my quail hunting. Thanks for the heads up on the hunting there. I have only been to phoenix and Tuscon AZ so I didn't see much out there. I am so used to the pine tree covered mountains. I hear it is very beautiful up in the flagstaff and sedona area though.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4347 users online. 257 members and 4090 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X