300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona Dps Question ?

Could you tell me if you have desk duty at the stations?. Do you take your arrests back to your station or to the sheriff's to be booked and held?. Do you have an accident recon that assists you with fatal or serious accidents?. Also work shift schedules?. Thanks for your help.

Ok, in order
    1.No desk duty unless you are an administrative Sgt. or above, or are on light duty after being wounded on the job.
    2. We ( in Metro Phx ) usually take arrests to the local S.O. for booking.
    3. While there are accident reconstructionists about, You, as an officer, will take disposition and investigate almost every serious collision and fatal. This will be the case unless criminal charges are going to be filed, if so, VCU ( Vehicular Crimes Unit ) may take over the entire investigation. If you are in a remote area, VCU may not come out at all - leaving the entire criminal investigation in your hands.
    4. Depending on where you work, it will either be 4/10's or 5/8's. Many remote areas have no graveyard shift, just first and second shift with call-outs during the later hours.

Keep in mind, I have only worked in Phoenix Metro, things may vary in the more remote districts.
    "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by AZLawDawg
      Ok, in order
      1.No desk duty unless you are an administrative Sgt. or above, or are on light duty after being wounded on the job.
      2. We ( in Metro Phx ) usually take arrests to the local S.O. for booking.
      3. While there are accident reconstructionists about, You, as an officer, will take disposition and investigate almost every serious collision and fatal. This will be the case unless criminal charges are going to be filed, if so, VCU ( Vehicular Crimes Unit ) may take over the entire investigation. If you are in a remote area, VCU may not come out at all - leaving the entire criminal investigation in your hands.
      4. Depending on where you work, it will either be 4/10's or 5/8's. Many remote areas have no graveyard shift, just first and second shift with call-outs during the later hours.

Keep in mind, I have only worked in Phoenix Metro, things may vary in the more remote districts.

where and why do you work 5/8's? is patrol 4/10's guaranteed?

Comment

phoenix metro is 4/10

lucky for me,I prefer it that way anyway.

Comment

AZLAWDOG
          Right after FTO you are in charge of fatals? Just asking because I know other Highway Patrols you have to have certain after Academy classes to lead invest. on fatals
          Last edited by kramco; 04-18-2007, 04:05 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kramco
            AZLAWDOG
            Right after FTO you are in charge of fatals? Just asking because I know other Highway Patrols you have to have certain after Academy classes to lead invest. on fatals
            Yep, after you finish the academy, you will attend a post academy where there will be training in accident reconstruction and so on. If you encounter a fatal while on FTO, you will most likely take it, with your FTO telling you/showing you everything that you need to do to complete the investigation. If you don't encounter a fatal while on FTO, your FTO will still train you on how to investigate one. I for one, didn't investigate any fatals on FTO - but was trained to do so, so when one finally occurred, I just went to work.
            But to answer your question in short, once off FTO - and a fatal occurs, there's a good chance you'll take it. You will have lots of help ( officers at the hospital to do follow-up, next of kin notifications, measurements etc.. ), but you will still be the lead Officer.

Some remote areas do 5/8's, hell, when I first joined my squad, it was a 5/8 squad in Metro - then we switched to 4/10's ( thank God ).
            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

does yuma, tucson or casa grande do 4/10's? they should all be 4/10's!can/will they change them on you?

Comment

Originally posted by phxsundevil19
                does yuma, tucson or casa grande do 4/10's? they should all be 4/10's!can/will they change them on you?
                I don't know about Tucson, but I'll find out about Casa Grand and Yuma for you.

They can change them on you, but that's pretty rare. When ours changed, we had a squad vote beforehand with our Sgt. at the time.

Comment

AZLawDog
                  No desk duty great, no booking prisoners or watching them, even better. Expert help to testify in a criminal prosecution in a fatal accident, priceless!.
                  Thanks for your response, your attitude promotes your organization more than an ad campaign. I was interested in the AZ DPS in the 80's, it's a good rep unit. In a few years I might be trying to get a job with you.

Comment

Our patrol guys dont investigate fatals. We only take 961s and 962s. When it turns 963 our motors come out for it.
                    Last edited by StalkerCop; 04-19-2007, 12:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 459 FIGHT GROUP
                      AZLawDog
                      No desk duty great, no booking prisoners or watching them, even better. Expert help to testify in a criminal prosecution in a fatal accident, priceless!.
                      Thanks for your response, your attitude promotes your organization more than an ad campaign. I was interested in the AZ DPS in the 80's, it's a good rep unit. In a few years I might be trying to get a job with you.
                      Thanks, glad I could help!
                      One thing though, I wasn't clear enough when it came to booking, we take prisoners to the local Sheriffs Office for booking, we do the booking at the MCSO Jail, once that's completed ( usually takes an hour or two depending on how crowded the place is ), then it's back out to patrol - or paperwork.

Comment

Originally posted by 459 FIGHT GROUP
                        AZLawDog
                        Thanks for your response, your attitude promotes your organization more than an ad campaign.
                        Couldn't have said it better.

Wait until you meet more of them. So far they have all been the same.

Comment

same goes for me. Have nothing but good words for all of the DPS employees. Even when i took the poly. the kept me calm and went over everything with me. I come from a family of Colorado State Troopers and its good to see how others compare. I have to say Arizona is a class act.

Comment

Kramco did you test in February?

Comment

Booking and the paperwork I don't mind, it's the watching. "Can I have a cigarette?". "Can I use the phone"?,(for the 6th time). "If I was'nt locked up I'd be fine smoking up a storm, drinking a case of beer with my buddies,but because I'm held the weekend, I'm having chest pains and I just remembered I'm supposed to need open heart surgery, along with that huge brain tumor that I was gonna have looked at". I had to do it for a year in a city jail and at least the were gone the next day to court. I have a great respect for county/state corrections who deal with prisoners for months or years.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4198 users online. 205 members and 3993 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X