Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gun Laws in AZ?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Gun Laws in AZ?

    Does anyone know what the laws are on carying a handgun in your vehicle? for people without CCW's. Can you keep it anywhere as long as its holstered, or does it have to be in plain sight? Also, does it have to be unloaded or not? Thanks.

  • #2
    ARS 13-3102 Misconduct Involving Weapons

    Here's the whole statute.

    The short version is that it needs to be in a holster but can be carried in the glove box, map pocket, storage compartment or trunk and you are okay. I'm not sure how to read it on whether or not you can have it concealed on your person in the car.
    1*

    Ten dash eight!

    Comment


    • #3
      If you dont have a CCW you can not conceal it on your person. It must be at least partially visibal while on your person so it can be identified as a firearm.

      Comment


      • #4
        http://www.azdps.gov/ccw/news/newlaw.asp

        Comment


        • #5
          The jist of the law when it comes to being in a vehicle is this (as explained by state and county prosecutors I have dealt with)....

          If it is in a designed carrying case (can be a holster) then it can be just about anywhere in the vehicle including under the front seat. There was an agency in the valley that used to arrest people for having it under the front seat but those continued to get tossed out. The key is that the party has to make two overt movements in order to retrieve the weapon. So the case/holster is one and then bending over to get it from under the seat, opening the center console or opening the glove box would be another overt movement.

          Anyone with other information in your area or experience please help me out.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by AzDogs
            The jist of the law when it comes to being in a vehicle is this (as explained by state and county prosecutors I have dealt with)....

            If it is in a designed carrying case (can be a holster) then it can be just about anywhere in the vehicle including under the front seat. There was an agency in the valley that used to arrest people for having it under the front seat but those continued to get tossed out. The key is that the party has to make two overt movements in order to retrieve the weapon. So the case/holster is one and then bending over to get it from under the seat, opening the center console or opening the glove box would be another overt movement.

            Anyone with other information in your area or experience please help me out.
            I am still a rookie but in my experiences and from law classes this is how it is understood in my area. So AzDogs is correct if it takes two overt acts to draw use then it can be just about anywhere including those side pockets on the door inside your car.

            Comment


            • #7
              Its as easy as this: Have it in a holster or other weapon case while in a vehicle.

              Comment


              • #8
                Interesting....I'd imagine the question of, "Do you have any weapons on your person or in the vehicle?" is standard in just about any traffic stop in states where you can CCW?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by TOPPED_OUT
                  Interesting....I'd imagine the question of, "Do you have any weapons on your person or in the vehicle?" is standard in just about any traffic stop in states where you can CCW?
                  I only ask about weapons if something appears out of the ordinary to me.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AzDogs
                    I only ask about weapons if something appears out of the ordinary to me.
                    Well if you ever stop me, you will have a license and a ccw permit ready for inspection. its automatic, for your safety and especially mine.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      wow, thanks guys. Thats pretty much everything I needed to know. Ive been carrying mine in the center console, always holstered of course. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt doing anything illegal. Those of you who carry, do you carry cocked and locked or do you leave it unchambered?

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        I no longer carry cocked and locked. Because I no longer have my kimber 1911.

                        I definately do not carry the 9mm ruger. I leave that at home for the wife.

                        I do however carry one of my glocks. Usually the 19, but sometimes I carry the 26 and rarely the 17. I do carry it on my person. And I do have a round in the chamber. I do not know if I can officially call that condition one or two. but i is ready.

                        I am weird. I feel naked without a watch on, without a seatbelt on when I am in the car, and definately without my firearm on my person

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by caluba
                          wow, thanks guys. Thats pretty much everything I needed to know. Ive been carrying mine in the center console, always holstered of course. I just wanted to make sure I wasnt doing anything illegal. Those of you who carry, do you carry cocked and locked or do you leave it unchambered?

                          Always cocked and locked.

                          Comment

                          MR300x250 Tablet

                          Collapse

                          What's Going On

                          Collapse

                          There are currently 3011 users online. 154 members and 2857 guests.

                          Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                          Welcome Ad

                          Collapse
                          Working...
                          X