300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MCSO pre-academy

Just got my job offer from MCSO for Detention officer. My question is, what should i expect from the pre-academy. Thanks

You'll be assigned to one of the county jails where you'll sit in either a housing unit tower or security control, opening doors all day. Absolutely no inmate contact. Pretty boring, but it gives you a good heads up on how things actually run in the facilities, compared to how they say they run in the academy. It also gives you a good idea of what kind of officer you do and don't want to be. It's good stuff, just observe what's going on around you.

Comment

Do you know what the academy is like? Is it anything like the Police Academy at ALEA?

Comment

The detention academy is EASY. And as far as it being like ALEA or the MCSO Deputy Academy, they are not even comparable. The hardest part about the detention academy was standing still while you got pepper sprayed. It is a GREAT place to start though. I used detention as a stepping stone, and regret nothing. Plus, starting pay is like $17.20 now I think? When I started as a DO, I was making $14.99, then when I left the county as a Deputy Sheriff I was still only making $19.19 an hour. Like I said, the county is a good place to start out though.
        "In GOD we trust... All others are run through NCIC."

Comment

Thanks Sheriff0880. I am not going to be with MCSO though. I am with Scottsdale PD but will attend the MCSO Academy. Is there alot of PT in the DO Academy, and what is the average day in the academy like? Thanks for your reply.

Comment

i didn't know Scottsdale send their recruits to MCSO

Comment

Yeah, they send their new DO's their and some of their Police Officers too.

Comment

I believe all of Scottsdale and Tempe's DO's come through MCSO. Does anyone know if Mesa still runs their own academy?

Comment

I was told MSCO will open all available vacancies to any valley agency if MCSO cannot fill the class on their own. I beleive the MSCO academy is only Monday - Thursday too. Just some FYI....

Comment

Both MCSO Detention and Deputy Academies are 4 day weeks, 6am-4pm, but our DO classes are almost entirely county, with an occasional outside agency. The Deputy academy seems to be almost split between MCSO and other agencies.

Comment

ALEA has certain spots reserved for certain agencies. If they do not get filled, other city agencies are on the waiting list and put through. Scottsdale and tempe (as well as other city agencies) will send their recruits to any academy, as long as there is a vacancy or on the waiting list.

Mesa does have their own academy, but other agencies will also put their recruits through them as well. All academies have the same objective: To AZ POST certify recruits. We all take the same exams.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3830 users online. 228 members and 3602 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X