300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice for written test?

So I just took the written test for Police Recruit here in Gilbert AZ. It was a lot harder than I expected, and I failed it. I failed the mutliple choice video scenario part. I am not too discouraged though, I just realize I need to take this more seroiusly. Does anyone have any advice for retaking the test? I need help understanding the way Police Officers handle situations. Any help will be much appreciated. Thanks.

Caluba, I am not a Police Officer, but I’m also testing for different agencies in the valley. I have found helpful that go to the library and ask where the test prep books are. They will have several books that have scenarios, what the different assignments that Police Officer’s have, and so on…The test doesn’t expect you to know department policies and procedures; they want to know if you can make a decision and make the right decisions. Also talk with a recruiter and request to go on a ride a long, the officers will be glad to answer any questions that you will have. It also helps to under stand what types to things they do and how they do them in a given situation. The bottom line, it took me a couple tests to pass one, but just keep trying. DON’T GIVE UP..

Comment

i read your post in the other section. but yes get some books and study... the written tests i've taken were mostly reading comprehension, spelling, grammar, etc... and maybe an essay...

ive never done a video scenario... but i'm assuming you don't need any LE experience for it... maybe you could explain what kind of scenarios you had? most is common sense, officer and public safety, etc... i've had many different scenario questions in many interview boards that i've taken.

Comment

thanks guys, I never thought of going to the library. Im going to schedule a ride-a-long here soon also. thanks for the advice.

Comment

The thing about the Gilbert video portion of the test is that you should answer the questions the way you think is the right way to respond, not what you have seen on TV or in movies.

There's a lot of psychology that goes into the video test. If you truly felt that you had the right answers, then you unfortunately are not what Gilbert is looking for.

Comment

Originally posted by G-UnitAZ
            The thing about the Gilbert video portion of the test is that you should answer the questions the way you think is the right way to respond, not what you have seen on TV or in movies.

There's a lot of psychology that goes into the video test. If you truly felt that you had the right answers, then you unfortunately are not what Gilbert is looking for.
            I couldn't agree more. The video scenerios are set up to gauge whether or not you fit the profile of the kind of officer the town is looking for. Definitely go on a ride along, do as much research as you can on the position. Just like any other job, if you really want it, do your research and know the position as best as you can. Good luck.

Comment

Read as many test prep books as you can get your hands on, then re-think the video portion of the test. I bet your answers will improve. Personally, I'm not a fan of video testing first time applicants, there are just too many things that need to be taught before you throw someone into a "shoot, no shoot" situation.
              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

the thing that realy tripped me up during the test was that it seemed like there could have been two right answers for about 90% of the questions. I kept putting the answer I though was right but then kept second guessing myself. Is it possible that i was putting too much though into the questions? Looking back now I realize that I answered some of the questions based on how I thought PO's are supposed to handle certain situations. Thats probably where I went wrong.
                Last edited by caluba; 04-06-2007, 03:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by caluba
                  the thing that realy tripped me up during the test was that it seemed like there could have been two right answers for about 90% of the questions. I kept putting the answer I though was right but then kept second guessing myself. Is it possible that i was putting too much though into the questions? Looking back now I realize that I answered some of the questions based on how I thought PO's are supposed to handle certain situations. Thats probably where I went wrong.
                  That's most likely what went wrong. They're not really shoot or don't shoot scenarios, it's more of moral and personality issues. I can't tell you how to answer, so the best advice I can give is to answer what you think the right thing to do is.

I agree about the test prep books, that really gave me insight as to what to look for.

Good luck to you, let us know how it works out.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4680 users online. 255 members and 4425 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on Yesterday.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X