300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice on ALEA

Just curious if anyone can offer some advice on attending ALEA. I was recently hired on with Gilbert PD and will be attending ALEA in April. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.

I have some advice for you. Don't write cops.

Comment

Originally posted by blustar
      what does that mean?

Do not write to cops?
      Do not write the word cops?

Comment

I think he means don't write a ticket to any off-duty cop you happen to stop. I'm not sure what it has to do with ALEA.
        "Bones heal. Chicks dig scars. And the United States of America has the best doctor-to-daredevil ratio in the world!" -- Captain Lance Murdoch, The Simpsons

Comment

ALEA has been accused of having a mentality that you should write other officers tickets for any infraction including speeding.

For some advice, get into shape now, including being able to run 4+ miles and all the other PT stuff. Other than that, just try to stay under the radar and not stick out too much.

Comment

I started ALEA this last Monday(class 425). I guess you are class 426.

Sorry, I don't have any helpful advice that I can give you since I'm a newbie myself. Good luck in the academy!
            Last edited by geek4life; 03-13-2007, 09:12 PM.

Comment

I believe what he is saying, is that Gilbert PD is getting a reputation for not knowing what "Professional Courtesy" is... I have heard several stories about Gilbert officers pulling over MARKED UNITS from DPS and MCSO and trying to give them citations for speeding and such...

But, these are simply rumors... I don’t know about the rest of you, but I would NEVER write another police officer, state trooper, or sheriff’s deputy a citation for any civil title 28 violation... My .02 cents.
              "In GOD we trust... All others are run through NCIC."

Comment

LOL.......
                okay I feel dumb.

Oh no 4+ miles? I hope that is not everyday. I am not complaining.... it is just, that will break down a body rather than build it up. IMO

2x a week with a mile or two in between plus some sprints plus some weights and other aerobics would be an all around good work out.

running 4 miles everyday because some olympic runner says "it will be good for you" is not the way to go. Wait a second. I feel like I have discussed this elsewhere. or at least read about it. Hang on. I am having Deja Vu

I do not know about anyone else's world.
                But in my world.... if a bad guy wants to run 4+ miles to get away... go for it. He earned his freedom............. for now.

Comment

You definitely need to be able to run long distance. The hiring standards for all the valley agencies are just the MINIMUM needed to graduate. ALEA expects you to be in shape when you get there. They are not looking for people to use it as a tool to get into shape. I was in class 365, so things have probably changed since, but at graduation they reveal the amount of miles you ran over the course of the academy. I'm sure someone will correct me, but i remember it being some ungodly number, like roughly around 200 miles we ran total. If you are struggling to meet the minimums for the 1.5 mile times... then you are gonna be that guy. The guy that holds up the class and has everyone in front leaning rest waiting for you to finish the runs with the RTO runnung behind you and in your ear about how out of shape you are. Your class will love you.

Comment

sheriff0880 nailed it.
                    And ritchie, it has nothing to do with olympic runners or anything else. the reality is you will run 4 miles 3 or 4 x week.

Comment

Originally posted by Sundevil4life
                      Just curious if anyone can offer some advice on attending ALEA. I was recently hired on with Gilbert PD and will be attending ALEA in April. Any words of wisdom would be greatly appreciated. Thanks a ton.
                      I will hopefully be right behind you for the may class. I just recently recived a COE from Tempe police dep. I am curious too, what ALEA is like. I was injured in a State Police academy, where we ran A LOT. I am assuming it will be structured the same way, only it is 2 months shorter and not a sleepover academy..so I guess no more "fire drills" at 2AM. LOL

Best of Luck to you sundevil...by the way I am looking to buy a home in Gilbert, my wife's sister lives there and loves it.

Comment

the reality is you will run 4 miles 3 or 4 x week.
                        good to know. I guess it does not really matter wether we run or not. I gotta remember that the important thing is to first get the offer to work. Then do, what I gotta do, to pass.

Do they split it up in ability groups? or does everyone run as a class?

Comment

My first week in academy i'm getting about 3-5 hours of sleep each day.

'zzzz

Comment

what are the hours in ALEA?

Comment

Thanks everyone for your words of advice. Thankfully I have been an avid runner now for about 5 years now, so I'm pretty close to a regimen of running 5 miles 5 days a week. Does anyone know what can be expected in the classroom? Thanks for all the warm wishes. Needless to say I'm pretty excited.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4803 users online. 261 members and 4542 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X