300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I am at my "crossroads"

All right.... well, I just finished up my POST courses in Alexandria,MN and now I am looking for my job. The Minnesota job market is absolutely saturated with qualified people looking for a job. The POST board website has about 15 jobs on it. I just took my POST test with about 300 people there. so needless to say that they have enough people up there. I have been looking at the Arizona area for a long time and it is time to take it very seriously. I would like to hear from people with experiences and opinions about what they like and what they don't. Please don't list "heat", because I know that it sucks balls during the summer. I can put up with that. I am looking for pro's and con's of the Phoenix area, Flagstaff area and Tucson area. I really would appreciatte it. thanks people!
    "...and that was the second time I had crabs."
    "Stinks like sex in here."

"crossroads"

Hi! First off let me say I'm a 27yr veteran with Phx. P.D. I was born & raised in NYC and came out here for a job just like you plan to do. Phx is probably the highest paying agency in the state and we do seem to have the most "toys". The aptrol officers are generally young (avg. age 24),college educated and ambitious. They can also lack life experience. The academy is good, FTO program inconsistent, benefits pretty good (shift diff, tuition reimburs., training, etc) can be hard to beat here. If your used to what many call "EAST COAST" law enforcement Az. isn't for you. The Dept. is quick to point out "we're not like those Depts. back East---We're honest!" B.S.! We have the same politics & B.S. that goes on everywhere else. In Phx. you can expect a young FTO, work 2nd shift (for starters) then probably go to 3rd shift after your probation. Our shifts are permanent unless you request a transfer, you'll be in patrol for 3yrs before you're eligible for transfer to a specialty assignment (motors, narcotics,etc). The selection process is tough as I've known officers from other agencies that couldn't pass various phases of the hiring process. Now Tucson or Falstaff P.D. I don't know anything about, really. Both are college towns anf Flagstaff is expensive to live in. All the big cities here roll up the sidewalkst d 10:00 so there really isn't any sort of nightlife here. Most people out here are into outdoor stuff (camping, boating, etc.) . If it were me, I'd look at the smaller agencies around Phx._-the cities are growing quickly which means rapid expansion for the Dept. there which means they'll have to promote quickly. GOOD LUCK

Comment

I'm not a police officer, but I am planning on becoming one as soon as possible. Therefore I can't truly give you any insight on What it is like to be an LEO in Arizona. However, I have gone on several ride alongs...One with DPS (State Patrol), one with Phoenix PD and several with Maricopa County. I absolutely loved every department, and would be honored to work for any of them. The teamwork is incredible, the work fascinating and the people were all professional.

I've lived in Phoenix for approximately 11 years, having moved here from Colorado. The weather is great! Sure, it is hot for a few months and you get used to it. But for the rest of the year, how does 65 degrees sound? Maybe in the 40's on a cold night. There are mountains, camping, hiking/mountain biking, boating, (not quite the fishing you have up North), great food, year round golf, and an excellent job market for Law Enforcement. Check out www.ci.gilbert.az.us. The town of Gilbert is the fastest growing municipality in the US. They have beautiful equipment and facilities, patrol a nice area and they have great opportunities for advancement. Gilbert is a suburb of Phoenix and they hire, and hire, and hire. The desert takes a little time to get used to, but once it gets in your system..... Good luck, and feel free to ask questions. I'll try to answer!

Comment

Originally posted by AZWannabe
        Check out www.ci.gilbert.az.us. The town of Gilbert is the fastest growing municipality in the US. They have beautiful equipment and facilities, patrol a nice area and they have great opportunities for advancement. Gilbert is a suburb of Phoenix and they hire, and hire, and hire.
        Whats the cost of living for Gilbert?

I too am at a point where I am looking to move to another agency. I have been an LEO up here for 5 years and knowing winter is looking makes me cringe.

TGY
        Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious, nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Unfortunately for those who wish to buy a house in Arizona, we are experiencing an "overheated" real estate market. As a result, the housing prices continue to rise at an astonishing rate. Apartments are probably similar to most places in the Midwest. I'm not sure what you would consider high cost of living, as I'm completely unfamiliar with the situation in Alaska. Housing in Gilbert is more expensive than much of the surrounding Phoenix metro area, therefore I recommend looking at Mesa, Chandler, Phoenix, Apache Junction and other surrounding cities. Also, all of these cities are hiring. I want to say the average price of a house in Gilbert is 285,000, but that may have increased.

Comment

thanks for the posts. From what I understand of the Phoenix area, the cost of living is very similar to that of St. Paul,Minnesota. That's my hometown. I know for the first couple of years, i probably wouldn't buy a house, but the average price that was posted is similar to what I would be paying for a decent house up here outside of the "rough" areas. I am going to be down in the second weekend in October, I think it is the 15th or so. So that will be my time for looking around and seenig what i like and what i don't like about the area. obviously I can't like everything, so this will be a good time for me to come down and and really get my own set of pro's and con's. I have looked at some of the other agencies so i guess now it's just a matter of time. My picks would have to be between Phoenix, Glendale, Mesa and Chandler. I appreciate the respones though and I will be seeing some of you when I am down there. have a great day everyone!

Comment

The departments you listed are the largest in the area, and are all good as far as I know. Best of luck to you, and let us know if you get hired!

Comment

AZ Agencies

A few more thoughts on agencies in Arizona. I'll start by saying I've only got about three years with a metro-Phoenix agency (Peoria), but I've been in the Valley since '98. I looked at multiple agencies when I started and I still check city websites to see who's hiring and who's not.

If you talk to folks in the Valley you'll quickly pick-up on a bias either for/against the "East Valley" (Tempe, Mesa, Chandler, Gilbert, Apache Junction) and/or the "West Valley" (Glendale, Peoria, Avondale, Goodyear, Surprise, etc.) And of course Phx goes E to W & N to S. Take a look at both areas, they each have their own pros/cons. I have friends who work in the East Valley and love it. I live & work in the West Valley and love it. Phx has some nice areas in the north and lots of growth in the south, too. And there's always "Snottsdale", but good luck affording anything there. (Though the dept. has lots of $$$.)

Here's my take (if I'm wrong here AZ LEOs feel free to correct me):

The biggest dept in the Valley by far is Phx. Pros: Lots of specialties, lots of action, don't like someone you can move across the city. Good pay plus "Career Enhancement Points" which means education, advanced training = more $$$$. One of few agencies that have this, unlike CA. MN, too? Cons = Big agencies have unique problems, don't always know other officers, technology sometimes slower to be implemented, no AM/FM in cars (probably too busy to notice).

Mid-size agencies: Mesa, Tempe, Chandler (East) Glendale (West) Scottsdale
                Mid-to-small: Gilbert (East) Peoria (West) [almost exact same size]
                Smaller agencies: Surprise, Avondale, Goodyear (West)

Here's what I know about some west valley agencies:

Glendale - a smaller Phx (bad parts & really nice parts), decent pay, lots of recent turmoil (bad detectives), most specialties (including bomb det's)

Peoria - Growing, big bonus ($5K for laterals), new station, black & whites, most specialties, part-time TAC team, great benefits, good pay, very strong union, lots of technology (e-mail me for more off-line conversation if you want it)

Avondale - new chief (from Tempe) & DC (from Peoria), brand new motors unit (BMWs), growing city (60,000+), great pay, hiring laterals, OK benefits

Goodyear - take-home car (only one in Valley other than S.O. I think), good pay, good benefits, good chief, big city area wise (100+ sq miles), big mall in the plans, higher income housing prevalent

Well, hope this helps. I'd offer you a ride along, but I'm in Iraq until late this year. (That's why I have time on my hands to type this novel.) Best wishes & God speed. Semper Fidelis.
                "Freedom isn't purchased with gold, but with iron."

Comment

The "Valley of the Sun" has its own personality. The westside seems to be more"blue collar" and that's not a bad thing. The Eastside seems to cater to white collar types and can be realexpensive to live there. The Valley police agencies all seem to follow a "west coast" attitude about law enforcement so expect alot of PR attitude and less aggressive law enforcement compared to eastcoast police agencies. Transfers to assignments other than Patrol in Phx. is as much "who you know" as "what you know". Don't expect traditional comraderie within in the Dept,Management has a "divide & conquer" attitude towards the rank & file. Despite all that the officers are good and though you'll never get rich, the pay here will ssupport you nicely

Comment

Just knowing how I am, I would have to check out the Wast Valley because I am brought up blue collar. the east sounds like my kind of place. I think I have a little more in common with the blue collar crew because I have had to work for everything I have. My parents, don't get me wrong I love them, they have given me a lot and taught me to work hard so I have brought up with a stronger connection to the blue collar worker. Thanks for the run down though. I have to check the East Valley it sounds like. thanks for everything. The second weekend in October is my time to really make the call. you guys have really made it easier for me. Thanks for that.

Comment

sorry, i'm tired.... in my last post I was confusing East and West Valley. my bad

Comment

I moved out here three years ago and have been on the job going on three years, I did 10 yrs back East before I came out here. Hemicop is right, policing out here is less aggressive then back East. But you deal with a different kind of clientle out here too. It is definetly more traffic enforcment oriented, they love DUIs out here..Its like a fascination or something. Hemicop is also right about politics. but the politics are internal not external, You dont have the Mayor or a City Councilman back dictating stuff to you. I live in the East Valley and love it...There is so much stuff to do here..Downtown Tempe. Snottsdale, Lakes...The West Valley does not offer as much in entertainment yet except for the hockey stadium...Professional Courtsey is terrible here..I never seen cops treat each other any worse before I moved here...Here are some East Valley Agencies..Mesa-decent pay, decent benefits.hard to get promoted unless you are a certain religion....Tempe decent pay, very micromanaged,City Council is mostly Alternative Lifestyle,so you can guess what the PD is going to be like,,,I dont know much about Gilbert, I have talked and dealt with a few guys from there and did not here good things...There Chief is from Mesa so that should tell you something...Apache Junction would be a fun place to work because all of the meth labs out there.....Snottsdale believe or not is a very good agency, good money, good benefits, and good advancement...They also have some not so nice areas if you want to get into police work and they have a great Repeat Offenders Program....

Comment

LOL.... i like that line,"a great repeat offenders program." that gave me a great laugh. I am going to be down there the third weekend in October, so I will have to check that out. thanks for the heads up about the East and West. but, i will see you guys when i get down there.

Ndubs

Comment

I am suprised no one has mentioned all the new communities being built up in between Phoenix and Tucson. SO, DPS, DHS, etc. The possibilities are endless. You would have to check their pay rates, some suck. The heat is the only drawback to working in AZ, make sure you get a vehicle with AC.
                            Don't let what you can't do, stop you from doing what you can.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5024 users online. 273 members and 4751 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X