Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speeding Ticket in Lott Texas

Here it is,

I'm vacationing in Texas and driving on route 77 for the first time while Im trying to look at my google map to make sure I don't miss my turn and don't realize that the speed limit drops abruptly from 70 to 55 mph in LOTT Tx . I look Over to the right and see a white Tahoe hitting the lights on and look at speed limit sign which is behind the patrol unit and see that I'm over and slow down.

I pull over, get approached by the officer and present my driver license and commission card while letting the officer know I got my duty weapon next to me. He looks at the commission card, hands it back and asks for insurance... really???!??! I provide it and he tells me, "let me see what I can do for you to get you back on the road". he then slaps me with a full fine ($299.00) and tells me, in other words to pretty much watch for speed traps up ahead...

In my entire career I've never cited a cop... not to mention a full fine. I've given people breaks, and still do all the time. This left a bitter taste in my mouth but I believe in Karma
    Last edited by daniel78; 07-17-2015, 06:53 PM.

Karma for what? Sounds like he did his job correctly.

Comment

askiles,

I'm not sure if you're an officer but if you are, did you give anyone a break on a traffic violation in your career? If you did, and don't lie, you didn't do your job right sir...

Comment

If you're not an officer then please refrain from giving me your input.

Comment

The few times I've been stopped, I've never told an officer that I was on the job unless I was carrying a gun. (which I don't always do) I stay polite and don't say anything about what I do for a living unless I'm asked. I never expect a break when I do something wrong.
          Last edited by FireCop203; 07-17-2015, 07:18 PM.

Comment

Brother I had to identify myself per policy and due to the fact I had my gun next to me. I did stay polite the entire time... but still. We give people breaks all the time... just sayin
            Last edited by daniel78; 07-17-2015, 07:32 PM.

Comment

I've never written a fellow leo and unless it is serious, I probably won't. I appreciate every break that I've been given over the years and fortunately, I've not gotten stroked. If I am speeding and the stop is righteous, I guess I wouldn't have any right to bitch about it. I have also given numerous breaks to non-law enforcement as well to keep a balance and be fair.

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Originally posted by daniel78 View Post
                Brother I had to identify myself per policy and due to the fact I had my gun next to me. I did stay polite the entire time... but still. We give people breaks all the time... just sayin
                What page is that policy on?

He probably was offended that you slapped him with the id right away as if you expected a break. Or maybe it's in his policy to cite everyone. It may just be the way you wrote it, but it kind of sounds like you were expecting him to just wave.

Before you ask, I've never written a cop.

Comment

Wow! So you are DEMANDING that you be cut slack because you're a cop. Guess what hotshot. EVERYONE gets a ticket at some point. It was just your turn.
                  The badge doesn't automatically give you a pass. Lesson learned.
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

You guys are missing the point and resorting to name calling... hotshot??!?? really dude??!?! Its not about the ticket, I make really good money to pay the fine. I don't care about that. it's the principle dude. I never cited a cop and hope to never have to...
                    On the other hand, I never used my badge to get out of a ticket. Please read the essence of my comment and don't be narrow minded to jump to conclusions...

Comment

You are ****ed off because you got a ticket. You believe that you should be exempt, BECAUSE of the badge. Your personal philosophy isn't shared by, nor required of, others. Quit whining. It's clear by your post that you expect sympathy.

A REAL man would just shut up and take the hit.

Comment

@ CCSD,

Dude you can go on the attack all you want to. You're probably THE GUY who will cite anybody just because u can. U obviously don't use discretion because to u feel you got power to cite and so you shall. If that's what you wanna do as a cop, be my guest.
                        I'm not even gonna bother with you because we differ when it comes to discretion.

Comment

Nope. I don't cite cops OR citizens unless it's egragarious.

YOU came on here to rant about getting a ticket.
                          YOU stated that you expected to get off due to badging him.
                          YOU FAIL to understand that you are JUST AS RESPONSIBLE as anyone else when driving.
                          YOU are an example of the entitlement attitude espoused by you youngster cops who haven't matured yet.

Baby the way, it's YOU, not U. Lazy articulation doesn't make you look any smarter or cooler.
                          Go complain to the COP in Lott. Tell him/her how great you are and how ****ty the department is for allowing their Officers to dare cite a cop.

Here's what probably happened: YOU were speeding, talking on your cell. The Officer pulled you over and you immediately badged him. He was, understandably, unimpressed and dropped the speed down as a courtesy, but did cite you due to your attitude. You probably gave him **** for it, talking about how YOU never cite other cops, blah, blah, blah.
                          Good for him for teaching you that there are ramifications for being a doosh.

Lesson learned. You've been schooled.

Comment

For the record, I will never bless the city of Lott, TX with my presence. If I believed in unicorns or speed traps they would exist wherever traffic enforcement was focused on extracting revenue from drivers instead of improving safety. I don't believe that there are any such things though and here is why.

Here are the most common definitions of -- trap: noun
                            1. A device or enclosure designed to catch and retain animals, typically by allowing entry but not exit or by catching hold of a part of the body.
                            2. A curve in the waste pipe from a bathtub, sink, or toilet that is always full of liquid and prevents gases from coming up the pipe into the building.
                            3. A container or device used to collect a specified thing.

OR (and pay special attention to this definition)
                            trap; verb

1. A situation in which people lie in wait to make a surprise attack.

When there is a speed limit sign posted, how can it come as surprise?
                            What type of bait would one use to catch someone in a speed trap?

As much as I hate to do this, I will now go to Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia for their definition.

Trap or Traps may refer to: A device or tactic intended to catch an intruder, enemy, error, or substance. Is a speeder an intruder, an enemy, an error or a substance?

We take a lot for granted in this job. I'd hate to be stuck in some traffic unit; they are a necessary evil, but I wouldn't want to do that part of the job ever again. If my boss told me that I had to stop investigating crimes and spend my days catching speeders, I would reluctantly do so.

I had this Sad Sack copper from a tiny town in the southernmost part of the state which has a short but profitable stretch of I-57 in it. This clown was bragging about writing 37 cites in a four day week; I couldn't resist and I asked him how, with all of that 'Traffic Nazi' activity, he had any time to actually help anyone in need. This is one of those towns where they will write off-duty officers a ticket because they are all part-time guys and they are told that if it is worth stopping, write it.

If I happen through that area, I will watch my speed and not get a ticket. If I happen to lapse and get nailed, should I be upset with the officer for taking his assignment seriously, or should I take my lumps, get court-supervision, pay my ticket and get past it?

“This life’s hard, but it’s harder if you’re stupid.”

George V. Higgins--The Friends of Eddie Coyle

Comment

Slamdunc,

I respect your mature reply sir. most here so far believe I badged the cop to get out of it... not the case here. I've paid the fine already. point was about use of discretion towards LEO.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6164 users online. 240 members and 5924 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X