Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Michigan LEO with questions on Mesa PD

Greetings from Michigan,
    I have some questions for those who have some time in with Mesa PD. I've been an officer in MI for 4 years and am thinking of getting out of this ice box due to my discontent with old man winter. I lived in Mesa for about 7 years when I was in grade school and enjoyed it there (still have some family there).
    For those who have experience with Mesa PD, is it generally a good agency to work for? Budget? Morale? Support of command, etc? Salary seems pretty solid (not sure about benefits) and it looks like there are a good amount of specialty units, which is very appealing. Their recruiting webpage outlines the 'out of state lateral' process pretty clearly, but do they tend to avoid out of state laterals for any particular reason? It's pretty sweet that they use part of your prior full time experience as credit towards specialty assignments. I'll be visiting Mesa during July and would like to ride for a shift (assuming ride a longs are permissible) to see what it's like.
    Anything else that would be good to know? I'm mostly concerned with hiring onto an agency where you can go out and do good, solid police work. Thanks for any input guys and gals, stay safe out there!
    Last edited by jbone36; 01-25-2015, 11:59 PM.
    I'm your Huckleberry

*Crickets* .... Please, please, not everyone answer all at once!
    I'm your Huckleberry

Comment

I have 3 friends in the Mesa PD, one being a Sgt who has been with Mesa for 14 years now. They all 3 love the force, and say morale is probably the highest there out of any PD in AZ at the very least. I did their testing this last weekend, and you can tell most of the officers are very proud to be working for Mesa. Mesa also has its own academy, which they like to tout as second to none. I am really hoping and pushing for a spot on with Mesa, they seem like an amazing force to work for.

Comment

Originally posted by askiles View Post
        I have 3 friends in the Mesa PD, one being a Sgt who has been with Mesa for 14 years now. They all 3 love the force, and say morale is probably the highest there out of any PD in AZ at the very least. I did their testing this last weekend, and you can tell most of the officers are very proud to be working for Mesa. Mesa also has its own academy, which they like to tout as second to none. I am really hoping and pushing for a spot on with Mesa, they seem like an amazing force to work for.
        askiles, how did you do in the testing this weekend? Did you move on to the Oral Board Interview?

Comment

Indeed. I have it next Tuesday @ 8:00.

Comment

Originally posted by askiles View Post

Thanks for the reply. That's good to hear. Is it pretty competitive or more sought after than other neighboring agencies? Good luck to you, hopefully you get it!
            I'm your Huckleberry

Comment

I would say it has about the same amount of competition for the available positions than any other city in town. Right now, Chandler, Tempe, & Mesa all seem to be looking to fill about 20 spots. Mesa is trying to fill their July academy...which of course is probably not a concern of yours. Just saying though. LOL Thanks by the way!!

Comment

On Saturday at the physical fitness testing they showed everyone a slide on a projector screen of the push-ups/sit-ups/1.5 mile run test averages from the prior academy class that was hired. These are not the exact number but I think the averages were 55 push-ups, 46 sit-ups, and 12:00 1.5 mile run. I believe they were showing these averages to show how competitive the hiring process actually is at Mesa PD. Or they were using the this as a scare tactic to get people into great physical shape before they come and test with them the next time.

They told us that they accepted 600 applications. Only 350 showed up to the PT test and only 150 applicants were there to take the written exam. It seemed like the moral between the Officers and Sergeants at the testings were pretty good and they seemed to all get along well.

Comment

Originally posted by AZHusker View Post
                  On Saturday at the physical fitness testing they showed everyone a slide on a projector screen of the push-ups/sit-ups/1.5 mile run test averages from the prior academy class that was hired. These are not the exact number but I think the averages were 55 push-ups, 46 sit-ups, and 12:00 1.5 mile run. I believe they were showing these averages to show how competitive the hiring process actually is at Mesa PD. Or they were using the this as a scare tactic to get people into great physical shape before they come and test with them the next time.

They told us that they accepted 600 applications. Only 350 showed up to the PT test and only 150 applicants were there to take the written exam. It seemed like the moral between the Officers and Sergeants at the testings were pretty good and they seemed to all get along well.
                  That wasn't a scare tactic, they are tired of losing people who aren't prepared for the physical aspect of the academy. Mesa's academy is very difficult physically so they are probably looking to weed out people who aren't in shape now because you won't have time to get in shape during the academy... You won't make it if you start out with a poor fitness level.

Comment

My friend does the PT at the Mesa academy, and I can tell you he beats you to hell. LOL

Comment

Mesa is one of the top agencies in the state. Chandler pd is another top notch agency in that area...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3004 users online. 140 members and 2864 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X