Academy Advice

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Academy Advice

Headed to the academy in 2 weeks! It has been a really long process--18 months for me. For those who are still applying, don't give up! If you are right for the job it will be worth it in the end. There are some departments starting to hire in small numbers again.

I'm trying to get everything ready now...any advice from those who have gone through ALEA is appreciated. Thanks.

Congrats, where did you get on?

Comment

....Fly Low
      (\__/)
      (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
      (")_(")
      Copy and paste Bunny into your
      signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

bring an extra pair of everything and be in good shape

Comment

As others have said, get yourself squared away (haircut, uni's dry cleaned/pressed, your MV is current in registration/insurance, etc)-we had a guy show up w/an expired reg/no insurance, needless to say his academy days were short lived......very short. Fly under the radar (keep your eyes open and your mouth shut), get in tip-top shape and stay that way, and if you post about your status/updates throughout the academy, make it brief and nondescript. IMO, stay out of the bars and clubs during your academy time. Bars and clubs are an invitation for trouble. As I always told the new recruits headed towards the academy, it's only six months towards a 20-30 year career. If you need a beer or two, stay home and enjoy one there. Good luck and remember what I said above, it's only 6 months towards a 20-30 year career.

Comment

what agency are you going for???

Originally posted by Minnow33 View Post
            Headed to the academy in 2 weeks! It has been a really long process--18 months for me. For those who are still applying, don't give up! If you are right for the job it will be worth it in the end. There are some departments starting to hire in small numbers again.

I'm trying to get everything ready now...any advice from those who have gone through ALEA is appreciated. Thanks.
            Go wildcats!

Comment

Don't question your RTO's, do as your told when your told. If you're asked a question you don't know the answer too then say so. We are trained BS detectors. Give everything you've got and then give some more. And have fun, it's only a short time so enjoy it.

Comment

First, LAY LOW! Don't question the RTO's, pay attention, have your act togehter, do as you're told, Whatever you think you need, bring 2, even 3 of it, dress accordingly until your uniform is issued no jeans, club wear, T-shirts. etc. in other words, DRESS CLOTHES! Imagine day 2 or 3 of boot camp & show up like that & you should get by. Expect plenty of memo writng the first week or two & little sleep the first week.Good Luck!

Comment

So I might actually know someone in your academy class It's the one that starts right after Turkey day, correct?

The best advice I ever got was to take it one day at a time. When you get your schedule, don't flip ahead to OC day or Redman. Just do what you need to do that day, and worry about the next one when you're in it.

Oh yeah...and NEVER GIVE UP. No matter how much it sucks, don't ever quit. There were days in DT I got my *** straight up thrown into a wall (which is what happens when everyone weighs 50+ pounds more than you!), and I felt like ****, but you gotta push through it. You'd be amazed how many people freak out in DT.

PM me if you want....I was just there, so I have good insight

Comment

Since I don't know your background, I'll only say one thing: drive the speed limit.
                    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Can't agree more with laying low. ALWAYS admit to mistakes you make. Integrity is HUGE. Invest in lint rollers. Learn how to shine your boots well. Give it your all, all the time, no matter how you feel. You will be exhausted, beat up, and in over your head at times. Carry on and don't let it get to you. As someone said earlier it is only 6 months of your 20-30 year career. Stay off Facebook or at least lock your account. Don't forget, you are getting paid to workout! Good luck to you!

Comment

Listen to what everyone has said here. Especially when it comes to being prepared. If you need one of anything, have two. Make sure you have an extra pair of black and whites in your locker at all times. Extra white socks, extra black socks, extra dress belt, extra under belt, extra pens, extra name tag, extra t shirts, ORDER AN EXTRA CLASS SHIRT AND LEAVE IT IN YOUR LOCKER, EXTRA EXTRA EXTRA. You cant be over prepared.

And yes be in shape when you get there. But when it comes down to choosing running or studying, make sure you study. You will get kicked out if you fail test. They wont kick you out if you run slow. As long as you meet the minimum on POPAT.

Good luck.

Comment

As my RTO used to say, be a "blade of grass," don't stick out, blend in. Learn to work together, admit your mistakes, take responsibility, maintain a good attitude, stick with it.

Comment

How's it going OP?

Comment

Originally posted by msukittycat View Post
                              So I might actually know someone in your academy class It's the one that starts right after Turkey day, correct?

The best advice I ever got was to take it one day at a time. When you get your schedule, don't flip ahead to OC day or Redman. Just do what you need to do that day, and worry about the next one when you're in it.

Oh yeah...and NEVER GIVE UP. No matter how much it sucks, don't ever quit. There were days in DT I got my *** straight up thrown into a wall (which is what happens when everyone weighs 50+ pounds more than you!), and I felt like ****, but you gotta push through it. You'd be amazed how many people freak out in DT.

PM me if you want....I was just there, so I have good insight
                              You know that's untrue.....everyone in your class was way more then 50 pounds more then you ... with all your gear on and soaking wet you were only 100 pounds LOL

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 9892 users online. 372 members and 9520 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X