AZPOST marijuana use standards

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZPOST marijuana use standards

Just looking for clarification and/or insight. According to the AZ Post website...

...An applicant may not have used drugs other than for experimentation. The rule defines experimentation by stating presumptive levels of use that are experimentation. Any use over those presumptive numbers can only be determined to be experimental by the Board through a petition from the agency asking the Board to look at all the facts and circumstances of use and see whether the use was experimental as opposed to, for example, recreational. The numbers are divided by age and type of drug. Illegal marijuana use is presumed to be experimental if the numbers do not exceed 20 in a lifetime, with no more than five of those uses being at age 21 or older....
    Are those hard and fast numbers for the most part or does the board generally defer to the hiring agency's desires?

I understand that every situation is looked at on its own I'm wondering if there is a general way these kind of things play out? Assuming of course that I was able to find an agency to take the chance to file a petition.
    He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High
    shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty.
    - Psalm 91:1

On Ignore - A few folks.

Generally speaking, those are set in stone. I'd be surprised if any agency, in this day and age, would bother with a petition to waive those numbers. The applicant pool is flush with qualified candidates unlike several years ago.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
      Generally speaking, those are set in stone. I'd be surprised if any agency, in this day and age, would bother with a petition to waive those numbers. The applicant pool is flush with qualified candidates unlike several years ago.

Not sure how many times you've smoked but if its over the limit and u still want to get in the industry, you could try corrections...i know DO's that told there BI 3 times that number and got hired as its not a sworn position.

Comment

Detention Officers aren't POST Officers in AZ. The AAC doesn't even have a mention of "detention" in it. It does however note "Correctional Officer," "Limited Correctional Peace Officer," and "State correctional officer."

For the State correctional officer, the same drug standards apply as a peace officer. For Sheriff's Office DOs/COs, it appears to up to the agency. If all else falls, I'm sure CCA/Geo would take them.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
        (")_(")
        Copy and paste Bunny into your
        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Originally posted by Kennedyford
          Is it not a sworn or under AZPost standards at least for county detention? Thought federal detention would be same legal standards.
          Also Federal agencies are more "understanding" in many cases. I know one person that was hired as a federal LEO who used peyote, in college. All her BI cared about was that she A) Stopped (several years ago, B) Was Honest.

Go Figure
          (\__/)
          (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by CACBAND View Post
            Also Federal agencies are more "understanding" in many cases. I know one person that was hired as a federal LEO who used peyote, in college. All her BI cared about was that she A) Stopped (several years ago, B) Was Honest.

Go Figure
            Very true. That's what I've been encouraged to do, try to get on with the feds because they are more likely to forgive past transgressions than state or local agencies. Which is how it should be in my opinion. Of course if my past was spotless I might not have the same opinion.

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. That's kind of the impression I had from most folks I spoke with in person but a couple of local town deputy marshals thought otherwise based on their own experiences 5 to 8 years ago

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Don't lie about past marijuana use during your polygraph exam . . .

A former co-worker went through a hiring process for an agency in Arizona, got part way through the process and flamed out on the polygraph for that reason, and is barred from ever applying again.

It's sometimes too bad that errors made at age 21 can still haunt you years later, but that's the way it is . . .

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff22 View Post
                  Don't lie about past marijuana use during your polygraph exam . . .

A former co-worker went through a hiring process for an agency in Arizona, got part way through the process and flamed out on the polygraph for that reason, and is barred from ever applying again.

It's sometimes too bad that errors made at age 21 can still haunt you years later, but that's the way it is . . .
                  Yeah, when I put in applications I always over estimate how much I used. I suppose it's shooting myself in the foot but I'd rather someone say I'm not qualified due to me saying I used it too much than to have it blow up in my face because they figure out I lied about it, or something else.

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

If you smoked so much weed that you can't remember how much you smoked - that's really bad. Probably a good indicator that you likely don't meet AZ standards.
                    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

If you smoked so much weed that you can't remember how much you smoked - that's really bad. Probably a good indicator that you likely don't meet AZ standards.
                      I'm definitely past AZ Post standards. I know how much I smoked and all of it was well after I was 21. I never touched the stuff until I was over 30. Definitely over the limit for Arizona for 21+ year old. Under the limit for those under 21, but that's not the bed I made to lie in.

On Ignore - A few folks.

Comment

Originally posted by bsd13 View Post
                        I'm definitely past AZ Post standards. I know how much I smoked and all of it was well after I was 21. I never touched the stuff until I was over 30. Definitely over the limit for Arizona for 21+ year old. Under the limit for those under 21, but that's not the bed I made to lie in.
                        Using drugs that late in life in pretty bad. That's well past poor college choices. Even my agency with a very "understanding" policy by any standard wouldn't forgive that. We've hired people that AZ POST would never allow, and likely not allow after a petition.

Off topic but I really don't know why AZ POST would even consider petitions unless we were talking about I used it maybe 18/22 time I'm just not sure. (Although I still wouldn't hire someone, than again I tend to be a hard ---).
                        (\__/)
                        (")_(")

Comment

You have to admit it will be funny when "medical" use card holders start applying...get DQ'd, file suit, and get a settlement over their "medical condition" and their choice to use a "perfectly legal...all natural homiopathic medicine"...LOL.

Comment

Nope. They'll have a disqualifying medical condition if they smoke it. And it's not a cure, but rather a "treatment".
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

My glaucoma's not that bad, I just need something to take the edge off every now and then.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10466 users online. 386 members and 10080 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X