Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Going to GCC's LETA, need help with shopping list.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Going to GCC's LETA, need help with shopping list.

Hey guys,
    I am self-enrolling in GCC's next LETA, so that means I have to buy everything myself. I have this shopping list of stuff that just says “police approved” next to everything. I don’t know what to buy and I don’t want to spend $1,000+ on stuff that I cannot wear or use after I graduate. I know each department is deferent a little in what they issue or allow, but I will most likely try and get a job with ether Phoenix, Glendale or Peoria PD. I tried contacting a few of the HRs but the only one that responded so far was Peoria. Please help me with this list.

1. Uniform Pants and shirts – Brand, model and color?

2. Uniform belt - Brand and color?

3. Duty Belt and accessories – Brand and style i.e. Nylon or basket weave?

4. Duty Holster – Brand? Level 2 or 3?
    -I was think about the black hawk level 3

5. Uniform Name tag?

6. Expandable baton and holder?
    -I was thinking ASP but wasn’t sure about the length, type, or hand grip.

7. Pistol?
    - I was thinking Glock 22 Gen 4, but some of the guys I talked to said go with the 17.

Definately shop around. Uniform shops can be pricey. Check and compare with some of the online stores. Its gonna be a little pricey regardless. When I went through ALEA I had to have leather duty belt but post academy we were allowed nylon. So, I bought a used (but nice) nylon belft from a former detention officer. Try to find stuff that you'll be able to use with any dept. There are a variety of brands and prices. It all depends on what you can afford and like. My personal opinion is that you might pay a little more for a better quality item, but, they will last for years if you take care of your stuff. Firearm.....I'd go with a .40 caliber considering that most, if not all depts use a .40 caliber. Keep all your receipts for write offs.

Comment

Go cheap. Nylon everything. If you're buying a Glock get the G17 because 9mm ammo is cheaper. When your academy is done, sell your gear to a recruit in the class behind you.
      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

The academy staff will tell you what you need, your only going to need black and whites for the first few months...
        AZ POST CERTIFIED JULY 2010

Comment

I don't know what the requirements are for your academy (I am going to CGCC LETA on the other side of the valley) but if GCC is anything like my academy there will be a specific uniform required for your academy uniform. Our academy allows any brand of duty gear as long as it matches but I can't speak for your academy. If you get on with an agency then you should be able to wear their uniform and gear. As far as a gun, you can never go wrong with a Glock in either 9mm or .40 S&W. Since Glock is pretty much the standard you should be fine with getting one for the academy. So besides a handgun, you probably should wait to buy anything but black and whites.

Comment

Penguin suits, ah the memories that brings back. We hated them until summer came and we were in uniforms with vests on. Got into trouble one day and told to get out of uniforms back into penguins which thankfully we all had. Was very comfy then.

Anyway, good advice has previously been posted. If your looking for duty gear to keep for after you graduate, then Bianchi Accumold Elite is some good stuff. It doesn't have brass to worry about polishing and looks like leather only easier to keep looking good. A little bit of an initial investment but it's something you'll have and hopefully have broken in by the time you get picked up with an agency.

Comment

Originally posted by MCSOreserve2B
              "Black and Whites" or your "Penguin Suit" = Black slacks, white button up dress shirt, black (clip on recommended - go to a uniform store) tie, black shoes/boots capable of being polished, black socks.

I would recommend having at least two penguins suits and always have a clean pressed backup with you. Other recruits will forget stuff and if you can lend it to them, you will save the whole class from paying for thieir mistake. Not to mention you won't be the one the whole class is upset with for having to run run run because you forgot something...
              I know ALEA doesn't allow clip on ties. Make sure you know. I currently have 7 white shirts and 3 black pants. The pants are easy to take care of if you know how to. The shirts, I take to a dry cleaner, gives me extra time. But you are going to a different animal as compared to ALEA.
              Sworn - 9/16/11

Comment

Be cautious about buying a clip-on..They are not allowed at ALEA. I am starting week 14 at ALEA and went with 5 white shirts and 3 black pants as far as the penguin suits are concerned. Good Luck

Comment

Originally posted by Boomslang View Post
                  I know ALEA doesn't allow clip on ties... But you are going to a different animal as compared to ALEA.
                  Hand tied ties??? That is very odd.

Don't buy anything until told EXACTLY what you are told to buy....as you need it. Go to your "pre-academy" orientation in dress pants, white dress shirt, and a conservative tie. At the orientation all you need to know will be revealed...LOL

Comment

Thank you all for your advice and input.

Comment

Prior military should NOT have a hard time. Nor should there be stress-induced sleepless nights. Comparatively speaking, ALEA was a cake walk and I was an out-of-town recruit staying at the hotel off I-17.
                      NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                        Prior military should NOT have a hard time. Nor should there be stress-induced sleepless nights. Comparatively speaking, ALEA was a cake walk and I was an out-of-town recruit staying at the hotel off I-17.
                        Compared to what?

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalguy09 View Post
                          Compared to what?
                          I'm guessing the Military..

Comment

Originally posted by SoCalguy09 View Post
                            Compared to what?
                            The United States Marine Corps.
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                              The United States Marine Corps.
                              You fancy, huh?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4479 users online. 213 members and 4266 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X