300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need Advice for Phx

Looking for advice from current LE's in Phx. I have a few buddies who work for Phx who don't think the city will be hiring for the next 1-2 years. Phx would be my top pick to work for if I had my choice...times are tough so I get that I might need to lateral in eventually. I've made it through the entire process with 1 city and am on the wait list for 2 others. Starting the process with 2 more in a few weeks...you get the picture.

I saw that Phx is accepting apps for a reserve class starting soon. Do you think they will likely pull to hire from their reserves in the next few years? I know the training schedule is brutal (2 week nights plus every Sat all day for almost a year). I am willing if that's what it will take...but I also have a family with 3 young kids to think about.

Appreciate any advice...

Originally posted by Minnow33 View Post
    Looking for advice from current LE's in Phx. I have a few buddies who work for Phx who don't think the city will be hiring for the next 1-2 years. Phx would be my top pick to work for if I had my choice...times are tough so I get that I might need to lateral in eventually. I've made it through the entire process with 1 city and am on the wait list for 2 others. Starting the process with 2 more in a few weeks...you get the picture.

I saw that Phx is accepting apps for a reserve class starting soon. Do you think they will likely pull to hire from their reserves in the next few years? I know the training schedule is brutal (2 week nights plus every Sat all day for almost a year). I am willing if that's what it will take...but I also have a family with 3 young kids to think about.

Appreciate any advice...
    Minnow33, first off I want to wish you the best of luck in your search and hopeful eventual hire down the road. Now with that said, why would you want to work for free in Phx, especially with 3 young kids at home? If you were a single guy/girl with no kids than I would say so. But to leave them potentially father/motherless for free? Please put your kids above your career. Just my two cents on that. Plus, for all the time Phx (and other PDs) require, why don't you go to college and start on a degree. Like I always tell people who ask me about reserves, first, you do it for free. Going to court for an arrest might interfere with the job that puts food on the table. Second, if you make a bad name for yourself with officers or supervisors, you might actually shoot your self in the foot (no pun intended). The economy will eventually turn and places will hire again. Again, this is my two cents as an older father/grandfather who's been a cop for many years. I'm just asking you to think about it long and hard. I mean after all, your doing it for free.

Comment

Originally posted by Raggy View Post
      Minnow33, first off I want to wish you the best of luck in your search and hopeful eventual hire down the road. Now with that said, why would you want to work for free in Phx, especially with 3 young kids at home? If you were a single guy/girl with no kids than I would say so. But to leave them potentially father/motherless for free? Please put your kids above your career. Just my two cents on that. Plus, for all the time Phx (and other PDs) require, why don't you go to college and start on a degree. Like I always tell people who ask me about reserves, first, you do it for free. Going to court for an arrest might interfere with the job that puts food on the table. Second, if you make a bad name for yourself with officers or supervisors, you might actually shoot your self in the foot (no pun intended). The economy will eventually turn and places will hire again. Again, this is my two cents as an older father/grandfather who's been a cop for many years. I'm just asking you to think about it long and hard. I mean after all, your doing it for free.
      Raggy, appreciate the feedback man! My family is my utmost top priority, which is also why I'm willing to do whatever it takes to get the job. I guess my line of thinking was that, yes, it would be working for free..but just for a time (hopefully...but I get there is no guarantee). It is hard not to get discouraged after applying over and over without seeing results. I guess I just need to hang in there for the long haul. I actually do have my degree and am half way through my master's in theology. I lost my job about a year ago due to the economy and realize this is my chance to go back and do what I've always wanted to do--be an officer! My wife is extremely supportive and is willing to wait it out with me but as the man I want to make it happen yesterday. My buddies were hired back in the day when groups of 50 were being pushed through every few months. Times have changed!
      Really appreciate your perspective as a husband/father/officer!

Comment

Do yourself a favor--get a degree, find a PD that'll hire you, preferably one in/near Az. & plan to lateral in. Present Management is a mess, policies are changing & you may find there are other PDs as good or better for you than Phx. Don't assume that biggest equals best as there are other PDs in the Valley that are, in some ways, better.......

Comment

+1

In this day and age, take the first job that you're offered. No need to work for free in Phoenix - and with the current budget, last year's pay cut/furlough/no city match to deferred comp/etc. etc. it could be 2015 before hiring picks up again w/Phoenix.

Do as hemi said. Finish your master's degree on the city's dime, get a few years' worth of contributions into AZ PSPRS, then apply w/ Phoenix if and when you feel like losing your seniority and taking a 10000 # serial number. Perhaps you find your own niche someplace before then. Good luck to you.

Comment

Originally posted by JI603 View Post
            +1

In this day and age, take the first job that you're offered. No need to work for free in Phoenix - and with the current budget, last year's pay cut/furlough/no city match to deferred comp/etc. etc. it could be 2015 before hiring picks up again w/Phoenix.

Do as hemi said. Finish your master's degree on the city's dime, get a few years' worth of contributions into AZ PSPRS, then apply w/ Phoenix if and when you feel like losing your seniority and taking a 10000 # serial number. Perhaps you find your own niche someplace before then. Good luck to you.
            Appreciate the advice! I will gladly accept any job offered at this point...sounds like there are a lot of changes going on. I know the right job will open up with the right city at some point--wherever that may be.

Comment

As a current member of the PPD, I would suggest you forget about being hired by Phoenix anytime soon. We aren't supposed to be hiring until 2014. With the way crime has dropped combined with the "Independent" report that just came out suggesting that we make massive cuts in personnel, now is NOT the time to try to get in with Phoenix. There are plenty of other good agencies out there. Pursue jobs with any of the other agencies, and GOOD LUCK!
              "Luck" is what happens when preparation meets opportunity.
              www.lockpicktraining.com
              sigpic
              "Professional training in practical entry techniques."

Comment

Originally posted by Jericho View Post
                As a current member of the PPD, I would suggest you forget about being hired by Phoenix anytime soon. We aren't supposed to be hiring until 2014. With the way crime has dropped combined with the "Independent" report that just came out suggesting that we make massive cuts in personnel, now is NOT the time to try to get in with Phoenix. There are plenty of other good agencies out there. Pursue jobs with any of the other agencies, and GOOD LUCK!
                Yea...just saw that report. Applying everywhere that is open. Thinking about Phx PD Dispatch as an alternative in the meantime. It feels like a waiting game for every city right now...but at least some are hiring in small numbers.

Comment

I recently heard a rumor (a rumor, mind you, so take this with a grain of salt) that if PPD hires at all within the next year or two (or three?), it will be all laterals. Which makes sense, since it will save them the immense cost of sending people through a training academy. That's not so good for an agency like mine (state), with lower pay and few opportunities for OT, because nearly every able-bodied young buck with fewer than 10 years will be falling over themselves to get hired with PPD. We're already severely short-staffed; when Phoenix pulls the plug and starts to hire, we'll be hosed!

@Minnow33, I agree with the above advice regarding hiring on with a smaller agency and later, if you find you still want to go to PPD, try to lateral in. As far as school, you shouldn't need a bachelor's degree to get on with most agencies here, and if that's the case with the ones you're testing with, you might consider getting hired first and finishing your degree part time later. I don't think the degree is unimportant; but the economy is so volatile right now, and many agencies don't know what their budget outlooks are from year to year, you may want to snatch a job while you can and worry about school and PPD later. Good luck to you, whatever you decide.
                  "I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for the sake of mine." -John Galt

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3125 users online. 193 members and 2932 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X