X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• AZ SB 1609...the end of a good pension program as we know it

Check out this link:

http://www.azleg.gov//FormatDocument...Session_ID=102

The AZ Legislature is destroying the current pension program and for those of you who are not cops yet...better hope you are not in it at all for the benefits, because they are about to go away for the most part.

Write your representative.

So, besides the contributions going up and not being able to use off duty to boost your retirement and the several other . If you are hired on or after 1/12/2012 you have to work 25 and no DROP?? I have been hearing talk radio, specifically Bruce St James bash and bash our retirement plan. He makes it seem that we are taking in 100,000 plus a year in retirement and all of us are double dipping. he doesnt understand that we are not the elected officials, we do not make the big salaries, most of us do not double dip.....nor do I think that most of us want to. This is the thanks we get for putting our lives on the line to protect them. He also makes it sound that taxpayers pay every cent of our retirement. He doesnt understand that my retirement contribution is essentially helping to pay those already retired and so on and so on. I would be happy to meet him and return the couple of dollars of his taxes that acutally went to public service.

Comment

Good fat pensions are unsustainable now. The politicians squandered the money when it was good times and did not invest it and shore up the retirement plans. Now we pay the price...

Comment

Originally posted by chtinaz74 View Post
        So, besides the contributions going up and not being able to use off duty to boost your retirement and the several other . If you are hired on or after 1/12/2012 you have to work 25 and no DROP?? I have been hearing talk radio, specifically Bruce St James bash and bash our retirement plan. He makes it seem that we are taking in 100,000 plus a year in retirement and all of us are double dipping. he doesnt understand that we are not the elected officials, we do not make the big salaries, most of us do not double dip.....nor do I think that most of us want to. This is the thanks we get for putting our lives on the line to protect them. He also makes it sound that taxpayers pay every cent of our retirement. He doesnt understand that my retirement contribution is essentially helping to pay those already retired and so on and so on. I would be happy to meet him and return the couple of dollars of his taxes that acutally went to public service.
        NH is changing too...if things go through as currently planned, I'll have to work 24 and have a minimum age of..49, I think?
        summer - winter - work

Comment

Originally posted by chtinaz74 View Post
          We also pay state taxes too, so *technically* we actually pay to work on some small, meager level. The classic "I pay your salary!" phrase is pretty easily countered with "Yeah? I pay my salary too!"

Comment

There's a rumor going around that this would change all current emloyees plans and make them work for 25 years before they can retire. Of course, no one spreading this rumor has actually read the bill, so go figure...
            Still though, it does suck. When the **** hits the fan, the politicians love to budget on the backs of the guys making $40k a year.

Comment

This is were we can hope the police unions/associations will have our backs. I mean leaglly, how can you hire a person with XXX amount of pay and XXX amount of benefits and then take them away? I don't remember when times were good and cash was falling out of the pols pockets that they lowered our contributions, etc. I want to see suits and legal action by the associations, not golf tournaments and fishing derby's. Put out hard earned money to use!!

Comment

yeah this effects fire fighters, police, corrections...especially with fire's unions fighting against it, this better not pass.

Comment

The police leaders could really send a "silent" message if they instructed their troops to write nothing but warnings on non-criminal traffic citations. Watch how fast the courts will jump to the PD's defense when the steady stream of employment.......err, I mean fines come to a screeching halt.

Also, like other states, when guys/gals retire and then come back to work in police/fire, their pension payments should stop until they are retired again. This would stop "double-dipping" and get some new blood into leadership, not recycled blood.
                  Last edited by Raggy; 03-30-2011, 07:40 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

I find it amusing that people are all up in arms about these 'big money pensions' that everyone seems to be getting. Yeah, I'm really going to be livin' large on my $20,000.00 a year pension...

Comment

AZCOPS and FOP are fighting this as best they can. If you haven't seen it this past week there have been some television commercials being run in addition to other media spots. The changes relating to current employees will end up in a lawsuit before its over because the house and senate refuse to budge on some issues. We are all going to take it in the shorts to one degree or another. If you area labor organization member you really need to get involved in the form of $ and letter/email writing to help mitigate what is coming.

Comment

Sounds good AZDogs. I just want to see all union/associations money going towards the cause (pensions). I hate to see when there are major issues like this and I see flyers for a golf tournament at ABC Country Club. At those outings, the same old brownie-hounds all want to play with the chiefs long-wood hoping to better themselves and their careers, while the rest of us get stuck with the shaft.

Comment

Ya know it is so funny how all of this pension talk is just now coming up. Here in Illinois we have the largest pension deficit in the country supposedly.
                          What I find funny, and you guys in AZ know it even better than us, is that these pensions could easily be fully funded, its just a matter of looking at what states spend their money on.
                          Illinois and certainly you folks, spend hundereds of millions of dollars on giving illegal immigrants food stamps, social security, unemployment, free school lunches for their anchor babies, etc etc.
                          If all of these states would just stop funding illegals, and put the money towards plublic servants retirements, the pension crisis would be gone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6418 users online. 365 members and 6053 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X