300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Info Needed Please

I am looking for some info from some sworn LEO's in Arizona. I am a sworn Officer in NJ and with the economy here the way it is my department is next on the chopping block for lay offs with me possibly being one of the many getting the ax. So I'm considering my options of going out of state and possibly Arizona. If anyone has any info on departments that are taking laterals from out of state I would greatly appreciate it. Also if you can tell me what you like and don't like about working in AZ would be appreciated as well. Any info on retirement, pay, and benefits would be great also. Feel free to PM me if needed.

Sorry to hear about your situation brother. There are quite a few AZ agencies that were considering laying off people, and most are on a hiring freeze of sorts. Here's a link to our state POST page. When they were thinking about cutting cops' jobs here, AZ POST listed a few agencies that were willing to hire displaced officers. You might try those first.

http://www.azpost.state.az.us/DisplacementPage.htm

Times are tough - good luck.

PS - Retirement is 50% at 20 years with a 5% contribution from the officer each year. (this is up for debate - big time issue here in AZ at the moment)

Pay and benefits vary of course. Painting with a broad brush, agencies in the Phoenix metro area pay better than the smaller departments and sheriff's offices in other areas of the state. Pros and cons to both, of course.

Comment

Thanks a lot for the info brother I guess times are tough all over the country. I'll try looking at stated that are little colder also. Thanks again and stay safe.

Comment

Hey Glock, take a look at Texas. There seem to be quite a few different PDs around the 3 big cities that are hiring. It is real tough to get on here in AZ with budget issues. Plus as others told me before I came out here, east coast and west coast policing styles are VERY different. It took my a while to get used to policing here in AZ, having come from the east coast myself. There is a true brotherhood among east coast police officers, not here in AZ. Don't get me wrong, I'm not telling you it's not a good place to work-plenty of action, but just keep that in mind. PM me if you have questions. Good Luck in your search.

Comment

Glock33,,ditto to what Raggy said and I lateraled here from NJ...feel free to PM me

Comment

City of Peoira. Good pay, good benefits, and getting raises back in 2013. Peoria has the easiest lateral process than any agency in the area.

Hi Fugitive.

Comment

OH BOY! Where to start?
              There are alot of agencies talking of lay-offs, but not much yet. As you've seen here, some smaller PDs are actually hiring. In terms of benefits, RUMOR has it many PDs are looking at 25yrs before retirement, pension-eligible at 55 and there is talk of doing away with D.R.O.P. and/or City contributed retirement---keep in mind these are RUMORS.
              Now as to the the "things" about Az. law enforcement.
              Training is generally pretty good, though you'll find O.T. & specialty assignments may not be as "lucrative" as you're used to. Same with the comraderie. Out here, PDs are more of the "L.A. model" than the "N.Y. model", so don't expect the same treatment or attitudes. Phx PD. specifically, rewards you for ratting out another officer--- never seen anything like it, so consider that carefully. Equipment is generally good unless you get on one of the larger PDs, in which case it's the typical fleet-managed type stuff. Management in many PDs try to emulate if not outright copy PHX PDs policies & procedures since it's the largest agency in the State.That's not always a good thing. Most cities have small, if any, ethnic neighborhoods, so that amy seem forgein to you. Out here you can find Town Marshalls or full-sized urban PDs, it just depeneds what you're looking for. PM me if you have any specific questions........

Comment

Fugitive, I used to laugh when some skell would call and try to make a complaint against an officer w/out leaving their name, contact info, etc, and the desk sgt would yell at them and slam the phone down on them. Not here in Arizona. They will IA you and make you prove your innocence against an annonymous complaint. Glock33, before you take a job here, really think about it. I think the thing that shocked me the most coming from the east coast, were police officers laughing and joking about arresting other police officers during training classes.

Comment

Raggy, we must have been in the same training class, maybe the officers that were laughing were from a dept in the East Valley that begins with a G...I also miss the Desk Lt telling some drunk idiot there who is making a complaint to leave or else he will get locked up for disorderly conduct.,,I dont miss cars where you can see the road when you look at the floor, lightbars where only one side of the lightbar works,,,hours to book someone,,I could go on and on. Yea IA's are pretty ridiculous out here,,,they do go overboard. I believe Glendale PD just took a right step with their new policy on anonymous IA's

Comment

Fugitive, that's so funny, but so correct. I remember going to a serious collision w/lts and siren. Nobody was getting out of my way. I was so furious, until I got to the scene and noticed that only 1 back light on my strobe bar worked. Now I know why nobody moved. My former LT used to have his "P.O.P" arrest charge-****ing off the police. Well, it actually became disorderly conduct. There was 1 warning to shut up and leave, turn the stereo down, etc.
                    Last edited by Raggy; 03-16-2011, 11:36 AM. Reason: typos

Comment

Originally posted by glock33 View Post
                      I am looking for some info from some sworn LEO's in Arizona. I am a sworn Officer in NJ and with the economy here the way it is my department is next on the chopping block for lay offs with me possibly being one of the many getting the ax. So I'm considering my options of going out of state and possibly Arizona. If anyone has any info on departments that are taking laterals from out of state I would greatly appreciate it. Also if you can tell me what you like and don't like about working in AZ would be appreciated as well. Any info on retirement, pay, and benefits would be great also. Feel free to PM me if needed.
                      This is from Mesa PD, http://www.mesaaz.gov/pdjobs/Default.aspx

Starting March 18, 2011, the Mesa Police Department will be opening the application process for the position of Lateral Police Officer. Applications will be accepted on an on-going basis, and applicants will be selected to fill vaccancies as they arise.*

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6252 users online. 364 members and 5888 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X