300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Arizona DOC

Anybody here with these guys? I'm looking to go to Phoenix or Tucson because the girlfriend lives in Queen Creek. What's the process like, the leadership, etc.

Funny you should post this, as I was getting ready to ask the same thing.
    I too would be interested in what the overall feel for them is like. Pay is lower than most county correctional jobs although with the state your HR 218 covered with is nice.

Also personally, all things the same, I'd pick Tucson over Phoenix. Still a large city, but with smaller town feel. That's just personal choice though and I'm sure most of the Phoenix guys on here will disagree
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Incorrect sir, Arizona DOC Officers are not covered under HR 218. They do not meet the requirments. The one requirment they are missing is that they do not have arrest powers.

Under state law they are authorized to carry under the same authority as any Police Officer. But thats at the state level only.

Comment

Originally posted by StalkerCop View Post
        Incorrect sir, Arizona DOC Officers are not covered under HR 218. They do not meet the requirments. The one requirment they are missing is that they do not have arrest powers.

Under state law they are authorized to carry under the same authority as any Police Officer. But thats at the state level only.
        That's my mistake than as I should not trust everything I'm told. I heard they were from a CO I talked to at the gas station.
        (\__/)
        (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
        (")_(")
        Copy and paste Bunny into your
        signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

Any idea on the length of the process?

Comment

This thread is very interesting. I'm currently a correctional officer with the Wisconsin DOC and I want to apply for the Arizona DOC. I wouldn't mind living in the Phoenix area. I just wonder which facility I should apply for?

Comment

There are 3 facilities in the Phoenix area. They have females facility (Perryville), Lewis which is mostly general population (about 40 miles west of Phoenix), and Florence which is the Special Management Unit and you would itself describres. This last facility is over in Florence, AZ which is about 45 minutes drive south of Phoenix. Good luck if you decide to come over to Phoenix. It's getting hot.
              Go wildcats!

Comment

So how is the hiring process with AZDOC? Does it move quickly or rather slow? How is the morale, or does that depend on the facility you work at? Is it fair to assume overtime is scarce since I see on their site that furloughs are mandatory for 2011 an 12.
                Nothing worth having comes easy...earn it

Comment

From what i've read on the DOC site in the training ...DOC officer's can carry off duty ...Just like DPS but do not have any arresting power's .

Comment

Originally posted by ruger44 View Post
                    From what i've read on the DOC site in the training ...DOC officer's can carry off duty ...Just like DPS but do not have any arresting power's .
                    pretty much...but so does everyone in az

Comment

But not everyone can walk into a store with a gun and get the look's ....That gun and badge mean's you represent the state ...They don't just hand out a cert card to anyone

Comment

But not everyone can walk into a store with a gun and get the look's ....That gun and badge mean's you represent the state ...They don't just hand out a cert card to anyone
                        You would wear a visible gun and badge without powers of arrest? I suspect you are also lacking a radio and ballistic vest too?

It used to be only certain DOC officers were issued weapons (i.e. transport). They didn't generally take their weapon home and they couldn't use their personal weapon at work. That meant no firearm worn with uniform while not on duty (i.e. no looks at the store). I would be surprised if that policy has changed substantially. Street clothes, personal CCW, and DOC ID would be preferred (the creds are only to identify to LE if/when you are stopped).

And no, it's not just like DPS.
                        Last edited by MG108; 04-29-2011, 03:14 AM.
                        "Did that hurt? It looked like it hurt"

Comment

Rumor has it we just had one of our police officers put in notice to take a job as a correctional officer in Arizona, but I don't know if it was a state job or with the Federal Bureau of Prisons

Comment

Ok this is rediculous. AZDOC does not issue guns to their officers. Officers who actually use a gun on their daily duties, pick it up and turn in back in at the end of their shift. If a DOC officers walks into a store with a gun and badge then its their personal gun. Only AZDOC Special Investigators are issued guns from the department. And yes, just about anyone can be a DOC officer. Its not much of an honor.

Comment

Originally posted by StalkerCop View Post
                              Ok this is rediculous. AZDOC does not issue guns to their officers. Officers who actually use a gun on their daily duties, pick it up and turn in back in at the end of their shift. If a DOC officers walks into a store with a gun and badge then its their personal gun. Only AZDOC Special Investigators are issued guns from the department. And yes, just about anyone can be a DOC officer. Its not much of an honor.
                              lol the part about how its not much of an honor cracks me up. Dont go posting that in the correction section. Honor is relative and ill leave it at that.

Before the new concealed carry law, corrections officers were allowed by law to carry concealed without a ccw. Now everyone can.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2654 users online. 147 members and 2507 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X