Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for advice or suggestions to achieve my goal.

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Looking for advice or suggestions to achieve my goal.

    After filling out some applications and talking to some recruiters I have hit a major snag. 5 years ago I committed a felony. I took money from an ex fiances fathers (who was at the time my ex boss as well) home safe. He confronted me the next day, and i returned the money without involving the police. I have zero and I mean zero marks on my record other than this. No moving violations, accidents, drug usage, credit problems or anything else.

    I have already been told to never apply to MCSO again, and today I spoke with a DPS recruiter who said I wouldn't make it past the initial application. He did say to start at a smaller department though.

    My end goal is to be a highway patrol man. Im not set on Arizona, but this is where I am right now. From this point on how do I get there? I have a bachelors degree, a great job with loss prevention, great professional references and a willingness to do anything to make my goal. Is it a matter of plugging away when dept's start hiring again, or are there things I can do right now to give myself a better position.

    Sorry for the long post, but Im afraid I could have messed up my chances with this one mistake. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks

  • #2
    Originally posted by AZNewbie View Post
    After filling out some applications and talking to some recruiters I have hit a major snag. 5 years ago I committed a felony. I took money from an ex fiances fathers (who was at the time my ex boss as well) home safe. He confronted me the next day, and i returned the money without involving the police. I have zero and I mean zero marks on my record other than this. No moving violations, accidents, drug usage, credit problems or anything else.

    I have already been told to never apply to MCSO again, and today I spoke with a DPS recruiter who said I wouldn't make it past the initial application. He did say to start at a smaller department though.

    My end goal is to be a highway patrol man. Im not set on Arizona, but this is where I am right now. From this point on how do I get there? I have a bachelors degree, a great job with loss prevention, great professional references and a willingness to do anything to make my goal. Is it a matter of plugging away when dept's start hiring again, or are there things I can do right now to give myself a better position.

    Sorry for the long post, but Im afraid I could have messed up my chances with this one mistake. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Thanks
    I am a bit confused. You stated that you took money from your ex-fiance's father, then returned it to him, all without involving the police. However, you also state that you have been convicted of a felony. How did you you get convicted of a felony without having the police being involved (i.e. arresting you)? Was the felony conviction because of the theft of your ex-fiance's father's money? Something else? How was there no police involvement, if you were convicted of a felony? Please fill in the blanks here, por favor, because what you wrote is not passing the smell test.
    sigpicTwo is one,
    one is none.

    Comment


    • #3
      He never says convicted.... just "committed" a felony.
      Last edited by icecoldblueyes; 10-29-2009, 01:05 PM.
      Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity,
      and I'm not sure about the former.
      -Albert Einstein


      sigpic

      Comment


      • #4
        LOL. I can pass any smell test sir. I did say commit a felony, not convicted of. Every question on the applications ask for convictions, but the police were not involved because he called me to ask me about the money, I said yes I took it and Im sorry, he said he understood he just wanted it back, and I gave it back.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by AZNewbie View Post
          LOL. I can pass any smell test sir. I did say commit a felony, not convicted of. Every question on the applications ask for convictions, but the police were not involved because he called me to ask me about the money, I said yes I took it and Im sorry, he said he understood he just wanted it back, and I gave it back.
          Your smell test is hardly passed, by any means. The mere fact that the MCSO has told you "thanks, but no thanks" should be your first clue. Back to your original post: You posted "I committed a felony." May I ask how your act constituted a felony? More to the point, what was the dollar amount you allegedly stole from your ex-fiance's father, and how exactly did you gain access to the amount of money in question?
          sigpicTwo is one,
          one is none.

          Comment


          • #6
            Well I meant smell test as to there is more to the story than I am telling. My app for MSCO was completely clean except for this glaring issue. I thought this constituted a felony because I took $3,000 dollars out of his home safe without his knowledge.

            I have no problem discussing any part of this issue with anyone because I want to move on and achieve my goal. I am completely open and honest and hope to get as much as possible from this forum.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by AZNewbie View Post
              Well I meant smell test as to there is more to the story than I am telling. My app for MSCO was completely clean except for this glaring issue. I thought this constituted a felony because I took $3,000 dollars out of his home safe without his knowledge.

              I have no problem discussing any part of this issue with anyone because I want to move on and achieve my goal. I am completely open and honest and hope to get as much as possible from this forum.
              Ok. Good. The more pieces to this puzzle that are on the table to work with, the better. The story thus far: You allegedly took $3000.00 from your ex-fiance's father, without the legal right to do so. He, of course, discovers the money is gone, contacts you, and you admit to taking it. You then return the money in question to your ex-fiance's father, who in turn does not fill out a police report; if you are not a religous man, now would be a good time to start being one, since had your ex-fiance's father done so...well, I think you get it.

              The kicker here, and why MCSO has permanently disqualified you from being able to apply for law enforcement position with them, not to mention why the DPS recruiter told you that you would not make it pass the initial application phase with their department, is that two questions that are invariably asked of all recruits (whether in an application packet, during a polygraph examination, etc.) are: "Have you every been involved in, committed, witnessed, participated in, been arrested for or detained for investigative purpose for any of the following...(one of these can be Theft)," or "Do you have any knowledge or information, in addition to that specifically asked for in the preceding questions, which is or may be relevant, directly or indirectly, in connection with an investigation of your eligibility or concerning your character, temperance,habits, employment, education, criminal record, etc.?"

              My guess is that you self-reported this event to MCSO, which is why they barred you, and you did the same with the DPS recruiter resulting in the answer he/she gave you. Even though you were not formally convicted of any crime, your action (in the eyes of a law enforcement agency) puts a sizeable dent into your character. Now, there is nothing stopping you from subsequently not reporting this to any other agency you apply to. However, this would be a roll of the dice I think you should not contemplate doing. Why? Besides the whole integrity thing, an individual can only control what a background investigator will turn up to a certain degree. You could very well make it deep into an agency's hiring process, only to have this ugly thing rear its head when a background investigator interviews a reference or neighbor, who could let it slip out (by mistake or on purpose), and then the whole thing blows up in your face. Now, I am not saying that you would conceal this, nor am I conveying a lack of character/integrity on your part. I want this to be known right here and now. However, it is alot to think about, and only you know what direction you will take in regards to this matter. Good luck.
              sigpicTwo is one,
              one is none.

              Comment


              • #8
                Sorry, no agency I know of in Az. will hire you. Sooner or later the "acquisition" of the money will become known either by BIs from agencies checking where you applied first (like MCSO) or in the polygraph or if they contact your ex-fiance's father.This is an example of how childhood behavior can come back & bite you in the ***** ---and think about it---as a Chief how do you defend an officer's felonious behavior & as a front-line officer, do you really want to go to burglary calls & having to keep an extra "eye" on your partner?
                Alot of places & most officers can forgive juvenile misdemeanors but you commited this as an adult. I really am sorry, but I think you missed your opportunity.

                Comment


                • #9
                  I do appreciate the responses, but I am in no way looking for a way to hide my actions. I am as honest and upfront as possible. I am looking for a way to become an officer now. If hemicop is right, then so be it. We all have to deal with what we have done, and I know this could have been the biggest mistake of my life.

                  I want to know what I can do now to better my chances of becoming an officer. Volunteer? More job experience with more responsibilities to prove myself? I will keep applying to agencies and hopefully be able to prove myself as the person I know I am.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by AZNewbie View Post
                    I do appreciate the responses, but I am in no way looking for a way to hide my actions. I am as honest and upfront as possible. I am looking for a way to become an officer now. If hemicop is right, then so be it. We all have to deal with what we have done, and I know this could have been the biggest mistake of my life.

                    I want to know what I can do now to better my chances of becoming an officer. Volunteer? More job experience with more responsibilities to prove myself? I will keep applying to agencies and hopefully be able to prove myself as the person I know I am.
                    As you have read, what you have done has made your chances of joining those of us in the law enforcement community next to nil. While the odds are seriously against you, the only possible mitigating factor that I can conceive of that might, BIG MIGHT, help you out here is if you join the armed forces. This might, again BIG MIGHT, help by establishing that you have undergone training that focused on discipline, honor, and integrity, and will also go along way to put some distance between the person you were then (not to mention from the event in question), and the person who was able to serve their country honorably for whatever time your enlistment period was for. I need to stress that this is a longshot, and could very well not matter in the eyes of some law enforcement agencies. However, I know of far too many law enforcement agencies (either city, county, state, and federal) that give alot of weight to those who have served their country, and this could just be the one factor that could let things fall in your favor. No promises though.
                    sigpicTwo is one,
                    one is none.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Little more on the subject Kennedy,and before someone jumps the gun this explanation is in no shape or form an excuse for my actions, but more of letting you know what kind mess my head was in at the time of this.

                      Engaged to a girl, dropped out of school and moved away from my family to help her father in a small business as her mother died of cancer. Her father told me he was buying us a house, paying back the 10k that I had put down on the wedding so far, and said I would be partner in the business. 4 months after her mother passed away, she cheated on me, end the relationship and he fired me and kicked me out of the house. A month later while getting more things from their house that I had forgotten in my hastey move, i see the safe, which is a small fire proof box, open with about 20k in there. I grab three bundles, 3k, and walk out with all my stuff as well as the money. He calls me that night to ask me about it, I said yes I did it and it was stupid and I am sorry, he says he understands and he just wants it back. I drive the next morning to give it back and never speak to him or her again.

                      I am looking to redeem myself as a responsible and trust worthy person I know I am, but I am getting the idea that this may be something that holds me back from achieving my goals. I can deal with that, but I sure as hell am going to give it my best to get there.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        My Two Cents

                        I was talking to a buddy today who retired from the Phoenix Police Department about a psych test I just took. (We talked before I read this thread). I thought some of the questions were kind of goofy which brought us to the subject of Integrity as a major screening point with LE.
                        He told me a story about a guy in his academy so many years ago who woke up late, came in late and made the excuse that he had a flat tire. An instructor took him to the location in a cruiser and found that he was not telling the truth. They kicked him out of the academy.
                        This same friend got a medal of valor/honor with the department for saving his partners life in a shoot out. He stayed by his wounded partners side and continued returning fire. Integrity is a big deal in LE.
                        Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

                        Thomas Jefferson

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You have to understand that PDs in the Valley are, in a sense, a big clique and being some of the largest agencies in the State have a huge influence over AZPOST. Unlike other places they emphasize honesty (at least for line personnel) so my suggestion is perhaps try an out of state agency then maybe lateral in if you can.
                          I'm not suggesting other States have lower standards, but rather, perhaps the need for applicants in a less heavily populated area may help you reach your goal or the Dept. & its BIs aare more understanding of your situation...

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Thanks so much Hemicop. I am waiting on California Highway Patrol and Texas DPS actually. I am also looking into security forces for air force, as well as doing some volunteer work right now, since my financial situation is better than when I first moved here.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by Kennedyford
                              Alaska...?
                              Alaska is picky.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4689 users online. 274 members and 4415 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X