Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Citizens on Patrol in Gilbert?

Hi All -

I went on my first ride-along this weekend in Gilbert, had an amazing time. I really think it made me decide that I want to change careers to the law enforcement field.

Since this is bad timing with no jobs, and no one really hiring, I figured the next best thing is to volunteer some time with Gilbert PD.

I contacted them this morning and they informed me they have openings for 'Citizens on Patrol' and they are sending me a packet for it.

I can't find much on their website, what exactly the 'Citizens on Patrol' is. If any of you know, it would be great if you could help explain!

Thanks!

C.O.P. is just a program for volunteers to act as an extra set of eyes and ears for the hosting LE agency. Most volunteers drive/ride around in a company vehicle and conduct mobile patrols around areas where LE normally isn't frequently present. More than anything you show an LE presence to help deter crime before it starts. C.O.P. volunteers are not paid and do not possess any LE powers. Most require that you have no direct contact with individuals/suspects, criminals, etc. If you come across something your job is to notify LE to handle it. I guess to sum it up, you are basically a mobile neighborhood watch. Hope this helps clarify some things for you.

Comment

Also a note:

Have you ever consider Sheriff Posse? They have a much more wide range of valunteer's...I'm sure you can find what your looking for at their next meeting. I belive it's the 3rd Wednesday of every month.

Comment

Not to be negative, but in my opinion the C.O.P. program is a waste of tax payer money... At my agency, we have both C.O.P. and POSSE. All the COP volunteers do is get in the way, take up valuable radio air time, and call in stuff the road deputies already know/knew about. POSSE is different, those guys I appreciate and love to work with. They help transport prisoners, fill out paperwork, and act as backup when there are no other deputies avail. They carry armed, and drive marked patrol vehicles. They have no LE powers, unless a certified deputy gives them permission. POSSE is specific only to Sheriff's Offices, and even then POSSE programs vary. Maricopa County and Pinal County both have good programs with good reputations among certified deputies.

In short:
        COP is a warm, fuzzy, feel good program for citizens and public relations. POSSE actually helps out in the field for those who want to really HELP law enforcement. My 2 cents.
        "In GOD we trust... All others are run through NCIC."

Comment

Originally posted by SHERiFF0880 View Post
          Not to be negative, but in my opinion the C.O.P. program is a waste of tax payer money... At my agency, we have both C.O.P. and POSSE. All the COP volunteers do is get in the way, take up valuable radio air time, and call in stuff the road deputies already know/knew about. POSSE is different, those guys I appreciate and love to work with. They help transport prisoners, fill out paperwork, and act as backup when there are no other deputies avail. They carry armed, and drive marked patrol vehicles. They have no LE powers, unless a certified deputy gives them permission. POSSE is specific only to Sheriff's Offices, and even then POSSE programs vary. Maricopa County and Pinal County both have good programs with good reputations among certified deputies.

In short:
          COP is a warm, fuzzy, feel good program for citizens and public relations. POSSE actually helps out in the field for those who want to really HELP law enforcement. My 2 cents.
          " agreed "

I'm in the process of getting QaP certified myself. I'm in Posse and I love it.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3313 users online. 157 members and 3156 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X