300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Reserves...?

I have a few questions. How do you guys feel about starting out as a reserve and moving in to a career job when the departments start hiring again. Is this a good route and what are pros and cons of this. Any info will be great.

Originally posted by RS033 View Post
    I have a few questions. How do you guys feel about starting out as a reserve and moving in to a career job when the departments start hiring again. Is this a good route and what are pros and cons of this. Any info will be great.
    It's the back door but it is possible. Some officers don't like it.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Been a reserve for two years now. All the officers enjoy our company. Great way to get a foot in the door. It's what you want to do, not what others want. Everybody has to start somewhere. Good luck.
      "Abandon your animosities and make your sons Americans." - Robert E. Lee, 1865

Comment

The "con" part is the amount of training you'll have to do on your own time to make it through PLUS the additional time once you've graduated to be solo certified. You're essentially looking at about a year before you can solo.
        However, the "pro" part is that it gets you known within the Dept., you still have your current job if you decide LE isn't for you & you get the "feel" of the Dept. without a comittment you may later regret. While some may look at it as "backdooring " your way into the job, the fact is you're required to pass the same tests as full-time officers (without pay) & go through the same FTO & probation requirements, so I can't really see it as "backdooring" your way into anything......

Comment

Thanks guys I will go talk to a few next week.

Comment

I started as a reserve, it wasn't considered back dooring, it was more like paying your dues and earning a fulltime position in the department.

Comment

If you want to wear this uniform, go through all of the training in your spare time, pay for everything yourself, and not get paid to do this job.....and then go full time, I saw congratulations, and you have way more perserverance than I do!

We had several reserves who then went full time, one was a reserve for 20 plus years. I think it shows the willingness and the desire to be out there, and obviously not just for a paycheck! I see absolutely nothing wrong with that and hope it works out!
              "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

i support it all the way!!!

Comment

Reserves is good to go.
                  Last edited by 3oomstick; 11-01-2009, 01:37 AM.
                  Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Isn't that what I just wrote?
                    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Does Gilbert have reserves?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5631 users online. 345 members and 5286 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X