300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bkbindustries View Post
    Unless I am reading this wrong 13-3102 now says that Correction Officers and Detention Officers are allowed to carry on school grounds and at a public event which I am guessing would mean baseball games, foot ball games etc..? Is this wrong? Does anyone else read different?

3oomstick- I agree with you and if this is true about the schools grounds and everything I see a big mistake coming. I would keep my eyes open for this to be changing soon.
    13-3102C applied to Correction Officers prior to SB 1242.
    Shop smart. Shop S-Mart.

Comment

Are there any Detention Officers in here who have been briefed on the subject?

Comment

Originally posted by C0d3 thr33 View Post
        I haven't received any type of briefing from my agency. I became aware of SB1242 when it passed and now just recently I noticed the revisions were implemented in ARS.

Comment

Originally posted by C0d3 thr33 View Post
          Havent really heard anything yet. I would more less look at this as a grey area. Take it as you wish, it doesnt state that you have to be weapon certified (yet). Just remember it will come down to a judge if you get in trouble and I could see this going either way. If you plan to carry this way I would HIGHLY recomend that you keep some sort of identification with your agency with you at all times.
          Salt River PD
          Physical - PASS
          Written - PASS
          Oral Board - WAITING

Tempe PD
          Application on file

Comment

Originally posted by bkbindustries View Post
            Havent really heard anything yet. I would more less look at this as a grey area. Take it as you wish, it doesnt state that you have to be weapon certified (yet). Just remember it will come down to a judge if you get in trouble and I could see this going either way. If you plan to carry this way I would HIGHLY recomend that you keep some sort of identification with your agency with you at all times.
            I'm not yet 21, but if I was an under-21 DO I would play it safe, turn 21 and get my CCW.

Something could go south very quickly and ruin a future in law enforcement.

Thanks for the replies everyone.
            Last edited by C0d3 thr33; 10-16-2009, 02:36 AM.

Comment

You can most definetly open carry and I would just stick with that until you are able to physically obtain a CCW
              Salt River PD
              Physical - PASS
              Written - PASS
              Oral Board - WAITING

Tempe PD
              Application on file

Comment

Originally posted by SDFGlazer View Post
                I don't know about the specifics but others, more knowledgeable than I, have posted that

MCSO are not sworn officers and can not CCW. DOC are sworn officers and can carry CCW.
                Your not posting a clear and accurate statement here. DOC officers are NOT sworn peace officers. They are authorized to carry concealed because their weapons training is governed by AZPOST. However they are NOT sworn peace officers. DOC Investigators are sworn peace officers with full police authority.

Comment

Oh!

Originally posted by StalkerCop View Post
                  Your not posting a clear and accurate statement here. DOC officers are NOT sworn peace officers. They are authorized to carry concealed because their weapons training is governed by AZPOST. However they are NOT sworn peace officers. DOC Investigators are sworn peace officers with full police authority.
                  Thanks for the clarification!
                  Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Here's the deal for Detention Officers. If a DO is qualified for a duty weapon with an agency, then he/her is excempt from taking a CCW course. If we want to carry concealed while off duty, we get a letter from our agency and supply it to the CCW unit at DPS. We atill have to pay the $60 fee to DPS in order to get the concealed permit.

This only gets us a CCW permit. In no way are we afforded the same priveleges that a Peace Officer gets in carrying a weapon. So, if the average citizen with a CCW permit is not permitted to carry a weapon in a certain place, the same rules apply for the off duty Detention Officer. On Duty Detention Officers can carry anywhere they go, as they are on duty.

I hope this helps.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6037 users online. 348 members and 5689 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X