300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Law Enforcement Education

Just wondering if anyone is working on degrees in anything relating to law enforcement. Taking classes on-line? Undergraduate or graduate degree?

Trying to figure out my own career path and would be interested in hearing some feedback. I have a BA but it has nothing to do with law enforcement.

I talked to a councilor at the university of phoenix and they tried to push me towards an MBA which didn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't a masters in Criminal Justice, prison administration etc be more useful? Or go back an get another Undergraduate degree.

Thanks
    Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

Thomas Jefferson

SDFGlazer,
    Be VERY careful with the University of Phoenix; my personal experience with them is not a positive one. They appear very helpful and friendly when they're trying to get you to enroll, but looks can be very deceiving. Unfortunately like most entities these days, they're in it only for the money, and they are ridiculously over-priced for what they offer. I'd rather spend the money at a State University where at least I'm getting some kind of bang for my buck.

Comment

agree. My wife goes to UOP and she is halfway done with her schooling. They over charge. They teach you nothing! really all they do is tell you post this. and that's it! they wait to send you back any refund from finacial aid if you have any left over for the reason you get the first to weeks and if you drop out then they don't charge you. since you won't get your money for at least 4 weeks they kinda make you stay for those 2 weeks so even if you do decide it's not the school for you. tough your still paying them. I would advise to check out other school's. But not to totally stray you from UOP the councilers are very friendly and if your late on a assigment they will cut you some slack. All in all I give UOP a 4 out of 10 rating. but hey that's just my though.

Comment

Unless you know you want to be in LE for your entire career, stay out of the criminal justice programs. A MS in CJS is really only useful to get to the brass positions at local or state PD's. It is not that it is a bad degree, it just limits you. If you get a degree in accounting, or management you options are wider, and you offer more to the higher agency levels. LE is really a business when you get down to it so get a degree that shows you know how to run a major corporation.

Comment

bs in criminal justice management with a minor in business administration; what they said. I would find a state college that offers an online program if you feel the need... just remember, online, you're basically on your own.
          It's not the will to win that matters...everyone has that. It's the will to prepare to win that matters.
          Paul "Bear" Bryant

Comment

There's no point in taking formal classes in anything related to LE. You'll learn everything you need in the academy and then as you begin a career, you'll develop investigative skills too. Instead, focus on a program that teaches you to think, speak, and write critically, because those are the skills that are lacking in day-to-day beat cop functions.

The most important concepts on the street really deal with the 4th amendment anyhow. If it's a career you like and you want to promote, (some departments want an advanced degree) there are plenty of fly-by-night "universities" which will "award" you a degree in any of the following BS subjects:

Enlightened police leadership
            Public safety policy and management
            Underwater basketweaving w/a minor in transgender studies as they relate to law enforcement, with an emphasis on cultural relativity.

Comment

Mba

Originally posted by InspctrClouseau View Post
              SDFGlazer,
              Be VERY careful with the University of Phoenix; my personal experience with them is not a positive one. They appear very helpful and friendly when they're trying to get you to enroll, but looks can be very deceiving. Unfortunately like most entities these days, they're in it only for the money, and they are ridiculously over-priced for what they offer. I'd rather spend the money at a State University where at least I'm getting some kind of bang for my buck.
              They are definitely in it for the profit! $26,000.00 for an accelerated MBA and on top of it most of the agencies have put a hold on Tuition reimbursement.
              Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I've been told by many people in the corporate world that a UOP degree is worthless. I'm not sure how LE views them but if ever try to use it anywhere else, it won't get you very far.

The sergeants I know all have degrees in either psychology or business management.

Comment

Originally posted by DMS80 View Post
                  I've been told by many people in the corporate world that a UOP degree is worthless. I'm not sure how LE views them but if ever try to use it anywhere else, it won't get you very far.

The sergeants I know all have degrees in either psychology or business management.
                  I have heard the same thing from quite a few people too. I think if it came down to two candidates for a position, one with a degree from ASU and the other with a degree from UOP, ASU would be favored.

Comment

UOP is in the business of getting people signed up...and they make a boat load of money doing it.

With the exception of a few careers...employers don't care if your degree is in "nose picking" or "basket weaving" and they don't care where it is from...just that you have one. So get a degree in something that you enjoy...that way you'll hopefully finish the program and have a decent grade.

Comment

Originally posted by SDFGlazer View Post
                      Just wondering if anyone is working on degrees in anything relating to law enforcement. Taking classes on-line? Undergraduate or graduate degree?

Trying to figure out my own career path and would be interested in hearing some feedback. I have a BA but it has nothing to do with law enforcement.

I talked to a councilor at the university of phoenix and they tried to push me towards an MBA which didn't make much sense to me. Wouldn't a masters in Criminal Justice, prison administration etc be more useful? Or go back an get another Undergraduate degree.

Thanks
                      CGCC offers a variety of "certificates" in criminal justice. Like certificates in justice studies and homeland security.

Comment

I am currently working on my BS in Criminology and Criminal Justice at ASU. Including this semester, I have 3 more to go. I have enjoyed my time back in school immensely. I had no idea what I wanted to do when I went to college when I was 17/18, but going to college as an adult is completely different.

I am extremely motivated and I love my classes. So far, I have a 4.0! I never, never did that well in school. Ever.

Anyway, I don't know how useful my degree will be when I graduate. One thing that has been very helpful has been my internship class. I have been working with my city's PD since early this year...as a volunteer. It was through my internship that I learned that LE is really what I want to do.

Comment

I hear ya

Originally posted by CRJ-Jen View Post
                          I am currently working on my BS in Criminology and Criminal Justice at ASU. Including this semester, I have 3 more to go. I have enjoyed my time back in school immensely. I had no idea what I wanted to do when I went to college when I was 17/18, but going to college as an adult is completely different.

I am extremely motivated and I love my classes. So far, I have a 4.0! I never, never did that well in school. Ever.

Anyway, I don't know how useful my degree will be when I graduate. One thing that has been very helpful has been my internship class. I have been working with my city's PD since early this year...as a volunteer. It was through my internship that I learned that LE is really what I want to do.

I had a similar experience went to college after 5 years in the NAV.

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Check out American Military University if you're wanting to take classes online. They're both nationally and regionally accredited.... and their tuition is WAY cheaper than UoP.

Their programs are absolutely fantastic... and there are a few local professors who teach there as well.

Comment

Good Idea

Originally posted by MsSunshine View Post
                              Check out American Military University if you're wanting to take classes online. They're both nationally and regionally accredited.... and their tuition is WAY cheaper than UoP.

Their programs are absolutely fantastic... and there are a few local professors who teach there as well.
                              Sounds good I will check them out....

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4064 users online. 238 members and 3826 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X