Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Civilian firearm transportation in AZ

Sirs,

Thanks in advance for reading this, and offering any advice.

I’m heading to AZ to visit some family next month, from Los Angeles. I’ll be driving. I’m hoping to take my handgun (to shoot with some family members while I’m in town).

I’ll be following the standard California transportation rules, but I was just looking for a little insight on transportation laws in Arizona, just to make sure I’m compliant.

That’s again gentlemen.

A direct copy of the law is found here:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03102.htm

I'm sure a AZLEO will be along shortly to make it clear what they expect, but the current laws are fairly easy to read and interpret.

The NRA has a handy guide as well:
    http://www.nraila.org/GunLaws/#?st=AZ

Comment

Thank you, gentlemen. I don't plan on open carry, as I do not feel comfortable with the level of firearms training that I have to make this safe.

But, from the above post, I would conclude that transportation anywhere in the vehicle, in any state (without round chambered, etc) is acceptable?

Comment

Yeah. I just haven't had enough formal training (read: i've had some, but not in concealment, drawing from holster, etc) to feel comfortable. I'm not bringing the gun for defense, I'm bringing it to shoot with family/friends at my destination.

Unfortunately, I have zero chance of getting a CCW in California.

Does AZ have provisions for out-of-state residents to get CCW's applicable only in AZ?

(For what its worth, this is a "scouting" trip - I hope to be moving to AZ within the year).

Comment

Originally posted by Kennedyford
          Really easy. Open carry state. Cross the line. Place firearm in holster, mag installed. NONE in chamber and not cocked. Put on belt and drive. Walk into anywhere that does not serve alchy and truck stops or otherwise posted.
          If pulled over notify officer before moving hands from steering wheel.
          No point carrying a gun if it isn't loaded.
          -Protect human life and property by enforcing
          state laws, deterring criminal activity, assuring the safety of the motoring public on Arizona’s
          highways and providing vital scientific, technical and operational support to other criminal
          justice agencies.

Comment

Originally posted by Kennedyford
            NONE in chamber and not cocked.
            This is not a distinction made in Arizona law. Loaded or unloaded, cocked or no, it's all the same, and all legal.

Comment

Originally posted by AzPilot View Post
              This is not a distinction made in Arizona law. Loaded or unloaded, cocked or no, it's all the same, and all legal.
              YUP. The only place the distinction is made is on school grounds. Unloaded and out of sight.
              -Protect human life and property by enforcing
              state laws, deterring criminal activity, assuring the safety of the motoring public on Arizona’s
              highways and providing vital scientific, technical and operational support to other criminal
              justice agencies.

Comment

As long as it's in a holster, you can transport it anywhere in the vehicle. I hope you enjoy your stay
                "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by 1200RT View Post
                  Sirs,
                  Dont know about Police work in Cali, but out here in Arizona, we have ladies Police work as well. So maybe next time you want to ask Arizona a question, you dont just address Arizona cops as Sirs. You might just get shot once you cross the state line.

Gitty up

Comment

Originally posted by StalkerCop View Post
                    Dont know about Police work in Cali, but out here in Arizona, we have ladies Police work as well. So maybe next time you want to ask Arizona a question, you dont just address Arizona cops as Sirs. You might just get shot once you cross the state line.

Gitty up

LOL, the AZ locals will spot him out in a second open carrying his firearm. He will probably have that uncomfortable look on his face, knowing that carrying is not something hes used to. Plus coming from California, they put the fear of god in everyone about firearms. Where as they guy who pulls up in Flagstaff at the gas station with his 8" long six shooter has the look of second nature. I love AZ
                    Ready for whatever comes next.

Comment

Originally posted by StalkerCop View Post

Gitty up

I didn't mean any disrespect!

Just trying to be formal and respectful, I guess my "letter writting" skills are a little outdated.

Originally posted by ncbschzzt View Post
                      LOL, the AZ locals will spot him out in a second open carrying his firearm.

Guys and Gals ... Once again, I am NOT going to open carry while in AZ. I just wanted to make sure I was within the law while transporting in my car.

Thanks again!

Comment

AZ CCW:

be a resident of this state or a United States citizen;

be twenty-one years of age or older;

not be under indictment for a felony offense;

not be convicted of a felony offense, unless: the conviction has been expunged, set aside, vacated or pardoned, or the individuals civil rights must be restored AND the individual must not be a prohibited possessor under state or federal law.

not suffer from mental illness and been adjudicated mentally incompetent or committed to a mental institution;

not be unlawfully present in the United States;

satisfactorily complete a firearms safety training program approved by the department of public safety pursuant to ARS §13-3112.O.

Basically, the short answer is YES you can. You have to meet the above requirements which includes successful completion of an AZ CCW class within the State of Arizona.
                        Last edited by Sgt. Slaughter; 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM.
                        NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Thank you very much Sir. Maybe that will be something I'll look into on one of my next trips to AZ.

Thanks again for all the help!

Comment

http://ccw.azdps.gov/

here ya go.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by 1200RT View Post
                              I didn't mean any disrespect!

Just trying to be formal and respectful, I guess my "letter writting" skills are a little outdated.

Guys and Gals ... Once again, I am NOT going to open carry while in AZ. I just wanted to make sure I was within the law while transporting in my car.

Thanks again!

lol, just kidding around buddy. I would agree CCW is the only way to go, just look for a state that is excepted by as many states as you may travel through. For example NV doesn't except Az, but Az excepts Nv. Do some research and go for what ever is most convenient for you.
                              Ready for whatever comes next.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4204 users online. 211 members and 3993 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X