300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPS Post-Academy

Can anyone tell me how long it is, now? Also, what material is covered?

Let's just say I know a guy who's "interested."

Thanks.
    NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

They cover title 28 more in depth, lots more accident investigation, DUI investigation, commercial vehicles, firearms/self defense/Taser training and other DPS related stuff. Advanced Basic guys are also getting sent out on the road to do a ride along for a week (second week I think?) in their assigned areas. I think it's nine weeks total now but I'm not 100% sure.

Comment

This past year or so it was raised to 9 weeks due to adding rifle school. But yes it covers all parts that are indicative of being a highway patrolman. Much more in depth collision investigation, criminal interdiction, pretty heavy on title 28. I didn't know that the ride along was a week now, I only did a day in uniform a couple years ago.
      "When I close my eyes.....I'll see you on the other side....!!!"

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

Yup, I had a guy from advanced basic ride along with me for a week about a month or so ago. It's good to have them get their feet wet and kinda see what it's really like.

Comment

If you go to aleaonline.org, you can download the entire curriculum book. It's like 130 pages of everything.

Comment

That's the AZ POST Basic Training Curriculum. Not DPS Post-Academy, as in AFTER the academy.
            NRA Life Member

The police are the public and the public are the police; the police being only members of the public who are paid to give full time attention to duties which are incumbent on every citizen in the interests of community welfare and existence. - Sir Robert Peel

Every normal man must be tempted at times to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin to slit throats. - H. L. Mencken

Comment

Y'all still issued Sigs?
              NRA Life Member

Comment

Yes to the Sig's....40 caliber

Hate to put it this way skippy, buy every night I suit up and climb in the cruiser I'm at war. I'm always outnumbered, potentially out gunned and always behind enemy lines.

Comment

Thank you!
                  NRA Life Member

Comment

Originally posted by Sgt. Slaughter View Post
                    Y'all still issued Sigs?
                    Sig .40's, Remington 12 gauge W/ extended mag, and Bushmaster AR-15!
                    just a FEW of the toys we get in our TAKE HOME CARS!

"Be without fear in the face of your enemies
                    Be brave and upright, that GOD may love thee
                    Speak the truth always, even if it leads to your death
                    Safeguard the helpless and do no wrong"

Comment

Originally posted by Vlo View Post
                      Sig .40's, Remington 12 gauge W/ extended mag, and Bushmaster AR-15!
                      just a FEW of the toys we get in our TAKE HOME CARS!
                      Will you stop?!?!
                      I am green enough as it is.
                      I do not know if I can get any greener with envy.
                      "I carry a gun cause a cop is too heavy." - unknown

Comment

Do they have you guys doing "stationary patrol" still, or did they ease up on that?
                        NRA Life Member

Comment

I have coming up on two years on the road now and I have no clue what you mean by "stationary patrol..." I've never once been told how much or where to patrol....unless of course we're working a detail. But other than that, it's fair game within my district. I drive alot of miles too, more than anyone on my squad and never once heard anything about it.

Comment

I'd heard that DPS had been told to attempt to remain stationary and run radar as much as possible when the gas prices were sky-high. Not saying that you couldn't go get anyone, just sitting as opposed to driving most of the shift.
                            NRA Life Member

Comment

Last time when gas was really high, they made us limit our miles during shift. This time they did no such thing.
                              sigpic

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7267 users online. 340 members and 6927 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X