Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IIGaugeII
    replied
    The other reason for all the running is to build mental discipline. Thats why we dont generally tell you how far we are running, how long or how fast. The run is only over when we decide it is. Until it is over- just f-ing run till told to stop.

Spoken like a true instructor. I start the academy in October, but have been working at a Military Academy as a Lead Drill Instructor for quite some time. It's all about seeing who has the most heart.
    Sometimes we would take the recruits and do "booger flingers" (Basically just holding your arms out to the sides and flicking your fingers) We would purposefully count to 100, and then keep going. More than 50% of the recruits would stop, or drop their arms simply because they had that mental "stopping point" of 100. (The recruit is thinking that we will stop at 100 because it is a high rep, and an even number)
    After we are done, and a little later in the phase we tell them why we do this, and explain that they stopped not because they physically could not do any more, but simply because they mentally could not do any more.
    It is an excellent training point, and as instructors we see the lightbulb go on over the recruits heads. Later in phase, my platoon would simply do the exercise until their arms failed, regardless of the rep. They learned that they really could do more than they initially thought they could, if they push themselves physically AND mentally.

Are you an RTO or an instructor of some sort? I am excited to start the academy, mostly because I know how the game is played and I want to see how the RTO's play it. Good training = Good times!
    Last edited by IIGaugeII; 09-22-2008, 10:25 PM. Reason: grammer edit

Leave a comment:

• goodcopbadcop
    replied
    The intensity and distance of the runs varies with your instructors. If you suck at running, pray for a SGT and RTOs who are fat- good luck.

The point of all the running is to train the mind of the weak-minded. Many of the recruits are not athletes, dont run and have a generally mushy physique when they show up. Some will think that just because they pass the PT test they are good to go- well that is not the case.

Barely passing the PT test to get into the academy tells us one thing- we have a 50/50 chance of killing you with a good PC routine.

Now the purpose of the running is two-fold.

1- Get you in shape and give you a baseline and routine to hopefully keep after you leave the academy. Unfortunately, too many cops slide back into their donut eating, video game playing lazya55 ways and get fat, groggy and lethargic. I always thought it was pathetic when young 30 y/old cops would come out for the SWAT test and not even pass the physical part. It isnt hard.

2- The other reason for all the running is to build mental discipline. Thats why we dont generally tell you how far we are running, how long or how fast. The run is only over when we decide it is. Until it is over- just f-ing run till told to stop.

This is to build up your mind to never quit during a fight. The only one who gets to quit is the perp. Until you get the cuffs on, KO the guy or back-up arrives- it isnt over. In the training environment, one who quits when we come to the finish line and suddenly turn back around for another 1/2, 1 or two miles lets us all know who we cannot count on.

Food for thought.
    Last edited by goodcopbadcop; 09-22-2008, 12:18 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mystikal
    replied
    it kills me alea focuses on so much running. isn't the point to help establish the foundation for a healthy lifestyle with all kinds of cardio and calestinics and not kill you? how does it normally fare for those that are weak at running but are killer at everything else?

I know personally I wouldn't have survived alea only because of my asthma... which kicks up from high intensity running. here we ran and mixed up with various levels of calestinics but nothing as intense as you guys at alea... we did between 3 and 5 miles after like 8 weeks.. and did a ton of weight training to mix it up as well.

Leave a comment:

• IIGaugeII
    replied
    Originally posted by sheldon1122 View Post
    I know there is a lot of running, but I hear mixed views. some say that they start out running 3 to 5 miles at a time in the first week and others say that its a process, they start out with shorter distances to build you up to the longer runs. What really goes on in there (ALEA)?

It matters little. I have a friend in the academy now, who started last month, and he said just be ready to run. If you can run 3, you should be able to run 5. We are going to be running close to every day, a minimum of 1.5 miles and a maximum of 5 miles within the first month. That maximum will increase to 6 and later, 7 miles.

Point being, just be ready to run. A lot. When you get there day 1 you should have been training beforehand. It is my opinion that the farther and faster you can run before you get to the academy, the easier it will be.
    I run a sprint / endurance program at home, and have been for about a month. Every other day I run 4 miles, and the in between days I do 1/4 mile sprints.

I have heard that those individuals in the academy who find the running difficult and fall behind, or fall out, are the constant targets of the training officers.
    Last edited by IIGaugeII; 09-21-2008, 12:27 PM. Reason: edit to grammer

Leave a comment:

• AzLaw_E
    replied
    it all depends on the sergeant and staff. Some sergeants run 5 days a week starting out some 3. expect to run 2-3 first couple of weeks, progressing to 4-6 on average.

Leave a comment:

• sheldon1122
    started a topic How is the running in the Academy?

How is the running in the Academy?

I know there is a lot of running, but I hear mixed views. some say that they start out running 3 to 5 miles at a time in the first week and others say that its a process, they start out with shorter distances to build you up to the longer runs. What really goes on in there (ALEA)?

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3417 users online. 226 members and 3191 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X