300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How can I make myself stand out at the Oral Boards

I keep hearing that with so many people applying to law enforcement careers you need to make yourself stick out. What can I do? I want this career more than anything. I get kind of discouraged when I see so many people applying for the same position. I could use some advice from some experienced recruits/officers.

Last edited by Ritchie; 10-17-2008, 01:43 AM.

Comment

i am currently in process with phoenix i have my PT test on Oct. 4. i just wanted to be prepared when i meet with them.

Comment

The first time you "meet" with them is when you get called after your written and PT test. It is a meeting with your background investigator. There are no oral boards.

Comment

No official oral board, but my BI did ask me some of the usual questions, such as "why do you want to be a police officer", etc. I'm sure you can respond to that with ease, but just wanted to make sure you don't completely discount those types of questions.

Comment

Hell enjoy it if ther is no Oral Boards! Christ I just did mine for a SD in SC and i will tell you what - no matter how many questions my Mrs asked me and grilled me on - NOTHING prepares you for sitting in front of 7 people MSgts and Under Sheriff's ETC - Christ I had all my answers down until----- but I still think I did well - but christ maybe ill go the PHX just to get hired and not deal with that
            All is 10-61 here you can show me 10-8!

Comment

You could always just go barefoot. I bet you'd stick out then....

j/k, of course. I would suggest being as prepared as possible. Try some "test" questions with a friend or your spouse.

Comment

No more oral boards with PPD, what made them decide to do that and how long has it been that way? WOW I couldn't imagine not needing to worry about that nerve wrecking event. Now I noticed someone said the BI still ask some of the typical questions; do they ask it in a formal setting where you still need to sit stiff as a board, facing them directly, and not moving or is this more of an informal thing while you are there going over your background?

What do you all of you think (especially LEOs) about PPD not having a board; do you think that's for the better or worse? I assume for all of us applicants we would say it's an advantage for us to not have to deal with the near heart attack inducing event

Tucson Police Department
                07/27/08 : Applied
                09/27/08 : Written Test 89/100
                09/28/08 : PT Test Finished Top 3 In Group A
                09/29/08 : Oral Board I Must've Done Well
                10/03/08 : Eligibility Rank #3 Of 51 Remaining
                10/13/08 : Polygraph Passed
                10/15/08 : BI Initiated

Arizona Highway Patrol
                08/18/08 : Applied
                10/13/08 : Withdrawn

Pima County Sheriffs
                10/25/08 : PT Test
                10/25/08 : Written Test
                10/27/08 : Oral Board

"An Arizona Law Enforcement Hopeful"

Comment

Oral Boards are nerve racking, but always remember when you become a police officer, you are going to testify in court in front of many people, with a defense attorney asking you tough, often misleading questions. Just remember, keep your cool and always think about the question before you answer it. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of thinking they have to answer the questions in warp speed. Just listen to the question(s), think about it for a second or two and give your best answer. Good luck.

Comment

Originally posted by shablee View Post
                    Oral Boards are nerve racking, but always remember when you become a police officer, you are going to testify in court in front of many people, with a defense attorney asking you tough, often misleading questions. Just remember, keep your cool and always think about the question before you answer it. I think a lot of people fall into the trap of thinking they have to answer the questions in warp speed. Just listen to the question(s), think about it for a second or two and give your best answer. Good luck.
                    Point well taken

Tucson Police Department

Arizona Highway Patrol

Pima County Sheriffs

Comment

I just did my oral board with DPS a few weeks back, let me tell you.....Buy a nice suite, they say you can show up in a shirt and tie (DON'T)... spend the money and look sharp..... if you go in there and you look like your ready for business there going to notice you, also with DPS you need to study, and study hard, for some reason when i went in there i couldn't remember anything.. I had to sit back for a minute and jog my brain, and i had studied for like 2 months, you get a brain fart or a shock...just STUDY... IDk just my 2 cents for the day

Comment

thanks for help everyone. I am going to sit down with my wife and let drll me with some questions that I might get asked. Sometimes she can be just as intimedating. what about renting a suit? is that not a good idea? or should I just buy one I guess I will need one eventually.

Comment

When I went for my QAB I wore business casual. Collared shirt, dress slacks and dress shoes. I looked nice but I didn't look like I was at the Presidential Ball. A suit and tie aren't going to make you answer the questions any better.

You may feel more confident wearing one and that's your prerogative. Do what you think is best for you.

Comment

Originally posted by sheldon1122 View Post
                            thanks for help everyone. I am going to sit down with my wife and let drll me with some questions that I might get asked. Sometimes she can be just as intimedating. what about renting a suit? is that not a good idea? or should I just buy one I guess I will need one eventually.
                            I'll say go for a suit if it's not going to break your bank; I know I've heard over and over again that how you present yourself DOES MATTER to not only the officers but to the HR side of things as well and effects how they see you.

I'll agree that being in a suit will not give you some magical ability to answer questions any better than if you were in shorts and a dirty shirt HOWEVER those two appearances would make a huge difference of impression upon the folks that are responsible for your making it into the academy.

Now I don't know if wearing a shirt w/ tie is a serious deduction in impression making compared to wearing a full suit but I will be siding with the "better safe than sorry" mentality come my oral interview on Monday. I hope that I'm able to do well as I've definitely taken the time to practice for some time now. I don't want to choke or let nervousness get the best of me which would demonstrate a lack of readiness to become a LEO (since it'll be my first interview EVER I'll have mercy on myself though if I do fail).

Tucson Police Department

Arizona Highway Patrol

Pima County Sheriffs

Comment

Very simply,if you don't own a white collared dress shirt,a pair of dark slacks and a tie then you shouldn't even bother applying.I can buy a pair of Dockers at Target for 20 bucks.Add a button down shirt and a tie for another 30 bucks and you're set. You don't need to walk in dressed in Armani, but look professional.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4975 users online. 311 members and 4664 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X