300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just got hired on, couple Az questions

Hey everyone, just got hired on a department outside of phoenix. I'm from illinois moving down next week and trying to get everything in order. I start in a week!

Whats banks do you all use. I use a small town local one here, and i know some of the large ones are about to tank, just wondering what some good ones are with the best customer service.

Transportation, I plan on driving 23 hours down there with my vehicle. What are Az rules as far as vehicle registration? Am I gonna get wacked again for retail tax when i register the vehicle with the AZ DMV?

I planning on living with my sister in Mesa temporarily, until i get an apartment i suppose. I hear you carpool to ALEA, where i think i am going, but i'm sure i will be told all about that when I get there.

I'm sure I will have lots more questions that i might ask on here, overall, anyone from the Midwest move down there? I know the answer is yes, just looking to get all the help possible, thanks for your help in the past and looking forward to joining you guys ASAP!

Congrats.

Use Chase bank or Bank of America. NO WELLS FARGO!!!

Yes your going to get freaken screwed on your vehicle registration. When I moved here from New York, my two year truck was $50 bucks a year in New York and $400 a year here in AZ. It goes by value of vehicle here not vehicle weight.

Yes you will have to car pool to ALEA.

Good luck. ALEA seems alot easier now days.

Comment

Not trying to Hi-jack but what is so much easier about ALEA?
      Last edited by bar room heroes; 09-11-2008, 12:54 PM.

Comment

Stay away from Bank of America as well. Trust me.

When I lived in Phoenix I used Arizona Federal Credit Union.(www.AZFCU.ORG) I live in Tulsa, Ok. now and I still use them. I've been with them for many, many years and they have been nothing but good to me. They also serve many of the Valley's LEO's. They used to be government only but opened up to everyone a number of years ago. They still cater nicely to LE.

If I recall correctly, you should have a 30 day window on your regestration. Some of the DPS guys here should be able to answer that more accurately than anyone else. I know Illinois is a tax happy state so you may actually save some money. You will have to have a VIN inspection and an emissions test (in Maricopa County) before you will be able to register your vehicle. Look up Emissions testing and go get the test done. I think it's 50 bucks. Take the test to the DMV. The one in North Scottsdale, off Scottsdale Rd North of Kierland, they were always the fastest for me. They can inspect the VIN and get your registered. They can also get your driver's license changed over too.

ALEA questions will be answered as you start there. They are plenty guys here who have been through recently or are in now who can usually help.

PM me if you have any other questions. Im glad to help.

Last edited by -918-; 09-11-2008, 12:46 PM.
        -918-

Peacemakers who sow in peace raise a harvest of righteousness. James 3:18

Clinging to my guns and religion since 1975

Comment

If you were in the Military at all use USAA bank, as long as you have internet access..They are by far the best out of all of them. I have had Wells Fargo, Chase and B of A and USAA takes the cake!!
          Congrats on your employment.

Comment

thanks guys, RJW, I was in the military, and currently have a USAA credit card, How do I open a bank account with them? Where do you get cash if you need it? I'm not familiar with how their Banking system is ran, do they actually have physical locations to assist you? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by StoneWalJackson View Post
              thanks guys, RJW, I was in the military, and currently have a USAA credit card, How do I open a bank account with them? Where do you get cash if you need it? I'm not familiar with how their Banking system is ran, do they actually have physical locations to assist you? thanks
              Go to their website and do some research; it should explain all of this. Probably shouldn't rely on folks on here to be a teller for you.

Comment

Ok maybe I shouldnt have said easier, but they work more gently with the recruits. They now have paint on the walls in the classrooms, ceiling fans, Oh and lets not forget about the canopy that completely covers the parade decks. God help the recruits the actually had to stand out there for hours in black and whites or full gear in the front leaning rest position directly under the sun on a early september day with 100 plus temps.

Comment

Originally posted by StalkerCop View Post
                  Ok maybe I shouldnt have said easier, but they work more gently with the recruits. They now have paint on the walls in the classrooms, ceiling fans, Oh and lets not forget about the canopy that completely covers the parade decks. God help the recruits the actually had to stand out there for hours in black and whites or full gear in the front leaning rest position directly under the sun on a early september day with 100 plus temps.
                  Let me guess....you also had to walk 10 miles each way to and from the academy? Barefooted? Carrying your books? Hehe, kidding.

Comment

WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH! Try going there when it was quanset huts, a 10x20 locker room,2 shower stalls, no gym, swamp coolers & only 4 classrooms. The place is a freakin' college campus compared to when I went! And it's DEFINITELY no longer a "stress" Academy!

Comment

You can use any ATM, and at the end of the month they credit your account of any ATM charge that the other bank charged up to 15 dollars! To open an account you can do it online. Their only physical location is in San Antonio, however, you deposit you checks online through your scanner or you can mail them in, they will send you pre-paid envolps to do that. You can call them and they are very friendly and will help you over the phone.

Comment

Hey Hemi, when you started wasnt life itself in black and white?

Comment

Originally posted by RJW View Post
                          You can use any ATM, and at the end of the month they credit your account of any ATM charge that the other bank charged up to 15 dollars! To open an account you can do it online. Their only physical location is in San Antonio, however, you deposit you checks online through your scanner or you can mail them in, they will send you pre-paid envolps to do that. You can call them and they are very friendly and will help you over the phone.
                          Sounds good man, I just opened a checking account and will soon transfer over money to a savings acount. looks like I might be going through them for everything such as financial planning, investments, insurance etc... might as well go all in.

Comment

Sounds good man, I just opened a checking account and will soon transfer over money to a savings acount. looks like I might be going through them for everything such as financial planning, investments, insurance etc... might as well go all in.
                            I use them for everything except savings account!! I use ING Direct for my saving account..3% interest cannot be beat!!!

Comment

Hey Hemi, when you started wasnt life itself in black and white?

@#$%! that was freakin' hilarous!
                              "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5645 users online. 321 members and 5324 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X