300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pima County Sheriff

Hello, I am very interested in joining one of Arizona's law enforcement agencies, so I'm gathering information about the ones that most interest me which are DPS and the Pima County Sheriff since I live in Tucson.

I also applied for the border patrol but the process came to a stand still because I failed the eye exam. They told me to get a new one which did and now I can see 20/20 but they still don't like the fact that the prescription on my left eye is very high. I'm still working with my doctor to maybe get surgery. The eye exam is the only thing I have left because even the background check already got done.

In the mean time I'm looking at DPS and Pima Sheriff. The AZDPS website is pretty good, I got a lot of information from there. But the Sheriff's web site has very limited information. Does anyone have any knowlege of Pima and how they compare to DPS? Also can prior military buy all their years that they served or is there a limit? Thank you very much

The new guy,

this is my first post by the way so I'd like to send you all greetings

I'll be happy to answer any questions you may have about PCSD. I've been with the department for just over six years. There are plenty of specialty assignments including Criminal Investigations, Motors, DUI, Border Crime, Traffic, etc. While the starting salary is slightly lower than some of the other local agencies, PCSD offers plenty of added equipment and incentives including take home cars, issued Rock River Arms AR15's and Remington 870's, tasers, MDC's, etc. If you have any more specific questions, let me know.

Comment

Thanks tweekhunter, I'm sure I'll have plentty of more questions but for now I'll just start by asking, does anyone know how and when the eye exams are conducted? What is the minimum I have to be without my contacts on?

Comment

Nice to know there is at least one person on this forum that is with the PCSO! I'll be applying for the upcoming opening here on the 5th of October (if i remeber correctly). How about yourself A.J, will you be applying come October?

Tucson Police Department
        07/27/08 : Applied
        09/27/08 : Written Test 89/100
        09/28/08 : PT Test Finished Top 3 In Group A
        09/29/08 : Oral Board I Must've Done Well
        10/03/08 : Eligibility Rank #3 Of 51 Remaining
        10/13/08 : Polygraph Passed
        10/15/08 : BI Initiated

Arizona Highway Patrol
        08/18/08 : Applied
        10/13/08 : Withdrawn

Pima County Sheriffs
        10/25/08 : PT Test
        10/25/08 : Written Test
        10/27/08 : Oral Board

"An Arizona Law Enforcement Hopeful"

Comment

The vision test is conducted as part of the medical screening. This is done near the end of the process, after you have already completed the PT test, oral board, and background. I'm pretty sure that PCSD utilizes the AZ POST strandards for vision:

1. Visual acuity of:

a. 20/20 or better uncorrected;

b. 20/20 or better, corrected by spectacles or hard contact lenses, if uncorrected acuity is 20/80 or better. The applicant shall demonstrate satisfactory adaptation to the contact lenses; or

c. 20/20 or better, corrected by soft contact lenses, if the uncorrected acuity is 20/200 or better. The applicant shall demonstrate satisfactory adaptation to the contact lenses;

Comment

Originally posted by jshawn View Post
            How about yourself A.J, will you be applying come October?
            Hey jshawn, nice to meet you. Yeah, I'll be applying next month. I wish I didn't have to wait so long though. Have you done a ride along yet? If so, how did it go? What did you like the most about PCSD?

Comment

Originally posted by A.J. View Post
              Hey jshawn, nice to meet you. Yeah, I'll be applying next month. I wish I didn't have to wait so long though. Have you done a ride along yet? If so, how did it go? What did you like the most about PCSD?
              Trust me I understand; I'm absolutely hating the wait for each department (I'm trying all options just in case because in the end I just want to at least be in Law Enforcement somewhere if one doesn't pick me up). I'm leaving Active Duty military and going into the Reserves just so I can do this as I've recently come to realize that LE is what I want to experience and it seems nothing else will do (career wise).

I have done one ride along with them and it was good times, the Deputy was cool and informative. I have to admit that I liked the fact that all Deputies carry tasers, their mobile laptops were set up nice, they were very laid back but professional, and the take home program!

Tucson Police Department

Arizona Highway Patrol

Pima County Sheriffs

Comment

I feel the same way. I've been doing the same job for 10 years in the Air Force, jet engine mechanic, when I first enlisted it was never my intention to do this for more than 4 years but then I got married and a year later we had kids and everything got harder. I tried to cross train but my asvab scores weren't high enough to do anything other than maintenance. I even thought about Security Forces but those guys just never get treated right. They work really long hours and get paid the same some one handing out towels and basketballs at the base gym gets.

I became interested in law enforcement after I took a really hard look at myself and realized that what I want the most is for me and my family to be safe from all the scum bags that walk our cities. And what better way than to just join the fight. My parents don't really like the idea of me becoming a cop, they say is too dangerous but I tell them that somebody has to do it. If everyone thought like my parents we would all be screwed

I almost forgot, how do you set up a ride along?
                Last edited by A.J.; 09-05-2008, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Eye Test

I'm curious about the eye test. Do they test with your contacts in or out? Do you have to bring in your prescription for lenses? How do they determine visual acuity?

-B

Comment

The border patrol made me test with and without my contacts. Their standards were 20/20 corrected with both eyes open, and 20/100 uncorrected out of each individual eye. Is that how it is for AZ police departments?

Comment

All I did was go into one of their substations and fill out an ride along application and a liability waiver form. On the application it'll ask you what day and time you want to go on the ride along and from there you just have to wait for the phone call (this comes after they do a quick background check on you).

Tucson Police Department

Arizona Highway Patrol

Pima County Sheriffs

Comment

I see Pima is about to start hiring for another academy. Any ideas on when they will take for 2009??
                        Thomas - aka HUCK
                        PST II - Police Service Tech II

Comment

We have an academy starting next month, but obviously, the hiring process has already been completed for that class. The academy which we are hiring for now will start in March 2009. Also, our academy is now regional, as Marana, Oro Valley, Sahuartita, and South Tucson are utilizing it.

Comment

I am in the process of cleaning up some credit issues so I am going to wait for the next go around and apply. Think my chances would be better once those things are taken care of.
                            Thomas - aka HUCK
                            PST II - Police Service Tech II

Comment

Tweekhunter,

Thought of a couple of questions for you:

1. Where is the sheriff's academy located?
                              2. Do health benefits start from day one?
                              3. How and when are district assignments made?
                              4. Have there been any layoffs or hiring freezes since you have worked there?
                              5. Any tips for academy prep?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6454 users online. 353 members and 6101 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X