300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• arizona state troopers and phoenix

Hello all. I am from New Jersey and just looking around trying to figure out where to apply to. I think Arizona is a beautiful area and I am thinking about flying out and getting the process started. However, aside from what I could find from looking around on the internet, I don't know much about their police departments. Would you guys recommend going the state trooper route or looking into Phoenix police (according to the internet I believe they are both hiring). I was just looking for some opinions on which route you guys would recommend or which one I would have a better shot at getting into. Any opinions or insight would be greatly appreciated. Thank you very much in advance!

WEll, it all depends on what type of LE you like to do. While DPS (HWY PATROL) has its advantages, city LE is alot more varied. If you look at my past posts you'll see my opinion on the whole thing, so I won't boreyou or anyone else with it. If you come out here, I will tell you, you'll see it's alot different than East coast LE.

Comment

Hemicop would you mind just briefly explaining the differences you think between east coast LE and how it is out there. I really like the state of Arizona, and I think they are hiring, so I am really considering it. Thank you very much though for the help.

Comment

Sure. Back East LE is looked at ,almost as a vocation --- out here, it's just a job. you won't find the comraderie here like exists back East & officers & detectives here don't work CIs as much as they do back there. Police agencies here seem to be more conservative than back East & with Phx PD "professional courtesy" rarely exists. these are just some of the differences you'll run into & as a former NYC native, I think this is a fair assessment of the differences........

Comment

Dont let Hemi scare you bro. There is still a lot of professional courtesy around here. Maybe not as solid as back east but it still exist.

Comment

Thanks again guys for the help. I have heard a lot of good things about Arizona so I am gonna have to look into things a little more and hopefully give it a try

Comment

Good thread. I'm going into law enforcement at 48 after doing something else for over 25 yrs. Arizona is an area I am seriously looking at w/the number of departments/employees in the PHX metro area. I've researched all that I can pretty much nationally. Any candid input is also appreciated about depts. +/-'s etc. You can pm if you prefer. Thanks!

Comment

Yeah I am only 22 and just graduated college (bachelor's in CJ), but I am seriously considering moving out to Arizona and hopefully getting my career started. Here in New Jersey it is very difficult to get a job in LE. I have heard a lot of good things about Arizona, and I am hoping that it would be a little easier to get looked at for a job, so I guess I will have to see how things go.

Comment

I spent two months in Phoenix. Its a nice town. I looked into the AZ DPS and they are a good group of folks. Good luck to you

Comment

Arizona doesn't have state troopers. We have highway patrol. (Sorry DPS guys and gals.)

The Arizona County Sheriff's and Police Chief's Associations still rule the roost in Arizona, thank the good LORD.

We do have professional courtesy here in Arizona, in abundance. (This is my adopted home by the way.) I've been a cop here for 21 years and have seen much and learned much during that time.

There is a very, very thin line between "professional courtesy" and "aiding and abetting". Wherever you may go to be a police officer, you will give your word to the people of that state and to our country, to uphold the law and pursue felons. Most jurisdictions (CA's/DA's and individual agencies) give considerable leeway to peace officers, to use their discretion in matters involving misdemeanors and petty offenses but where a felony has been committed, a cop is obliged to do his/her duty and . . . occasionally the perp is a fellow cop. I have booked my share of fellow cops. All were involved in acts of domestic violence. Don't even think about offering a pass to a guy who beats a wife or child.

Arizona is a great state and we have some great agencies and some really great cops but more important than that, we have the greatest citizens to be found anywhere and we (AZ peace officers) are well supported by our citizens and our government.

You're welcomed to come-out and try-out.

Old Dog

Comment

Hey smell, I am from IL. I was a cop for a very short time here. It is just as hard to get in. I spent six years testing. That is why I am starting to test in Arizona. The land is beautiful, the officers I have met have all been stand-up guys.

I live by three little sayings
                      1: It's not not how hard you fall, but how high you can reach on your way back up1
                      2: Everyone makes mistakes, but it takes a smart man to realize that mistake and better himself.
                      3: QUITTING IS NOT AN OPTION I LIVE BY!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Old Dog View Post
                        Arizona doesn't have state troopers. We have highway patrol. (Sorry DPS guys and gals.)
                        sorry about what?
                        "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

Azdps

Hey AZLawDawgs, I know that in California the Highway Patrol gets into plenty of chases with morons; does the same hold true for AZDPS? From what you know do your brethren here to the south get a lot of action on the 19 and 10 compared to the multiple highways up north? It would seem like you guys have plenty of road to get to lay down the law with up there whereas down here we only have the two freeways (10&19)and the 19 is already situated toward the southern end of town.

Tucson Police Department
                          07/27/08 : Applied
                          09/27/08 : Written Test 89/100
                          09/28/08 : PT Test Finished Top 3 In Group A
                          09/29/08 : Oral Board I Must've Done Well
                          10/03/08 : Eligibility Rank #3 Of 51 Remaining
                          10/13/08 : Polygraph Passed
                          10/15/08 : BI Initiated

Arizona Highway Patrol
                          08/18/08 : Applied
                          10/13/08 : Withdrawn

Pima County Sheriffs
                          10/25/08 : PT Test
                          10/25/08 : Written Test
                          10/27/08 : Oral Board

"An Arizona Law Enforcement Hopeful"

Comment

Originally posted by jshawn View Post
                            Hey AZLawDawgs, I know that in California the Highway Patrol gets into plenty of chases with morons; does the same hold true for AZDPS? From what you know do your brethren here to the south get a lot of action on the 19 and 10 compared to the multiple highways up north? It would seem like you guys have plenty of road to get to lay down the law with up there whereas down here we only have the two freeways (10&19)and the 19 is already situated toward the southern end of town.
                            Tucson gets busy, but nowhere near on the same level as Phoenix Metro.
                            "People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." - Orwell

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6806 users online. 352 members and 6454 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X