300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NARTA next week...

Anyone on here attending the next class at NARTA starting on the 18th? Just wanted to check and see if anyone else was out there. There's five of us attending from Flag PD, and one from CCSO.

Chat soon.

TR
    Do I look like a freakin "people" person??? Sign here, press hard, five copies.

congrats.
    It will be fun
    It will be scary
    The end result will be rewarding.

Comment

Thanks. I'm looking forward to it. Boot camp was 22 years ago...I'll have to remember (quickly) how to get yelled at again!

Comment

Toprad, congrats on getting threw the hiring process. I'm still in hurry up and wait mode.

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

TopRad,

Your worst day at the academy likely will not be any worse than your average duty day in the corps. The academy is a joke compared to boot camp/basic training.

I was hired 1 year out of the Army and it was a 16 week vacation compared to what I was used to. They have absolutley no concept of what it is to thrash or smoke someone so you will never see that. The only difficult or work-intensive part is the academics. They pile 30 some-odd credits on you in a few weeks so it is busy.

It will be fun.
          Last edited by goodcopbadcop; 08-24-2008, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Thanks gents.

We just finished Week One, and you're right, compared to my experience on the "Yellow Footprints", it was cake. I found out right away that if you're squared away, and don't let the DI's rattle you, they don't mess with you. Being a retired Marine helps a bit too, I think. I got smoked the second day of the academy, but then so did everyone else, but nothing since then. You are right about the academics...that is pretty extensive so far, and there's tons more to go, but I think I'll be able to handle that. Its all about studying and making sure I keep all the handouts they give so I can study for the cumulative final later on. They do pretty extensive reviews for the tests though...they really don't want anyone to fail. But they do want to weed out those who can't really hack it. As they say here, you have to do a "gut check" every day. Well, no worries. We already had one guy quit last week. Apparently, this life wasn't for him. No shame there. Didn't have the Warrior Ethos I guess.

Anyway, its been pretty good so far. I'm hoping we get to switch from business attire to uniforms next week...all depends on how long it takes these guys who DON'T have military experience to get their heads out of their butts. Some have no concept whatsoever of teamwork. Pretty sad actually.

Take care guys, and thanks again for the words of encouragement. DJBlank, keep plugging away bud, and good luck. I hope you hear some positive news soon.

SF

TR

Comment

Best of luck TR, keep us posted when you get time. I will let you know when I hear something.

I just found out I passed the Oral Board but got DQ'ed by something in my background. Best of luck to you in your new career.
              Last edited by djblank87; 08-25-2008, 01:31 PM. Reason: info

CrossFit

RossTraining

Comment

Hey all. Just started Week 3. Doing pretty good so far. The academics are pretty heavy, lots of pretty boring stuff, but the instructors do a good job making the classes interesting. We've lost 4 guys to date. The PT has settled down to a regular (somewhat) routine. We're starting to get into the fun stuff...DT, Fingerprinting, etc. Can't wait for firearms week (long way down the road!). The best thing about the academy so far is the drive back to Flagstaff on Friday afternoons!

DJ...sorry to hear you got DQ'd bud. Good luck with the other agencies you're working on.

Chat soon.

TR

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6250 users online. 345 members and 5905 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X