300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is there no sheriff's?

So am I right in that there is no sheriffs depts. in alaska that the state troopers do all the policeing for areas out of the towns and citys?

Thanks,
    AB04

Correct. The 4 years I lived up there I don't recall ever hearing of a Sheriff Office. Anchorage PD covers all cities/towns within the municipality of Anchorage. Any other towns that don't have a local PD are covered by the staties.
    sigpic

Comment

Alaska does not have a "County" form of government. The closest thing would be the "Borough" but even those don't cover the whole state. Those areas that are covered by boroughs vote on what type of services they will provide. For example the Ketchikan Gateway Borough does not provide any type of police services except at the airport.

In Alaska the Alaska State Troopers are the "Officers of the Court". They are responsible for all of the duties that a county sheriff would do in the lower 48.
      AST also uses Court Services Officers in some of the larger areas of the state to accomplish this.

Comment

Is there no Sheriff's

In Alaska there are no Sheriff's. The Alaska State Troopers handle law enforcement outside the incorporated City's, Towns and Municipalities, with the exception of I think two Borough Police Departments. There are no counties in Alaska. They have Boroughs.

Comment

Thanks all

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4705 users online. 262 members and 4443 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
          Working...
          X