Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Barrow Police Department

Hi guys,
    Has anyone worked for Barrow PD? I'm looking for any information about their police department such as benefits, pay scale and size of department.

Here's what I replied to your first post:

I work for that department; it's actually the North Slope Borough Police Department. We cover Barrow (and we're based in Barrow) as well as 8 other villages in an area about the size of Oregon.

Pay is great; it starts at about $32 per hour DOE (it goes up from there). Benefits are also good; we have excellent dental, vision, and medical with no employee contribution. The medical insurance will also pay 80% of a plane ticket to Anchorage for doctor visit twice per year.

We have about 20 officers (not including the brass). Barrow officers live in Barrow and work four 12 hour shifts one week, three 12 hour shifts the next. Village officers work two weeks straight in the village, then have two weeks off (I'm on this schedule). The department flies us round trip as far as Anchorage. While on slope we live in a TDY apartment in the station.

All new hires start in Barrow, then they can bid for a rotational village position when it comes available.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Comment

So when did they start the rotational village shifts? That's a lot different when I worked there. Do you go back to the same village every rotation?
      Are you working by yourself or do you have a partner? Back in the day we usually had 2 people in each village. I must admit though I don't know why we needed 2 officers in Point Lay. I think in 1984 they only had 12 service calls for the whole year. That means each officer answered one call every other month.

Comment

Originally posted by stiffnecked View Post
        So when did they start the rotational village shifts? That's a lot different when I worked there. Do you go back to the same village every rotation?
        Are you working by yourself or do you have a partner? Back in the day we usually had 2 people in each village. I must admit though I don't know why we needed 2 officers in Point Lay. I think in 1984 they only had 12 service calls for the whole year. That means each officer answered one call every other month.
        We went fully rotational last summer; Kaktovik was the last village to do so. I'd be stationed in Kaktovik for 4 years before going rotational, and I'm still there now. Before going rotational it was just me here; now there are two of us who trade off. Most of us go back to the same village each rotation, but the department sometimes moves people around as needed.

Comment

Thanks for the info Jakflak,
          It sounds like a pretty good department to work for. What kind of police units do you and your fellow officers drive? I met one of your former police officers who is now a police chief in a small town in Oklahoma. He said it was a great place to work but had to retire, something about age limits. The pay sounds great. I did get to work in your beautiful state once, I worked in Anchorage for about 5 weeks back in 2005. I worked for a security company who provided security for Northwest Airlines during their machanic strike. I guarded their passenger and cargo aircraft that came to Ted Stevens Airport. It was a great experience. I loved alaska, and have always wanted to go back someday. I loved the weather, sure beats 100 degree days in Oklahoma.

Comment

Originally posted by aircop26 View Post
            Thanks for the info Jakflak,
            It sounds like a pretty good department to work for. What kind of police units do you and your fellow officers drive? I met one of your former police officers who is now a police chief in a small town in Oklahoma. He said it was a great place to work but had to retire, something about age limits. The pay sounds great. I did get to work in your beautiful state once, I worked in Anchorage for about 5 weeks back in 2005. I worked for a security company who provided security for Northwest Airlines during their machanic strike. I guarded their passenger and cargo aircraft that came to Ted Stevens Airport. It was a great experience. I loved alaska, and have always wanted to go back someday. I loved the weather, sure beats 100 degree days in Oklahoma.
            Was the guy you met Don White?

In Barrow they drive Ford Expeditions, in the village we have both a Ford Expedition and a Ford F250, but we're supposed to be driving the newer F250s. We also have snowmobiles and 4-wheelers.
            Last edited by jakflak; 06-07-2007, 12:19 PM.

Comment

jakflak,
              I don't think his name was Don White, to be honest I don't remember his name. I'm not sure if the guy still works at Konawa PD or not, but the department info that I have found is a different guy. Your department vehicles sound great, I'm guessing ya'll don't see many pursuits in your neck of the woods. We by now means come even close to your weather extremes during our winters, but our last winter had three storms that made driving quit tricky. 10 inches of snow in one storm is probably nothing compared to your weather up north. I just wish we got more snow here.

Comment

Hi guys,
                Is anyone working for Barrow PD? I'm looking for any information about their police department hiring process for entry level out of state applicants.

Comment

jakflak still works there. I applied and was invited though the testing process but ended up in SE AK instead. When I applied earlier this year they where going to do the testing in Anchorage over a couple of days.
                  (\__/)
                  (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
                  (")_(")
                  Copy and paste Bunny into your
                  signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3555 users online. 210 members and 3345 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                  Working...
                  X