Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

thinking of trying to become a Alaska State Trooper, am I to old?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thinking of trying to become a Alaska State Trooper, am I to old?

So I work part time as a officer in Texas, plus work as a manager in a food plant. I am 43, in good shape, run lift etc. Is it crazy to thing I could do this? Probably be 45 by the time I got into the academy. Also once in the academy is there any contact with family or just by phone? is there a mandatory retirement age?

Thanks for for the help

I don't know, so can't help you there. I can tell you that at the Sheriff's office they hired a 42 year old about a year ago. I think sheriffs generally play by different rules with regards to age limits. May not be the same in Alaska though.

Comment

Originally posted by TX Longhorn View Post
      So I work part time as a officer in Texas, plus work as a manager in a food plant. I am 43, in good shape, run lift etc. Is it crazy to thing I could do this? Probably be 45 by the time I got into the academy. Also once in the academy is there any contact with family or just by phone? is there a mandatory retirement age?

Thanks for for the help
      There are a lot of variables which only you can determine. There's no age limit past 21 to apply, and the full retirement info can be found at: Alaska Division of Retirement and Benefits, Public Employees’ Retirement System (PERS) Plan Comparison Chart. Look at Tier IV, as that is what new hires are hired under. All recruits must meet the same PT standard, regardless of age and sex. Once at the academy, there is limited phone/email contact with family, and family is only allowed one weekend visit. Keep in mind that the academy is in Sitka, on an island. Please read the recruitment web site carefully and do some research on AST to get a better idea of what you're considering. Have you been to Alaska? If you get the chance, I highly suggest taking a trip up here to take a look around. Some love it, others not so much, but I would want to know what I was asking for.

Comment

Thank you for the information. I have been to Alaska. Love it there. My wife and I have lived in Minnesota so we know about cold.
        I guess the concern I have is if I wanted to work 20 years, is that realistic? 65 and a trooper? Is there many my age in the academy?

Thank you again for your help

Comment

Thank you for the information. I have been to Alaska. Love it there. My wife and I have lived in Minnesota so we know about cold.
          I guess the concern I have is if I wanted to work 20 years, is that realistic? 65 and a trooper? Is there many my age in the academy?

Thank you again for your help
          No, there are not many anywhere that keep working in LE past 65, not as a patrol trooper anyway. However, there are quite a number of troopers who are on their second career, mostly after retiring from military service at around 40 years of age. They all go through the academy. Is 20 years realistic, starting at age 45? Probably not, but that really depends on you, your health, energy, motivation, etc.

Comment

Thanks for your words of wisdom. This is something I really want to do. My son is grown now, in fact he just graduated the police academy down here in Texas. So it's just my wife and I and she is up for it too. We will see what happens.

Thanks again for your help

Comment

Thanks for your words of wisdom. This is something I really want to do. My son is grown now, in fact he just graduated the police academy down here in Texas. So it's just my wife and I and she is up for it too. We will see what happens.

Thanks again for your help
              An interesting story. Please keep us in the loop! Good luck!!!

Comment

Thanks for for the help
                I'd like to hear how things turn out as i will be applying to another agency in anchorage in december.
                good luck!

Comment

Brother, as long as you stay in shape you're not too old. I'm 48 and thinking about applying. There's something to be said about experience and not being a hot-headed rookie. As an FTO the oldest "rookie" I every trained was a 56 year old retired preacher that turned out to be a great cop.

I spent two years in Kosovo with the United Nations Police Task Force and there were guys there in their late sixties still getting it done, and Kosovo was a hard place to live and work. Much like Alaska, but as far as I know, AK does not have landmines or RPGs. Go for it!

Comment

I've decided to apply - will be 49 in Dec so you don't have to worry about being the oldest to apply lol

Comment

tx longhorn, just curious if you made it

Comment

Any of you guys make it??

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4494 users online. 234 members and 4260 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X