Saint paul island.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Saint paul island.

There's a multidisciplinary police officer position open on Saint Paul Island in Alaska. Incumbents are all-hazards responders: law enforcement, firefighting, EMS, SAR, emergency management, etc. This is a remote posting with housing available. Oh yeah, the pay's pretty good, as well. Please send me a PM, if interested.... --K.

What agency is this through?
    I have a million hats.

Comment

It's a municipal police officer position. The official ad is posted here: http://www.akml.org/Classifieds.html
      But, I'll answer questions best I can via PM. Stay safe! --K.

Comment

I hope the pay is better than the 39k listed. For that, I think i'd stay in Florida..LOL..
        The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

If they're certifying you in fire too that might be worth the pay cut. In Alaska you can transfer your retirement between Police, Fire, and Corrections.

Comment

I'm just curious as to why keep it strictly PM. Why not allow everyone to see questions and comments, and learn about a place (not just work environment) that most will never see or experience. I imagine it's quite an adventure
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

Comment

One thing that everyone should keep in mind is the cost of living in Alaska and how it compares to your wages.

If your looking for adventure, western Alaska has got plenty!

Comment

Our salaries are a pay band: $39K, for instance, would be for a brand new hire with no law enforcement experience. An experienced officer would start at the higher end up to $49K. Officer salaries go much higher than that with merit increases. Higher ranking officers make even more, obviously. But, it's a fair wage especially considering that the housing is provided at low cost to police officers with utilities included....

I'm more than happy to discuss the place itself, it's beautiful, it's windy and there's ample police activity for a town its size. Plus, we have the "Deadliest Catch" boats coming in and out. This is, in its basic essence, a quintessential Alaska fishing village. As a result, we have some of the best seafood you'll ever eat (mostly halibut and crab). . . . --K.

Comment

Oh...and there's good hunting here, too. There's a reindeer herd on the Island. Plus, approximately 250 different species of birds...many of which you may hunt. The locals can hunt/harvest fur seals, sea lions, etc., as well. --K.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
                    I hope the pay is better than the 39k listed. For that, I think i'd stay in Florida..LOL..
                    Well, I can understand the concern. But, we have an authorized starting range. And that STARTING range is $39K to $49K. The position itself has a wider pay band in which, as a line officer, tops out at around $59K. --K.
                    Last edited by BushCop9P1; 12-26-2011, 11:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dannmann1050 View Post
                      I'm just curious as to why keep it strictly PM. Why not allow everyone to see questions and comments, and learn about a place (not just work environment) that most will never see or experience. I imagine it's quite an adventure
                      No problem here. Not strictly PM, but, some of the more intimate details of the place/position are better to describe directly to a potential hire. Some other information is available here:
                      http://www.stpaulak.com/ . . . . Thanks! --K.

Comment

Originally posted by ArcticCop View Post
                        One thing that everyone should keep in mind is the cost of living in Alaska and how it compares to your wages.

If your looking for adventure, western Alaska has got plenty!
                        Exactly! And, with what the officers pay for housing (well below market rate), they do just fine. Many bush jobs have an inherent difficulty relative to housing availability, affordability and the associated costs of utilities. --K.

Comment

City info LINK and LINK from the state gov website.

From looking into the island data, even for remote Alaskan, crime seems higher than average, is my impression.

I showed the map to my wife ..... it'll be a tough sell, looks like a small adventure though.
                          Last edited by CountyGuy; 12-26-2011, 02:25 AM.

Comment

Every part of Alaska is an adventure

Comment

Originally posted by CountyGuy View Post
                              City info LINK and LINK from the state gov website.

From looking into the island data, even for remote Alaskan, crime seems higher than average, is my impression.

I showed the map to my wife ..... it'll be a tough sell, looks like a small adventure though.
                              That is correct. It's not that slow for the tiny population.... But, Western Alaska is somewhat known for its unique issues: http://www.adn.com/2011/12/24/223318...n-alaskas.html . --K.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4118 users online. 134 members and 3984 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                              X