Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Only ONE WEEK left to apply for the APD opening!!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Since the person that posted the info has since deleted it let me restate that the opening for the police officer positions has been extended to June 24, 2011 to provide an opportunity to get more applicants for the planned October academy.

Steve

Comment

I didn't mean to start a controversy with my comment. I understand the need for the extension. I just get a foreboding feeling of rejection whenever I've applied for something and then they say, oh we want more applicants....my brain translates that to mean "better" applicants.

From APD's standpoint, they don't yet know what they have to work with since most haven't done the testing yet. It's just a matter of practicality and making sure the highest possible number of candidates make it to the academy because they also know that the vast majority won't.
      "All that is, ever
      Ever was, will be, ever
      Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

To start, I know that Anchorage says they usually only pass 2-3% of applicants. Does that mean that if only 300 apply, there is no way that 28 are acceptable? Do only the top few % pass even if more are qualified?

Comment

It still amazes me how everyone gets wrapped around the numbers.

Apply, do your best, and learn from it. It will NOT help you if you dwell on the figures. Only the best suited will be selected (this round), we have been doing this from the beginning of time, "only the strong survive/natural selection" etc.

Just do your best, that is all anyone can ask for from you. Remember, some people are not cut out for this particular type of work. Testing and selection will ultimately help in retention, there is no offense to the individual, don't take it personal but learn from it.

Though, if you don't make it the first time, don't give up either. If I would have given up the first, second, or third time, I wouldn't be an officer today.

I mean no disrespect from this post but only hope the best for all applicants, good luck.

JC
          Last edited by asianhulk; 05-20-2011, 08:21 AM. Reason: added info
          Disclaimer: The writer does not represent any organization, employer, entity or other individual. The views expressed are those only of the writer. In the case of a sarcastic, facetious,nonsensical, stirring-the-pot, controversial or devil's advocate-type post, the views expressed may not even reflect those of the writer [This sig stolen from That Guy who stole it from Brickcop who stole it from Frank Booth].

Comment

Originally posted by mnwannabe View Post
            To start, I know that Anchorage says they usually only pass 2-3% of applicants. Does that mean that if only 300 apply, there is no way that 28 are acceptable? Do only the top few % pass even if more are qualified?
            The 2% to 3% was the average success rate of applicants, not that we only took the top 2-3%. The odds are that if only 300 apply there will not likely be 28 succesful applicants out of that 300. For example typically 50% of the applicants do not pass the very first stage of the selection process (the written/video test). Hope this explains it.

Steve

Comment

Thanks for the reply Steve. Is this the same written and video test that was done when you came to MN in 2008?

Comment

Same basic test, we have a couple of versions but essentialy the same type of test. The physical agility is different so be sure to view the video on www.joinapd.org.

Steve

Comment

Steve, Is the video test similiar to the BPAD test or completely different?

Comment

Not sure what the BPAD test is so I can't say for sure. It is a scenario driven test where you watch a video and given 2-4 options to choose from and you pick what you think is the best course of action. There used to be a sample video on Ergometrics website but I haven't check lately to see if it is still there.

Steve

Comment

Alright, it is a test where you watch a scenario take place and they record your answers as if you were a police officer. Sort of a what would you do or thinking on your feet. A very awkward test. Also, can you give insight to the testing? First day is written and physical agility, then you are notified whether you passed and do you come back the next day or how do they do that in terms of how much they accomplish in one day

Comment

Those you pass the testing in the morning will be doing the physical ability in the afternoon. We will try and make the most of everyone's time.

Steve

Comment

is it possible there is only 32 applicants so far? Just curious as whoever sent out the email didn't disclose the other recipients and there were alaska emails and out of staters also.

Comment

Originally posted by evans357 View Post
                            is it possible there is only 32 applicants so far? Just curious as whoever sent out the email didn't disclose the other recipients and there were alaska emails and out of staters also.
                            No.

lol

Multiply that by ten and you might be in the ballpark.
                            "All that is, ever
                            Ever was, will be, ever
                            Twisting, turning, through the never."--Metallica

Comment

Hey does anyone know of any decent hotels (and reasonably priced) near the testing site. I am trying to plan this trip on as big of a budget as I can. I just booked my flight today. Any help would be appreciated! Good luck to everyone!
                              Last edited by Alaska_Bound; 05-26-2011, 02:13 AM. Reason: spelling error (stupid phone)

Comment

i know that wasn't realistic, just figured I would throw that out there since they extended the deadline. considering the last round of testing I was at there were 800 applicants that is a good number to see.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5014 users online. 294 members and 4720 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X